Photos of Carnival's "extra" generators

chengkp75

There are plans for new generators. But they will have to cut holes in the hull to put them in. Those units in the photos would do nothing more than power the bridge electronics.

Yes there are plans for permanent generators installed inside the ship (though I believe they will be topside, not in the hull). The bridge electronics are already powered by the existing emergency generator, and further by back-up batteries, as required by IMO. These gen sets are roughly 1.5-2Mw generators, and would be capable of powering the ship's refrigeration system, potable water, vacuum toilets, elevators, and limited ventilation and galley power, as Carnival has stated as their plan. What is actually powered would be determined by how much Carnival has routed new cabling, or new interlocks, inside the ship to allow this generator to function in a standby mode.

The new, permanent generators will only be marginally larger than these units currently on deck.

This was from our Carnival Valor cruise on February 9, just behind the funnel up on the mini-golf deck. Looks like 12 cables coming out of the container heading into the deck. If I had to estimate, I would guess the cable size is right around 1000MCM.

DSCN0056.jpga>DSCN0056.jpg

Chuck

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. 12 cables would be about right, 4 cables per phase, each phase carrying about 2000-2500 amps for a 2Mw generator. While electrically, it looks like a good installation, and the container itself is restrained in container feet, I'm still surprised that class has allowed the use of ratchet straps to hold this down, instead of rigid rod lashing.

Now all I need to do is get someone from Carnival to tell me what they've powered, and how they've interconnected, and I'll be a happy camper.

Good close up pic of the Legend generator contained in this members review, see page 1, post # 8. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2012673

Thanks;

The blue tarped box is the cables coming from the gen set down through the deck. I bet it really hurt the corporate types to have to cut into the teak to weld in the foundation and the deck penetration. Oh, well, the teak deck vendor that sands and caulks the deck every drydock will appreciate the extra work when the generator is removed.

• 3 weeks later...

Those shipping containers do not actually have any generators installed. They have been put on all of the ships to provide emergency storage for all of the canned SPAM that they will feed you when they next lose power on a ship.:D

Thanks;

The blue tarped box is the cables coming from the gen set down through the deck. I bet it really hurt the corporate types to have to cut into the teak to weld in the foundation and the deck penetration. Oh, well, the teak deck vendor that sands and caulks the deck every drydock will appreciate the extra work when the generator is removed.

I am wondering if this is going to be the permanent generator for the Legend. The Legend just came out of it's major dry dock and these pictures were taken after the dry dock was completed.

I am wondering if this is going to be the permanent generator for the Legend. The Legend just came out of it's major dry dock and these pictures were taken after the dry dock was completed.

Carnival may be finding it a little more complicated than first thought to get the class approvals for a new permanent generator, and finding the space to carve out for a generator and switchboard, so the whole process may take longer than initially planned. They won't be allowed to keep these indefinitely.

No, I don't work for CAT, but I am a marine engineer, and have used these boxed temporary generators before onboard ships.

Then you would know they can pull the wires to hook them up out of a door nearby when needed, They do not need to be hard wired into the ship at all times.

Then you would know they can pull the wires to hook them up out of a door nearby when needed, They do not need to be hard wired into the ship at all times.

Well, I do know that they are not allowed to do that. Which is why you see the cabling in place on several of the pictures posted here. As I've said, you need a watertight penetration of the deck or bulkhead (not the container), and these would take several hours to remove the blocks and push the cables through, as well as being required to be secured every 1/2 meter, not just draped along like an extension cord.

Landing one of these on the Triumph is one thing, but when you make what is called a "semi-permanent" installation, it must meet the requirements of the IMO and class society.

I also wonder about fuel supply, as I haven't seen any clear indication of a means to refill the generator's fuel tank, which would have a capacity of 24 hours at most. Not saying its not there, it could be a hose led out through a door, just that I'm wondering about it.

And when I have used these generator sets in a "semi-permanent" installation like this, we were required to be hard wired.

Edited by chengkp75

There are plans for new generators. But they will have to cut holes in the hull to put them in. Those units in the photos would do nothing more than power the bridge electronics.

That is what I was thinking. I don't think they could run much of anything on ships as large as these. What are they really for?

That is what I was thinking. I don't think they could run much of anything on ships as large as these. What are they really for?

As I've said, these are 1.5-2 megawatt generators. They would likely power all lighting, vacuum toilet systems, elevators, the provisions refrigeration system, some galley functions, and ventilation, but not A/C. Typical hotel load for an average ship is 6-8 megawatts, though about 65% of this is the big A/C units, which are high voltage and wouldn't be able to be powered by these additional generators. The old emergency generator, probably a 0.5-1 megawatt unit would power what it always has, by law, some lighting, all navigation and communication, a fire pump, a bilge pump, and the lifeboat and liferaft davits.

In all seriousness, I was really expecting them to install the generator inside of a mechanical room below decks.

Really?? Seriously?? You expected this from Walmart of the Seas? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Those straps are a law suit waiting to happen!

Found this in a post from today. See post # 21. Don't know if you've seen this one yet.

I didn't want to copy and paste their picture.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2021274

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Thanks, that's the type of installation I would expect.

In all seriousness, I was really expecting them to install the generator inside of a mechanical room below decks.

Really?? Seriously?? You expected this from Walmart of the Seas? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Those straps are a law suit waiting to happen!

And what do you think will happen to those straps? While I am surprised that Carnival was approved to use Span-Set straps, rather than wire or bar rigging, there is nothing inherently unsafe about ratchet straps. Each of those straps is rated for about a 5 ton load. The main restraining device for the container are the "twist-locks" that lock the four bottom corners to the foundation on the ship. In post #62 photo, you can see little round handles between the white container and the gray foundation, which activate the lock. These twist-locks are used millions of times a day to hold the millions of containers carried on every container ship in the world.

The purpose? To make you feel warm and fuzzy. I doubt they would power all that stuff. I am guessing some lights, fans, toilets and galley. Maybe one bank of elevators.

I'll guess that my guess is closer than your guess. Another major consumer of hotel load are the engine room ancillary equipment needed to keep the main diesel generators running, and the boilers heating, and if these extra generators are in use, those systems wouldn't be needed. Even running the refrigeration system for all those walk-in freezers and refrigerators that everyone amazes over on the "behind the fun" tours, would only take about 5% of the capacity of this generator.

Edited by chengkp75