SilverSeas vs other cruise lines

MaryL

My husband and I are looking for a luxury cruise. I would really appreciate it if anyone can give me their honest opinion on SilverSeas cruising vs Seabourn Cruises. Also if you could recommend other cruise lines.

Thank you

Duct Tape is right on; you'll find very useful information to help in your decision making process. I've cruised both lines and like them both. Personally, I enjoy the international crew at Seabourn, the Silversea Cloud as vessel, the food and wines at Seabourn and the passenger mix and ambiance at Silversea. When you try them both, then you will have your own reasons to cruise with them both!

They have similarities and differences.

My advice is to get with a travel agent who specializes in the luxury cruise line product and has sailed these lines and can share with you their experiences, read reviews posted on the member review section of cruise critic to see what the majority of people highlight, visit their respective web sites and read the write ups on each line and each ship in the annual cruise book written by Douglas Ward and published by Berlitz.

Keith

Seabourn and Silversea are more alike than they are different. When you read the threads it tends to come down to things like the type of coffee, food and other aspects which are really just personal taste.

I think, regardless of which line to choose, you'd have to be super-critical not to enjoy either.

MaryL,

We were making the same decision you are facing now. Having sailed multi times on SeaDream and once on Regent Navigator we were deciding between SS and SB. As DH is a professor, timing is limited and it became itinerary driven. We are looking forward to sailing on the Cloud and SS for the first time as we return to Alaska this summer.

FT

I think it's all a matter of personal taste, and for me it is Silversea every time. SS is slightly more formal and restrained and I think there is a slight tendency for Europeans to favour SS and Americans to prefer SB. My own preference is for SS food over SB and the (complimentary) wines are definitely superior on SS. The standard of accommodation and housekeeping is almost identical on both - virtually faultless. The after-dinner entertainment (in the show lounge) is also comparable on both - dire!!!

Seabourn waiters bring drinks and even parfaits sometimes out on the deck to passengers. Does Silversea offer the same kind of good service ? I was in the hot tub( on Seabourn Legend and a waiter brought me a parfait...just did it on his own . :)

My husband and I are looking for a luxury cruise. I would really appreciate it if anyone can give me their honest opinion on SilverSeas cruising vs Seabourn Cruises. Also if you could recommend other cruise lines. Thank you

The earlier posters have given some very good insights. Where are you planning to cruise? Those locations can be an important factor to consider, too! This includes regarding your priorities and needs for doing a port-intensive cruise versus one with a larger number of sea days where the ship experience might be of a higher value/need. Tell us more!

Our past cruising?: We have done five cruises. Late June 2006 on 204-passenger Seabourn Spirit, Athens to Istanbul, enjoying the Greek Isles over seven days. Late July 2008 on the 940-passenger Crystal Symphony, Dover to Stockholm, enjoying the Baltics and Russia. July 1-16, 2010, was an adventure on the 296-passenger Silver Cloud from Copenhagen seeing the dramatic Norway coast, above the Arctic Circle, Land of the Midnight Sun, etc. Then, June, 2011 from Barcelona for Italy, the Croatian Coast on this same 2850-passenger Celebrity Solstice. Most recent was completed just last month, Celebrity Solstice, 14-days, Sydney/Australia to Auckland/New Zealand with six other Central Ohio couples in our group.

All four ships/lines are different and excellent with very good to great service, fellow passengers, staff, etc. What’s best? The honest answer is . . . “It depends!!!”. Ports, schedules, timing and prices vary much, especially right now with this economy, high airlines costs, challenged dollar values, etc. You need to seek what best fits your exact personal needs, budget and interests. We enjoyed sampling a larger ship and we booked early for this early 2014 Australia-NZ trip to get the locations/rooms we desired.

Below you can see full details on our Silversea Silver Cloud adventure with DuctTape and other fine folks along on this great trip. To be honest, the "chemistry" between the crew and passengers can vary AND make a big difference, plus luck with the weather, etc. Many factors are involved between a very good cruise versus being super excellent as we had on the Silver Cloud for July 2010.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 137,247 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 2 weeks later...

If everything else is the same, I will choose SB every time. I prefer the food on SB and have found the general service better - for us, the butler service is clunky and inefficient.

That said, everything is typically never the same and I would not hesitate to book SS

if I preferred the itinerary and/or could get a better cabin. As many have said above, these

lines are more similar than they are different.

My husband and I are looking for a luxury cruise. I would really appreciate it if anyone can give me their honest opinion on SilverSeas cruising vs Seabourn Cruises. Also if you could recommend other cruise lines.

Thank you

The only logical way to decide is to try them both :) We can't afford to cruise luxury lines exclusively but my goal is to try them all and decide which one I like best. We are booked on our first Silversea but LOVED Crystal.

When deciding, itinerary is a critical factor for us.

Edited by galavant3

• 1 month later...

We feel Seabourn is a different class than Silversea.

The food on Seabourn is Far Superior to Silversea. We found some of the food on our Silversea cruise last year unedible! All the food on Seabourn was FABULOUS!

The service and staff is more polished and professional on Seabourn.

After Sailing Seabourn- would never sail Silversea again.

Seabourn delivers the most luxurious cruise line experience at sea.

We feel Seabourn is a different class than Silversea.

The food on Seabourn is Far Superior to Silversea. We found some of the food on our Silversea cruise last year unedible! All the food on Seabourn was FABULOUS!

The service and staff is more polished and professional on Seabourn.

After Sailing Seabourn- would never sail Silversea again.

Seabourn delivers the most luxurious cruise line experience at sea.

Do you think that the lack of Philippine waiting staff is a key thing that makes Seabourn far better than Silversea in the dining room

Edited by Mr Luxury

We went through the same exercise… Turns out with the ships sailing now on Seabourn, they are very similar. Silversea has only three ships that compare in size. Two are a little smaller and one is a little bigger in guest capacity. So if you’re comfortable with that size of ship, you could flip a coin and go after port calls and be happy with either ship lines. I would be a fool to say they are exactly the same but differences there are. Going on and on about the dozens of small items would only look petty. Shure there may be some disappointments but that goes on with both lines depending on the day or employee you run into. Both lines a more similar than different. And only after sailing on both will you feel if any of the nuances bother you for future sailing…