Booked another... Back to Alaska

triptolemus

...this time on the Pearl in September 2015. It will be our third trip to Alaska but our first into Glacier Bay. This may also give us the change to see Tracy Arm / Sawyer Glacier in a smaller boat on a tour, we'll see.

Having done AK twice, I can already feel the relaxation coming on. The crippling anticipation of what lies ahead is replaced with the soothing anticipation of spending time in a familiar and beautiful place.

This also represents our first time having two cruises booked simultaneously. We're fully addicted, apparently.

I can't wait to try tipsy bowling on a rolling ship...

We live about 20 miles north of the Pier so it is super convenient for us. You will love Glacier Bay! Tracy Arm is more intimate but Glacier Bay on a beautiful day when the water is like glass...priceless. They are very different experiences. You get a majestic look at Margerie Glacier up in Glacier Bay and in 2009 we saw an AMAZING calving! We do also enjoy the itinerary for the Glacier Bay cruise too. More time in ports to give you the time to decide if you want to do something there...or not. It is nice going to the same ports several times because you can relax so much more on your cruise and not feel like you have to cram it all in just to end up exhausted at the end of your cruise :p We just don't know which cruise to be excited about more...our honeymoon cruise in the 2 bedroom penthouse this may or our anniversary cruise in 2015 the 9 day in our first experience on the front of the ship in an SE penthouse! I would say it is equal excitement and anticipation. We do enjoy Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier a lot but really look forward to Glacier Bay.

Edited by kdzkatz
pic didn't show up

...this time on the Pearl in September 2015. It will be our third trip to Alaska but our first into Glacier Bay. This may also give us the change to see Tracy Arm / Sawyer Glacier in a smaller boat on a tour, we'll see.

Having done AK twice, I can already feel the relaxation coming on. The crippling anticipation of what lies ahead is replaced with the soothing anticipation of spending time in a familiar and beautiful place.

This also represents our first time having two cruises booked simultaneously. We're fully addicted, apparently.

I can't wait to try tipsy bowling on a rolling ship...

You sure know how to turn a phrase! :D

We have been to Alaska twice but plan to go back again. There is nothing else like it!

Happy cruising!

I'm loving this thread! I'm booked on the Pearl in July, 2015 round trip from Seattle. How exactly does the Tracy's Arm excursion work? You leave the ship and board a different (smaller one?) to see it?

Any other excursion 'must do's' on this itinerary?

Thanks all!

I'm loving this thread! I'm booked on the Pearl in July, 2015 round trip from Seattle. How exactly does the Tracy's Arm excursion work? You leave the ship and board a different (smaller one?) to see it?

Any other excursion 'must do's' on this itinerary?

Thanks all!

I understand that there's an excursion which leaves round trip from Juneau for the Pearl. There's another that matches up with the Jewel and you meet back up with the ship inside the Arm. Basically a smaller craft takes you far closer to Sawyer than the ship can get,

This is mostly based on reading here...I haven't researched it very much besides casually browsing NCL.com.

The WP&YR railroad trip in Skagway is good. Butchart Gardens in Victoria. A lot of folks like any of the whale watching tours but I haven't done one. The Eagle Preserve Float is a good one we really enjoyed (Hanes/Skagway). Erm... there's so many... love dogs? The Musher's Camp has cheez-factor, but its good fun. Read the ports of call boards and some of the Alaska reviews from 2013 for more on all the recent excursions.

I understand that there's an excursion which leaves round trip from Juneau for the Pearl. There's another that matches up with the Jewel and you meet back up with the ship inside the Arm. Basically a smaller craft takes you far closer to Sawyer than the ship can get,
This is mostly based on reading here...I haven't researched it very much besides casually browsing NCL.com.

The WP&YR railroad trip in Skagway is good. Butchart Gardens in Victoria. A lot of folks like any of the whale watching tours but I haven't done one. The Eagle Preserve Float is a good one we really enjoyed (Hanes/Skagway). Erm... there's so many... love dogs? The Musher's Camp has cheez-factor, but its good fun. Read the ports of call boards and some of the Alaska reviews from 2013 for more on all the recent excursions.

This will give you an idea...

IMG_3161-vi.jpg

How else are you going to get pictures like this? :)

DSCN5274-vi.jpg

We've been there twice (once on the Pearl), so here is what I recommend. Bring your knitted hat, smart wool socks, gloves, etc. so that you can stay outside for a good portion of the day. We had a balcony on the second one, so we stayed outside roaming the decks (mostly promenade) while they approached the big glaciers. It was lunchtime when we swung around, so I quickly got something to go and enjoyed the balcony viewing when it was on our side. I believe the approach is to have the best view on the port side first and then the ship turns 180 degrees for the other side.

I went to the ranger's talk which was very good, but then I missed some great scenery. It should be a glorious day for you. Don't fret if it starts out foggy. I think that is a typical day.

BTW- Butchert Gardens sometimes doesn't work out well in Victoria as most ships arrive near dusk and lots of folks are disappointed. Consider the time of year that you will be there and if the ship has a rep of getting there late. We took HAL and they arrived about 7:15- over an hour late. I personally like the Pearl over the Westerdam as Skagway is SO much better with the train and the Yukon and a very long day there.

We're going back too.. but this year. Going to close out the season on the Pearl, I was hoping to do the Tracy Arm excursion but it's not offered on our trip. This will be our first time seeing Glacier Bay.

Alaska does seem to be habit forming, so many start out as a 'once in a lifetime' trip...then find themselves returning. Personally, I'd do Alaska every year if I had the opportunity. It just seems more relaxing than the Caribbean to me. And it doesn't hurt that it's such a nice change of pace cool off after our brutal summers :rolleyes:

Enjoy your Trip,

Tutu

beautiful pics! Were those taken on a tour or off a cruise ship? I'd guess tour?

I want to go back now.

Those were on the Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier tour. The ship only gets within a mile or 2 of the glacier

We're going back too.. but this year. Going to close out the season on the Pearl, I was hoping to do the Tracy Arm excursion but it's not offered on our trip. This will be our first time seeing Glacier Bay.

Alaska does seem to be habit forming, so many start out as a 'once in a lifetime' trip...then find themselves returning. Personally, I'd do Alaska every year if I had the opportunity. It just seems more relaxing than the Caribbean to me. And it doesn't hurt that it's such a nice change of pace cool off after our brutal summers :rolleyes:

Enjoy your Trip,

Tutu

I agree with you, especially living in San Diego. I can have a beautiful beach any day if I want, so Caribbean cruises are about the ship, family and relaxation. Alaska, however, is about the destination and scenery for me. I also love the cool weather since it's generally pretty warm here most of the time.

I guess if you lived somewhere cold or land locked, the opposite would be true...the warm Caribbean would be looking real good