can you cruise with sinus infection?? leaving soon!

nickd508

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are set to cruise Saturday on the Reflection, and flying to Miami on Friday. She found out she has a sinus infection, and is taking antibiotics currently . Is it still ok to cruise? We are so excited for our first cruise, and I feel bad she has this. Has anyone dealt with this before? Will it make motion sickness worse? This is bad timing for sure!

Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

She should continue to take her meds as long as required. If she has motion sickness, I'd check with her DR. to see if the meds would react with seasick medication.

I have mitral valve prolapse and A-fib. Never had a problem with, or been told that I shouldn't use a decongestant. :rolleyes:

My husband and I both had colds - his a sinus infection, when we flew earlier this month. The only time we had a problem in the air was with the descent. Just a lot of pressure, but no pain.

Husband used the ENT suggested Afrin. It did no good. BTW - The Z-pack did not work for him so ENT prescribed something stronger. DH was on an antibiotic for 2 weeks before he started to clear up.

I took Benadryl for another flight (we flew to Israel - 3 legs) and it worked.

Thank you to the person that suggested a Balloon Sinuplasty. :) I am going to mention this to my husband. He gets 4-6 sinus infections a year.

I was sick for about 2 months prior to my last cruise. The night before the cruise left we were in Tampa, and I was coughing nonstop so I knew something was wrong. Went to Urgent Care, diagnosed with Bronchitis, started a Z pac and prednisone regime.

Answered NO to the sickness question because the doc said I was fine and not contagious once I started the meds. and I know my body.

Had a great cruise, albeit, a little less energy than normal.

Okay, here's another suggestion. Get some eucalyptus oil and put just a few drops on a small bit of fabric. Stash that in something resonably airtight - I use a screw-top medicine bottle. Now and then during the flight, take a quick whiff. It really opens everything up.

Okay, here's another suggestion. Get some eucalyptus oil and put just a few drops on a small bit of fabric. Stash that in something resonably airtight - I use a screw-top medicine bottle. Now and then during the flight, take a quick whiff. It really opens everything up.

for you and everyone around you.....:eek:

Both my husband and I have used Earplanes with good results. Be sure to follow the directions and insert and remove them at the recommended times.

The last time my husband flew with sinus issues, he used Earplanes and experienced some pain but not nearly as severe as he would've had he not used the Earplanes.

I was recovering from a sinus infection last time I cruised. I found that using a sinus wash every day the week before I went (I prefer the squeeze bottle over a neti pot) really helped. I was going to suggest strong decongestants too, but I see that she can't take those. Sinus infection while on antibiotics isn't going to be contagious to anyone. I don't think it is even if not on antibiotics. So, this is not the type of thing the cruise line would care about.

I hope you both have a wonderful cruise!

So where did you get the distilled water to use for your sinus rinse?

So where did you get the distilled water to use for your sinus rinse?

Just at the grocery store in a gallon jug. You'll see both spring water and distilled water. Just get the distilled.

Just at the grocery store in a gallon jug. You'll see both spring water and distilled water. Just get the distilled.

:) I know where to get it at home - just questioning how to take the distilled water on the ship. I hate to have to drag it on board with everything else. Does the ship have distilled water or is the purification system they use on their water ok to use for a sinus rinse?

Oops - sorry! I didn't do the sinus rinse while I was on the ship - I just did it before I left. I wouldn't use the ship's tap water for a sinus rinse. I don't know if they have distilled water available on ship - I doubt it. You could maybe buy it before boarding and put it in a smaller container to carry on. Otherwise, I have no idea. Sorry!

The sinus rinse works wonders, but requires about 8oz of water, which will make it difficult to take on the plane. I would start the sinus rinse ASAP (I like the NeilMed squeeze bottle, which you can buy at any pharmacy as well as Costco), and plan on buying a bottle of distilled water at a grocery store before you board. I would not use the water on board.