Reveal Your 2014 Alaska Itinerary Plans

Italy52

Thanks Budget Queen!

I should have said take a tour that departs from Whittier. Actually, I think I had seen your recommendation on the boat tour of Prince William Sound on a different thread, and that is what I was referring to. Is there a particular company that you would recommend?

Also, do you have any recommendation for our one day in Anchorage? I would like to have something planned, but perhaps not too much since we'll be pooped from working all day and then traveling the evening before.

Thanks again!

Heidi

Thanks Budget Queen!

I should have said take a tour that departs from Whittier. Actually, I think I had seen your recommendation on the boat tour of Prince William Sound on a different thread, and that is what I was referring to. Is there a particular company that you would recommend?

Also, do you have any recommendation for our one day in Anchorage? I would like to have something planned, but perhaps not too much since we'll be pooped from working all day and then traveling the evening before.

Thanks again!

Heidi

I usually go with Major Marine due to coupons, but have gone with Phillips. Phillips is the ship contractor, so they usually are pretty full. They do do different routes, read the descriptions and determine your preferences.

As for Anchorage, http://www.anchorage.net for ideas. The city is loaded with possibilities.

Hi everyone,

This is also our first cruise and trip to Alaska. We're celebrating our 30th Anniversary.

7/24 We fly from OKC to ANC and arrive at 10:30 PM (1:30 AM OKC time).

7/25 Undecided - sleep in and then explore Anchorage? Rent a car? Take a tour from Anchorage?

7/26 Train to Whittier to board Crown Princess. Tour in Whittier prior to boarding?

7/27 - 8/2 Cruise to Vancouver.

8/2 2:30 PM flight home.

We just booked the cruise last week and the air over the weekend. I have no excursions booked yet. Still reading up on what there is to offer. So far I'm leaning toward the White Pass RR for Skagway and the Mendenhall Glacier for Juneau. Not sure about Ketchikan. So much research, so little time!

Love this site!

Heidi (& Mike)

BOOMER! And congrats on your 30th! Hope you all have a wonderful time! :D

SOONER! And thank you.

Okay, so I have booked the Historic Anchorage Hotel for our 2 nights in Anchorage. Looking like we'll rent a car for the day. There's an Avis location a block & a half from the Hotel. Probably visit a few suggested places just outside of town. Perhaps Girdwood for the tram, or the Iditarod Center up in Wasilla. Or drive the Turnagain Arm.

Turn in car and train to Whittier. Take PWS cruise. Board cruise.

Now for the cruise excursions. It's funny because in the past I hesitated on a cruise as it seemed all the decisions were made for you, and I like to do the trip research part almost as much as the trip part. But there seems to be an endless amount to research for this trip, especially for a first timer.

Thanks for your input!

Heidi

SOONER! And thank you.

Okay, so I have booked the Historic Anchorage Hotel for our 2 nights in Anchorage. Looking like we'll rent a car for the day. There's an Avis location a block & a half from the Hotel. Probably visit a few suggested places just outside of town. Perhaps Girdwood for the tram, or the Iditarod Center up in Wasilla. Or drive the Turnagain Arm.

Now for the cruise excursions. It's funny because in the past I hesitated on a cruise as it seemed all the decisions were made for you, and I like to do the trip research part almost as much as the trip part. But there seems to be an endless amount to research for this trip, especially for a first timer.

Thanks for your input!

Heidi

Hope you get to see the Beluga's as you drive the Turnigan on your way to Girdwood and back.

SOONER! And thank you.

i

Whats an Eagles fan doing in Oklahoma? I went to school in Philly and watched the Eagles practice almost every day (we used the field after they were done).

DaveOKC

Wed 7-May - Fly into Vancouver in the late morning, check into Fairmont Pacific Rim, late lunch at Cactus Club, have hotel take us to and picks us up from Stanley Park or just walk the seawall a little if we're tired, late dinner at Rogue Kitchen and Wetbar.

Thu 8-May - Board NCL Pearl (sure hope the port schedule changes to move it to Canada Place instead of Ballantyne, we'll see)

Fri 9-May - Cruising Inside Passage

Sat 10-May - Ketchikan - Doing the self-guided walking tour, lunch at Annabelle's

Sun 11-May - Juneau - Taku Lodge Flight and Salmon Feast for lunch (booked direct to save $$), then visiting Tracy's Crab Shack for a late afternoon snack

Mon 12-May - Chilkoot Charters Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion (train first), walking around town if we're up to it

Tues 13-May - Cruise Glacier Bay, drink alcoholic hot drinks on my balcony :)

Wed 14-May - Icy Straight Point - Whale Watching with Glacier Wind Charters, then lunch at one of the ISP restaurants and some walking around that area

Thurs 15-May - Sitka - Raptor Center in the morning, quick snack at Highliner Coffee Cafe, then Wildlife excursion by boat via Sitka Sound Tours

Fri 16-May - At Sea

Sat 17-May - Victoria BC - We actually get here at noon...walking to the Inner Harbor area, Royal BC museum or a ghostly walking tour in the evening if we feel up for it.

Sun 18-May - Seattle - Self-disembark with all luggage, getting picked up by Already There Towncar Service to catch an 11:50 AM flight at SEATAC.

*wave* I'm on the Pearl too! We booked the Chilkoot Charters Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion for Skagway as well but picked bus first. I read a bunch of reviews that recommended doing the bus first but seeing the ship sponsored equivalent of this tour leaves at the same time and does the train back I'm nervous about crowds. There are 2 other ships in port at the same time so not sure when their pax are taking the train.

In Ketchikan we booked Orcas Cove sea kayaking with Southeast Sea Kayaks. We don't have anything planned for the other ports yet.

*wave* I'm on the Pearl too! We booked the Chilkoot Charters Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion for Skagway as well but picked bus first. I read a bunch of reviews that recommended doing the bus first but seeing the ship sponsored equivalent of this tour leaves at the same time and does the train back I'm nervous about crowds. There are 2 other ships in port at the same time so not sure when their pax are taking the train.

There's only one train. Ship and private passengers all ride at the same time, though usually in different cars. Chilkoot typically has their own car.

There's only one train. Ship and private passengers all ride at the same time, though usually in different cars. Chilkoot typically has their own car.

Yes I know that but there are two options for the tour. The first is to leave at 7:30am and take the train to Fraser first and then bus the rest of the way to Carcross and then back to Skagway. The second option is to leave at 8:30am by bus and go all the way to Carcross, then bus back to Fraser to get on the train to return to Skagway by train in the afternoon.

Yes I know that but there are two options for the tour. The first is to leave at 7:30am and take the train to Fraser first and then bus the rest of the way to Carcross and then back to Skagway. The second option is to leave at 8:30am by bus and go all the way to Carcross, then bus back to Fraser to get on the train to return to Skagway by train in the afternoon.

There are typically both private and ship tours doing the same things at the same times. They all work their schedules around the train. There will be both ship and private tours on the train at all times, and none likely to be any more or less crowded than others. Since Chilkoot has their own train car, you won't really be affected by ship tour passengers on the train. Chilkoot also tries to avoid making stops at the usual view points at the same time as the big buses in order to avoid crowds.

There are typically both private and ship tours doing the same things at the same times. They all work their schedules around the train. There will be both ship and private tours on the train at all times, and none likely to be any more or less crowded than others. Since Chilkoot has their own train car, you won't really be affected by ship tour passengers on the train. Chilkoot also tries to avoid making stops at the usual view points at the same time as the big buses in order to avoid crowds.

Hi Kesstral! :) The lady from Chilkoot Charters that I corresponded with told me the same thing that sherryf said above when I asked them for advice on which was better, bus first or train first. Traffic's the same, crowds the same. It was her observation that the weather/fog chances are 50/50 too, in the end. So, I went with the only supposed "con" that I could find and agree with - a few people taking the bus first indicated that there was not as much time to make any extra stops (over and above what is already scheduled) due to the fact that you need to get to Fraser on time to catch the train. Even then, this was by no means a consistent gripe (hardy anybody) but if it made the difference between bonus stops for wildlife or not on our trip, I'd rather not be under a time crunch. Plus, I wanted a little bit more time to explore Skagway as an option.

Edited by Kirasha

Whats an Eagles fan doing in Oklahoma? I went to school in Philly and watched the Eagles practice almost every day (we used the field after they were done).

DaveOKC

HA! I grew up north of Philly, went to undergrad at West Chester when the Eagles used to train there in the summers. Came to OKC to continue my education and settled down. We went to Dallas in Dec. to see them play.

Seems like there are quite a few cruisers here in Oklahoma!

Heidi

HA! I grew up north of Philly, went to undergrad at West Chester when the Eagles used to train there in the summers. Came to OKC to continue my education and settled down. We went to Dallas in Dec. to see them play.

Seems like there are quite a few cruisers here in Oklahoma!

Heidi

Small world. I think we had a practice football game with your school one year. Our team was in the light-weight league (under 155 lb - wish I was even close to that now!) so we were a bit out maned! Still was fun.

Dave