Reveal Your 2014 Alaska Itinerary Plans

Italy52

Picking up some great information here, we are still organising our tours and working out what to do in Seattle and Vancouver. Long holiday for Hubby and I.

Aug 29 - Fly Sydney Aust to Seattle via Hawaii

Aug 30 - Sept 1 - Seattle (Pike Market, HOHO, Space Needle etc)

Sept 1 - Amtrak to Vancouver

Sept 1-Sept 3 - Vancouver (HOHO, Grouse Mountain, Capillano etc)

Sept 3 - Board Volendam

Sept 4 - Inside Passage

Sept 5 - Tracy Arm (service call) - doing ship tour into Tracy Arm

Sept 5 - Juneau: Mendallhall Glacier when we get back from Tracy Arm, would like to try and do a helicopter flight but unsure timing and who to go with

Sept 6 - Skagway: Mushers Camp and Dog Sled tour

Sept 7 - Glacier Bay

Sept 8 - Ketchikan: Possibly Bering Sea Crab Fishermans Tour

Sept 9 - Inside Passage

Sept 10 - Vancouver

Sept 10 - Sept 12 Vancouver (whatever we didn't see in the first few days)

Sept 12-Sept 22 Vancouver to Hawaii on Radiance of the Seas

Sept 22 -Oct 11 - Hawaii to Sydney Australia via French Polynesia and New Zealand on Radiance of the Seas

Kirrarne

Picking up some great information here, we are still organising our tours and working out what to do in Seattle and Vancouver. Long holiday for Hubby and I.

Aug 29 - Fly Sydney Aust to Seattle via Hawaii

Aug 30 - Sept 1 - Seattle (Pike Market, HOHO, Space Needle etc)

Sept 1 - Amtrak to Vancouver

Sept 1-Sept 3 - Vancouver (HOHO, Grouse Mountain, Capillano etc)

Sept 3 - Board Volendam

Sept 4 - Inside Passage

Sept 5 - Tracy Arm (service call) - doing ship tour into Tracy Arm

Sept 5 - Juneau: Mendallhall Glacier when we get back from Tracy Arm, would like to try and do a helicopter flight but unsure timing and who to go with

Sept 6 - Skagway: Mushers Camp and Dog Sled tour

Sept 7 - Glacier Bay

Sept 8 - Ketchikan: Possibly Bering Sea Crab Fishermans Tour

Sept 9 - Inside Passage

Sept 10 - Vancouver

Sept 10 - Sept 12 Vancouver (whatever we didn't see in the first few days)

Sept 12-Sept 22 Vancouver to Hawaii on Radiance of the Seas

Sept 22 -Oct 11 - Hawaii to Sydney Australia via French Polynesia and New Zealand on Radiance of the Seas

Kirrarne

Whoa! Dream trip right there, and I live in Hawaii! LOL

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

Planning this Alaskan cruise has been a great diversion during this long, cold Minnesotan winter! Lord willing, here are our plans:

May 27 - Drive 3 hours to Minneapolis and spend night with son & DIL.

May 28 - Fly to Seattle. Spend night at airport hotel.

May 29 - Flat-rate taxi to downtown Seattle. Take Amtrak Cascades morning train to Vancouver. HOHO Trolley in Vancouver?

May 30 - Spend day seeing sights in Vancouver...Granville Island, bike to Stanley Park, etc.

May 31 - Board Coral Princess

June 1 - Sea day

June 2 - Ketchikan. Misty Fjords flightseeing with Family Air.

June 3 - Juneau. Whale watching with Harv & Marv in a.m. Mendenhall Glacier & hike to Nugget Falls. Sightseeing around Juneau (sharing rental car with friends.)

June 4 - Skagway. Rental car to Emerald Lake, Carcrosse, etc.

June 5 - Glacier Bay

June 6 - College Fjords

June 7 - Transfer from Whittier to Anchorage. Pick up rental car and drive to Seward stopping at Wildlife Conservation Center, Turnagain Arm, Alyeska Tram, Crow Creek Mine, Portage Glacier, etc. Spending 2 nights at Sunshine House B & B.

June 8 - Kenai Fjords National Park tour with salmon/prime rib dinner at Fox Island. Sealife Center?

June 9 - Exit Glacier. Drive back to Anchorage seeing any sights we missed previously. Possibly connect with friends who live in Anchorage? Late night flight back to Minneapolis.

May 28 - Fly to Seattle. Spend night at airport hotel.

May 29 - Flat-rate taxi to downtown Seattle. Take Amtrak Cascades morning train to Vancouver. HOHO Trolley in Vancouver?

In my experience the only fixed rate cab is from the airport, it's on the meter from hotels. IF you are going back to the airport, you might as well take the Light Rail to Amtrak, if you pack light with only one rolling bag and can walk a couple blocks.

In my experience the only fixed rate cab is from the airport, it's on the meter from hotels. IF you are going back to the airport, you might as well take the Light Rail to Amtrak, if you pack light with only one rolling bag and can walk a couple blocks.

Thanks for the input. This is our first trip to Alaska so I appreciate any advice!

The company I'm considering bases their rates on zip codes. From our hotel to the train station will be $33. We will book them ahead and they will pick us up right at the hotel.

Also since the train leaves so early at morning I didn't want to mess with all of the extra traveling & walking (and possibly poor weather) involved in taking the Light Rail. We aren't the kind of people that travel light! :eek:

Edited by AryMay

I am in my early 30s and live in rural Alaska, so my ideas of what to do in Alaska are a little different. My retired parents are coming for a visit. After much hemming and hawwing, this is the itinerary that I put together that inspired them to start booking tickets:

Day 1 parents fly from Pittsburgh to Fairbanks, overnight at the Bridgewater

Day 2 fly on RavnAlaska from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay to Nuiqsut to Barrow where they will join me at home

Day 3 Barrow

Day 4 fly on RavnAlaska to Wainwright (daytrip)

Day 5-6-7 Barrow

Day 8 fly on RavnAlaska from Barrow to Nuiqsut to Prudhoe Bay to Fairbanks to Anchorage to Kodiak

Day 9 Kodiak (Alutiiq Museum, Baranof Museum, National Park visitor center, local aquaculture center)

Day 10 Kodiak (scenic driving, WWII site)

Day 11 fly on RavnAlaska from Kodiak to Anchorage, shuttle bus to Whittier

Day 12 Whittier (yes, two nights in Whittier...I love Whittier and am fascinated by the Begich Towers. When I lived closer to Whittier we always camped, so this will be my first time staying in the tower.)

Day 13 Embark on Norwegian Sun

Day 14 at sea

Day 15 Icy Strait Point (walk around the dock and then walk into the village of Hoonah)

Day 16 Juneau (rent a car to wander around town as we only have about 5 hours in port)

Day 17 Skagway (either train ride or rent a car and go into the Yukon)

Day 18 Ketchikan (boat trip to Metlakatla)

Day 19 at sea

Day 20 disembarkation in Vancouver, explore the city

Day 21 Vancouver

Day 22 ferry to Victoria

Day 23 Victoria (afternoon tea)

Day 24 I fly home on AlaskaAirlines Victoria to Seattle to Anchorage to Barrow (with enough time to get out in Anchorage and have a friend pick me up and take me grocery shopping)

Day ??? at some point my parents will return home

Here's my "in the works but hopefully mostly booked" itinerary:

Day 1: Fly to Vancouver from Detroit. Arrive at 3pm. Stanley Park and dinner

Day 2: Gastown, breakfast. Get on the boat

Day 3: At sea

Day 4: Ketchikan - Seaplane ride, Creek St., hopefully a totem pole park if

there is time (port time is 6:30-2)

Day 5: Juneau - Harv & Marv whale watching, Mendenhall Glacier, Helicopter

Day 6: Skagway - Renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake

Day 7: Scenic Cruising - Glacier Bay National Park

Day 8: Scenic Cruising - College Fjord

Day 9: Disembark - shuttle to Wildlife Conservation Center, then to airport to

rent car and spend the day in Anchorage. headed home at

11:50p

Day 10: Home!

We are on the HAL Westerdam in June. After planning this trip for over a year, I can't believe it's now about 2/12 months away! Here's our itinerary:

6/13 Fly Cincinnati to Seattle. Spend the day exploring Seattle; spending night the Fairmont

6/14 Board the ship!

6/15 - Sea Day - relaxing and exploring the ship

6/16 - Juneau - whale watching with Harv & Marv's; being dropped at the Mendenhall Glacier & walking the Nugget Falls trail; taxi to town to eat & stroll

6/17 - Glacier Bay - plan to be bundled up on deck before the ship enters!

6/18 - Sitka - Fortress of the Bear; Alaska Raptor Center, Sitka National Historic Park, Russian Bishop's House, St. Michael's, Castle Hill (mostly on foot but cab to Fortress of the Bear and back)

6/19 - Ketchikan - this is our least planned port so far - contemplating the Totem Heritage Center & Funicular/Married Man's Trail or maybe the Rain Forest Sanctuary, possibly the Lumberjack show. Definitely doing last-stop-souvenir shopping on Creek Street!

6/20 - Victoria - possibly a stroll to find a good pub with some fish & chips

6/21 - Seattle - we have a red-eye that night and have a great day itinerary planned - Pike Place, waterfront stroll, water taxi from Pier 50 to Alki Beach for lunch at Marination, Pioneer Square, Seattle Underground, Space Needle and dinner before the light rail to the airport!

Absolutely can't wait...

I love reading all of these itineraries and I am sure it will be of help to people planning their first cruise to Alaska. This is our first visit and I read guide books and used Cruise Critic and Trip Adviser to research and get ideas on tours and things to do. We love scenery and wildlife, so hoping to see all of those animals we have not seen before such as Moose, Bears, Sea Otters, Puffins etc. I would even love to see a Racoon! We are doing a B2B on Celebrity Millennium on 25 July Seward to Vancouver and 1 August Vancouver to Seward.

July 15 - Depart Canberra, Australia at 4.05pm and fly to Sydney, then on to Honolulu then to Anchorage, arriving the next day.

July 16 - Arrive Anchorage at 5am. Taxi to Susitna Place B&B for a quick shower and nap, then meet up with our friends from Minnesota who are doing the land part of our Alaska adventure with us. Rest of the day in Anchorage sightseeing, with lunch and dinner at one of the brew pub restaurants for my husband who has a brewery of his own in Australia.

July 17 - Pick up our hire car and drive to Healy, where we are staying at Alaska Spruce Cabins. On the way we will explore and stop as we wish to take photos and have lunch etc. Dinner that night at 49th State Brewing Company.

July 18 - Full day in Denali National Park, booked 5.15am shuttle tickets for as far as Wonder Lake. Dinner back at 49th State if it was good - does anyone have any other recommendations?

July 19 - Drive back to Talkeetna and do the Grand Denali Tour with Glacier Landing offered by Talkeetna Air. Fingers crossed the weather will be clear, as this is the one chance this trip for this flight. Hopefully have a wonderful flight and then have a look at Denali Brewing Company before we continue back to Anchorage and stay at Susitna Place B&B.

July 20 - Day in Anchorage. Lots of ideas, will probably hire bikes and ride some of the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. Of course another brew pub for lunch and also for dinner - Midnight Sun, Sleeping lady, Glacier Brewhouse, Broken Tooth Brewing/Moose's Tooth/Bear Tooth - need to decide which to go to, as can't do them all! I don't drink beer but my Husband loves trying different kinds, and I love him, so I have done lots of research into the breweries in Alaska. Overnight at Susitna Place B&B.

July 21 - Drop off hire car and meet up with Salmon Berry Tours who we have booked to take the 4 of us on a full day trip to Whittier, stopping at lots of places along the way. As it is just us, we can stop if we see something interesting, although we do have an itinerary already planned with them. Through the tunnel late that afternoon, and get dropped off at The Inn at Whittier. We could have driven this ourselves, but we want to relax, catch up, talk and laugh and not be distracted by having to drive or think about where we are.

July 22 - Full day tour with Lazy Otter Tours, just the four of us, the skipper and Prince William Sound. Can't wait to see the glaciers and Sea Otters!!! Overnight at the Inn at Whittier. Sea Otters are so adorable, I hope I see lots of them, and some babies as well!

July 23 - Picked up by Salmon Berry Tours again for the trip to Seward. We stop to see a Husky Outfit and go for a hike to Exit Glacier along the way. Arrive in Seward around 2pm and check into A Sunshine House B&B. Dinner at Seward Brewing Company. Afternoon walking around exploring the town.

July 24 - Full day out on Kenai Fjords National park with Alaska Saltwater Lodge.

July 25 - Cruise Day! Late breakfast and walk around town, then visit the Alaska Sealife Centre in time for the 11am Puffin Encounter and the 1pm Octopus Encounter which we have booked. Late lunch together, then say sad goodbyes to our wonderful friends who head back to Anchorage on the train at 6pm. Board Celebrity Millennium late, so no lines. Get ready for sail away and dinner!

July 26 - Hubbard Glacier!

July 27 - Juneau 9am to 9pm - we have booked with Harv and Marv for their first whale watching tour of the day at 9.20am. Get dropped off after the tour to Mendenhall Glacier to explore the area. Then back into town to explore and walk around, visit Red Dog Saloon, the Alaskan Fudge Factory and the Alaskan Brewery and tasting Rooms.

July 28 - Skagway 7am to 8.30pm - have booked with Chilkoot Charters Yukon Bus and Rail trip 7.30am to 3pm - Train up and Bus back. Afterwards, walk around town. Would like to visit the Alaska Christmas Store on Broadway between 4th and 5th if it is still there?

July 29 - Icy Strait Point 7am to 4pm - Booked with Misty Bay Lodge to do their whale watch and Bear Search combo tour.

July 30 - Ketchikan 9am to 6pm - we have booked with Island Wings to do the Anan Creek Bear Tour. Can not wait for this tour, it was the first one I booked and I built the rest of this holiday around this day!

July 31 - Cruising the Inside Passage.

Aug 1 - Vancouver - 7am to 4.30pm - the and end of the first cruise, and beginning of the second! We will probably do the HOHO bus and see whatever we can see in the short time before we have to board again.

Aug 2 - Inside Passage

Aug 3 - Ketchikan 7am to 3pm - I hate cold water, but love to snorkel, so we are snorkelling with Snorkel Alaska. You can only book this through the cruise ship, so have booked that way, it is called the Mountain Point Snorkelling Adventure. After warming up again, will spend the rest of the time walking around the town.

Aug 4 - Icy Strait Point 10am to 8pm - no excursion booked, have a lazy day and explore the area.

Aug 5 - Juneau 7am to 8.30pm - another tour I am very excited about - going to Pack Creek by Float Plane to see the bears with Pack Creek Bear Tours.

Aug 6 - Skagway 7am to 4pm - taking the ferry to Haines to do the Chilkoot Lake Nature and Bear Viewing Tour with Rainbow Glacier Adventures.

Aug 7 - Cruising Hubbard Glacier.

Aug 8 - Booked the early train from Seward to Anchorage to catch our 2.10pm flight from Anchorage to Honolulu. Spend the night in Honolulu then take the 11.50am flight to Sydney and then on to Canberra, arriving late at night on August 10th.

We are really looking forward to this trip, and I think it has come together really well, thanks to all of the information that is out there. I hope it helps someone else with their planning!

Yvette

Aug 8 - Booked the early train from Seward to Anchorage to catch our 2.10pm flight from Anchorage to Honolulu. Spend the night in Honolulu then take the 11.50am flight to Sydney and then on to Canberra, arriving late at night on August 10th.

We are really looking forward to this trip, and I think it has come together really well, thanks to all of the information that is out there. I hope it helps someone else with their planning!

Yvette

I didn't know there was an early train from Seward to Anchorage. May I ask who you booked the train with?

I was one of those individuals who relied heavily on the comments and advice from CC members.

Here is what we finally booked:

Cruise Portion:

Ketchikan - Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour

Juneau - Taku Lodge Feast & 5-Glacier Seaplane Discovery

(if any time or energy left Mt. Roberts Tramway)

Skagway - Red Onion Saloon Breakfast Tour & White Pass & Yukon Railroad

Land Portion:

Whitter / Talkeetna (Arrival Day) Evening Three Rivers Tour

Talkeetna (Full Day) - TAT Grand Denali Flightseeing w/ Glacier Landing

Talkeetna / Denali (Arrival Day) Evening Denali Jeep Backcountry Safari

Denali - (Full Day) Kantishna Experience

Denali / Fairbanks (Arrival Day) Alaskan Salmon Bake & Palace Theater Show

Fairbanks (Full Day) AM Gold Dredge 8 & Afternoon Riverboat Cruise

Fairbanks (Departure Day) Transfer to FAI

We know this is extensive but we also know we are unlikely to every be able to return.

Is it better to book the White Pass & Yukon RR through the cruise or can you walk off the cruise ship and easily buy a RR ticket without a reservation?

:DHello everyone,

This is a trip of a lifetime for us and we are so excited.

We fly on 10th May from UK to Iceland and then Iceland to Seattle. We have a couple of days there and we are going to see the Seattle Space Needle and Chihuly Gardens Glass museum. Plus a walk around the city itself and Pike Market.

We then catch the scenic Amtrak train to Vancouver. Where we have 5 days. We are doing a HoHo bus plus Stanley Park and then a Capilano Suspension Bridge and Cliff Walk tour.

Then its onto RCCL Inside Passage cruise to Seward onboard the Radiance of the Seas.

Our stops are Skagway, where we have booked the Yukon train. Ketchican where we are going to do our own walking tour. Icy Strait, Juneau and the Hubbard Glacier, where we have nothing booked.

Then after we disembark at Seward my Cousin is picking us up and we are going to stay with them for two weeks in Palmer Alaska and they have things planned for us.

A months holiday in total and I can't wait! :D

Is it better to book the White Pass & Yukon RR through the cruise or can you walk off the cruise ship and easily buy a RR ticket without a reservation?

Prices are usually about $10 different. You board right at the cruise ship tours. For self booked White Pass RR, you board at the depot, 10-15 minute walk. Tickets are most always available for same day travel, but you are best to purchase the tickets first thing in the morning.

Wed 7-May - Fly into Vancouver in the late morning, check into Fairmont Pacific Rim, late lunch at Cactus Club, have hotel take us to and picks us up from Stanley Park or just walk the seawall a little if we're tired, late dinner at Rogue Kitchen and Wetbar.

Thu 8-May - Board NCL Pearl (sure hope the port schedule changes to move it to Canada Place instead of Ballantyne, we'll see)

Fri 9-May - Cruising Inside Passage

Sat 10-May - Ketchikan - Doing the self-guided walking tour, lunch at Annabelle's

Sun 11-May - Juneau - Taku Lodge Flight and Salmon Feast for lunch (booked direct to save $$), then visiting Tracy's Crab Shack for a late afternoon snack

Mon 12-May - Chilkoot Charters Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion (train first), walking around town if we're up to it

Tues 13-May - Cruise Glacier Bay, drink alcoholic hot drinks on my balcony :)

Wed 14-May - Icy Straight Point - Whale Watching with Glacier Wind Charters, then lunch at one of the ISP restaurants and some walking around that area

Thurs 15-May - Sitka - Raptor Center in the morning, quick snack at Highliner Coffee Cafe, then Wildlife excursion by boat via Sitka Sound Tours

Fri 16-May - At Sea

Sat 17-May - Victoria BC - We actually get here at noon...walking to the Inner Harbor area, Royal BC museum or a ghostly walking tour in the evening if we feel up for it.

Sun 18-May - Seattle - Self-disembark with all luggage, getting picked up by Already There Towncar Service to catch an 11:50 AM flight at SEATAC.

Wed 7-May - Fly into Vancouver in the late morning, check into Fairmont Pacific Rim, late lunch at Cactus Club, have hotel take us to and picks us up from Stanley Park or just walk the seawall a little if we're tired, late dinner at Rogue Kitchen and Wetbar.

Thu 8-May - Board NCL Pearl (sure hope the port schedule changes to move it to Canada Place instead of Ballantyne, we'll see)

Fri 9-May - Cruising Inside Passage

Sat 10-May - Ketchikan - Doing the self-guided walking tour, lunch at Annabelle's

Sun 11-May - Juneau - Taku Lodge Flight and Salmon Feast for lunch (booked direct to save $$), then visiting Tracy's Crab Shack for a late afternoon snack

Mon 12-May - Chilkoot Charters Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion (train first), walking around town if we're up to it

Tues 13-May - Cruise Glacier Bay, drink alcoholic hot drinks on my balcony :)

Wed 14-May - Icy Straight Point - Whale Watching with Glacier Wind Charters, then lunch at one of the ISP restaurants and some walking around that area

Thurs 15-May - Sitka - Raptor Center in the morning, quick snack at Highliner Coffee Cafe, then Wildlife excursion by boat via Sitka Sound Tours

Fri 16-May - At Sea

Sat 17-May - Victoria BC - We actually get here at noon...walking to the Inner Harbor area, Royal BC museum or a ghostly walking tour in the evening if we feel up for it.

Sun 18-May - Seattle - Self-disembark with all luggage, getting picked up by Already There Towncar Service to catch an 11:50 AM flight at SEATAC.

This sounds like a very nice itinerary. I saw it on sale recently and thought it might work for us in a few years, if we have the chance to go back to Alaska.

Day 1 (Saturday, 6-7):

Fly into Seattle

Southwest # 786/1746 – (0750-1340)

Stay at Marriott Airport

Day 2 (Sunday, 6-8):

Tour Seattle day (Pike’s Market, Space Needle, etc.)

Day 3 (Monday, 6-9):

Fly into Anchorage

Alaska Air #83 – (0800-1030)

Rent car – Alamo

Stay at Courtyard by Marriott

Pick up cheap cooler, drinks, snacks

Meet friends for dinner at Sullivan’s Steakhouse

Day 4 (Tuesday, 6-10):

Drive to Palmer – stop at Eklunta enroute – appx 1 – 1½ hrs. – Knik Glacier – 4 hour tour at 1000 – snack on tour

Drive to Wasilla – appx 30 mins – see Iditarod Headquarters

Drive to Talkeetna – appx 1 ½ hrs.

Stay at Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge

Dinner – Talkeetna Road House or Latitude 62 Lodge?

Day 5 (Wednesday, 6-11):

Flight tour of McKinley – Talkeetna Air Grand Denali Tour – booked for 10:45 take off

Drive to Healy – appx 3 hrs.

Stay at Denali Touch of Wilderness

Dinner – 49th State Brewery & Restaurant, Black Diamond’s Grill or Rose’s Café?

Day 6 (Thursday, 6-12):

Denali tour – Eielson Visitor Center

Remember to take sack lunch/drinks

Stay as above

Dinner – Parks 229?

Day 7 (Friday, 6-13):

Morning at Park or backup plan for McKinley flight (Denali Helicopter – various times)

Drive to Seward – allow all day (8 hoursish)

Lunch at Arctic Roadrunner (Anchorage) enroute

Stay at A Sunshine House B&B

Eat at Ray’s Waterfront (make reservation)

Day 8 (Saturday, 6-14):

Tour Exit Glacier

Alaska Sea Life Center (before or after cruise depending on time) (Coupon)

Resurrection Bay cruise with Kenai Fjords (1200—1630 with lunch)

Drive to Girdwood – appx 1 ½ hrs.

Stay at Hidden Creek B&B

Day 9 (Sunday, 6-15):

Ride tram at Hotel Alyeska – walk trails for a while (Coupon)

Drive to Anchorage – no time frame – scenic drive – Mud flats, Potter Marsh, etc.

Visit Culture Center, Museum, and Wild Berry Park – anything missed on day 3

Turn in rental car

Stay at Courtyard by Marriott

Day 10 (Monday, 6-16):

Motel shuttle to train station

Alaska RR to Whittier (0945-1205)

Major Marine Prince William Sound Tour – (1215-1730) (Coupon)

Board Norwegian Sun for 2100 departure

Day 11 (Tuesday, 6-17): Cruise Hubbard Glacier

Day 12 (Wednesday, 6-18): Icy Strait Point - in port 0900-1700

Misty Bay Lodge Whale Watch

Day 13 (Thursday, 6-19): Juneau - in port 0700-1325

Mendenhall Glacier – Mt. Roberts tram (Coupon)

Day 14 (Friday, 6-20): Skagway - in port 0700-1700

Rent car for trip to Emerald Lake – Avis

Day 15 (Saturday, 6-21): Ketchikan - in port 1300-2000

Island Wings Misty Fjords flight-seeing trip (1400-1630)

Day 16 (Sunday, 6-22): Cruise Inside Passage

Day 17 (Monday, 6-23): Vancouver - arrive 0800

Do HOHO trolley tour of Vancouver

Take Amtrak Cascades to Seattle (17:45-22:10)

Stay at Marriott Airport

Day 18 (Tuesday, 6-24)

Fly to New Orleans

Southwest # 1945/1623 (0545-1345)

Edited by Scoop_MSU

Scoop, thanks for your detailed itinerary. We are from New Iberia, LA & have been planning a similar itinerary but had to postpone it till 2015. What cruise line are you using? We have sailed on the NCL Pearl to Alaska in 2012. If there are any other details you would like to share I would love to hear them to help me in my planning. Also would love to hear a review of your tour when you return.

Day 1 to Anchorage

Day 2 stock up on supplies, drive down to Seward, taking our time to sightsee in Turnagain Arm

Day 3 Kenai Fjords boat trip (all day)

Day 4 hike, wildlife center

Day 5 all-day kayak in Aialik Bay

Day 6 more Kenai sightseeing/hiking maybe another boat trip

Days 7-8 up to Healy (near Denali), one night along the way in Trapper Creek; hike in Denali State Park

Days 9-12 Denali NP, shuttles, hiking

Days 13-14 back to Anchorage late night flight home

Scoop, thanks for your detailed itinerary. We are from New Iberia, LA & have been planning a similar itinerary but had to postpone it till 2015. What cruise line are you using? We have sailed on the NCL Pearl to Alaska in 2012. If there are any other details you would like to share I would love to hear them to help me in my planning. Also would love to hear a review of your tour when you return.

It's in my signature - Norwegian Sun (also last line in day 10). Best advice is to read as much on this board that you can stand. There are some real Alaskan experts on here that are always willing to help. You can't do it all in a single trip (unless you have about 3 months free-lol). We had done an inside passage cruise back in 2006 so already had ideas about the cruise part of the trip. Most everything else came from suggestions/recommendations from posts in this forum. Just decide what you "can't miss" and you can find out something about it on here. Don't be afraid to book anything you know you will be doing/need early (cars, tours, rooms, etc.) but that is a personal preference. Some folks do it all in the last 90 days before they leave. Happy planning (I started when booked cruise in Dec 2012!).

Edited by Scoop_MSU

First time in Alaska and first cruise - NCL Pearl. Thankful for all the comments and suggestions on here to help plan this dream trip!

Fri. 5/30 - Fly in to Seattle. Taking rental car to Port Angeles, Lake Crescent, Forks and LaPush for sightseeing and taking the wife on the Twilight tour; returning to Seattle Sun. 6/1.

6/1 - Cruise leaves Seattle.

6/2 - At Sea

6/3 - Juneau - Taku Lodge Feast & 5 Glacier Seaplane Discovery ($297) - and then hopefully we can then make it to Mendenhall glacier

6/4 - Skagway - Chilkoot Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion ($179)

6/5 - Glacier Bay cruise day

6/6 - Ketchikan - Bears of the Misty Fjords w/ Alaska Seaplane tours ($289)

6/7 - Victoria - :confused: undecided ??? (considering the evening whale watch since we didn't fit that in anywhere else - possibly just walk around town? Even after reading all the rave reviews, I just can't talk myself into the Butchart garden tour) Any suggestions appreciated.

6/8 - back at Seattle, spending the day at Pike Market & Space Needle

6/9 - headed home

Hi everyone,

This is also our first cruise and trip to Alaska. We're celebrating our 30th Anniversary.

7/24 We fly from OKC to ANC and arrive at 10:30 PM (1:30 AM OKC time).

7/25 Undecided - sleep in and then explore Anchorage? Rent a car? Take a tour from Anchorage?

7/26 Train to Whittier to board Crown Princess. Tour in Whittier prior to boarding?

7/27 - 8/2 Cruise to Vancouver.

8/2 2:30 PM flight home.

We just booked the cruise last week and the air over the weekend. I have no excursions booked yet. Still reading up on what there is to offer. So far I'm leaning toward the White Pass RR for Skagway and the Mendenhall Glacier for Juneau. Not sure about Ketchikan. So much research, so little time!

Love this site!

Heidi (& Mike)

Hi everyone,

This is also our first cruise and trip to Alaska. We're celebrating our 30th Anniversary.

7/24 We fly from OKC to ANC and arrive at 10:30 PM (1:30 AM OKC time).

7/25 Undecided - sleep in and then explore Anchorage? Rent a car? Take a tour from Anchorage?

7/26 Train to Whittier to board Crown Princess. Tour in Whittier prior to boarding?

7/27 - 8/2 Cruise to Vancouver.

8/2 2:30 PM flight home.

We just booked the cruise last week and the air over the weekend. I have no excursions booked yet. Still reading up on what there is to offer. So far I'm leaning toward the White Pass RR for Skagway and the Mendenhall Glacier for Juneau. Not sure about Ketchikan. So much research, so little time!

Love this site!

Heidi (& Mike)

http://www.anchorage.net

There is nothing to "tour" in Whittier. My top recommendation is to take a Prince William Sound boat tour. Fits nicely in between the train transportation and ship departure. The views are grossly superior to any cruise ship viewing. An excellent use of time depending on interests.