Power Strips Confisgated - Veendam, San Diego March 9

lindberg

We have just boarded the Oosterdam in Sydney, Australia and all power strips were taken until the end of the cruise. It did not matter if surge protected or not, no exceptions. We did get one from the front desk and it was a $40.00 deposit which is refunded at the end of the cruise when you return it.

Happy cruising,

Chris

Ahoy Chris!

I was just curious. Were the strips removed from both checked-in baggages & carry-on luggages?

That would seem to be a major screening issue for the ship's staffing.

And, was it difficult (stand in line time) to aquire an approved strip from the front desk?

We'll be boarding the Oosterdam soon.

Have yourselves a great cruise!

Be well.

Bob

Wow. Interesting thread! We just got off the Volendam this morning from a 28 Asia collectors cruise and had our power bar plugged in all 28 days. Charged our phones, camera and computer

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Will be interesting to read the responses and hear from you what you experience on your trip. We're scheduled out on the Maasdam in May and also have the issue of dealing with a CPAP. Enjoy your cruise!

All I can say is that every ship must be different. We boarded the Noordam a few days ago with a power board (no surge protector) and extension lead from home and neither were confiscated.

In saying that we didn't want to be without something so also called HAL Australia and they requested one through guest relations in Seattle. When we arrived in our cabin a 12 foot heavy duty lead was waiting for us. Very pleased all around.

The ship is looking well, the crew fabulous and no aircon or toilet issues.... fingers crossed.

Enjoy your trip.

All I can say is that every ship must be different. We boarded the Noordam a few days ago with a power board (no surge protector) and extension lead from home and neither were confiscated.

In saying that we didn't want to be without something so also called HAL Australia and they requested one through guest relations in Seattle. When we arrived in our cabin a 12 foot heavy duty lead was waiting for us. Very pleased all around.

The ship is looking well, the crew fabulous and no aircon or toilet issues.... fingers crossed.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the update!! Enjoy the rest of your cruise!!:)

I use one of these Monster strips that doesn't have the surge protection feature:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk

It compact & lightweight. Useful for cruise ships, hotels, etc.

I've also seen them for sale at Wal-Mart.

In so far as charging a computer, my laptop charging cord / transformer label states that it can be plugged into a 110V or 220V outlet with no problem (which I've done aboard cruise ships).

Just my two cents.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

That's what I have -- now I don't have to dig it out of the suitcase unitl July! Mt late DH got it several years ago. I take it on trips, but wasn't sure if it has a surge protector or not. Thanks!:)

I am curious... How many plug connections did the Official HAL outlet have?

One in the bathroom WAAAAY up above the mirror and ONE in the main cabin - right in the middle of the desk. Not enough for all of today's multiple gadgets.

Okie

My daughter was not a happy cruiser. Spring break was ruined. She said she wouldn't cruise Holland America again.

This made me giggle....3 days without computer and spring break was ruined on a beautiful ship in the Caribbean - 1st world problems. But I get your angst - I already know I will be without the netz unless I happen to take my kindle into port and find a wifi location. its like an addiction is what it is.

Wonder how many tomb stones will say - his last regret was not being able to get on line....

I guess she will not mind setting your cabin on fire.. All she had to do is get one from the front desk. My cruise to Alaska in 2011 I asked my cabin steward He said NO. I went down to the front desk and they gave me one.

Happy HAl is stopping people from risking my life if there is a fire because the want a charger.

the library has plenty of places to charge anything.

Mary

Hi

I never understood on cruises for a week or two people lug thier lap top off a cruise port to get free internet service. Places like Alaska where beauty is every where some one need thier laptop,tablet to play games. I think you can send reports of your trip but to lug a lap top off the shiip or go to free internet hot spot

Mary

Ahoy Chris!

I was just curious. Were the strips removed from both checked-in baggages & carry-on luggages?

That would seem to be a major screening issue for the ship's staffing.

And, was it difficult (stand in line time) to aquire an approved strip from the front desk?

We'll be boarding the Oosterdam soon.

Have yourselves a great cruise!

Be well.

Bob

Bob,

Sorry for the late reply but we did not check the board on the cruise.

Ours and many others were in our checked baggage and we had to go to the 'naughty room' to open the case, not sure about the carry on bags. There was no wait to get the HAL one from the front desk, however not sure how many they have.

Hope you have a great cruise as well, I am sure you will enjoy the Oosterdam.

Happy Cruising,

Chris