Power Strips Confisgated - Veendam, San Diego March 9

lindberg

The bolded red part is just not true. Depending on the age of the laptop and how it has been used, the battery may not last over a couple of minutes. If the laptop has been typically used while plugged in, the battery will deteriorate and over time not hold a charge.

So do you think her battery only lasted a few minutes or an hour or so?

Goes to my other point about this person, so she is a university student traveling with her parents. Uses her laptop constantly as a full time student, has a report and studying for exams and is going on a cruise but needs a new battery but doesn't take the time or thought to buy / replace it?

If this is the scenario she would be struggling at school as well as she would be taking notes by hand at lectures as she cannot bring her laptop to class.

The parents are taking / paying for her cruise so don't pull the she may not have the financial means

I just went through battery replacement with my Mac Power Book and it gives months of notice on battery condition and level of deterioration and when replacement is needed.

and a lot good information being exchanged and being commented on with humor and/or good advise.

Now it is being reduced to rude and/or snarky comments. This why I left Cruise Critic for a year.

Why is it so hard for members to keep things civil?:confused:

Barbara

I've heard that a charge in the amount of $25 will be applied to the onboard account for anyone who 'borrows' a HAL power strip/bar, & then it will be credited to the same account upon being returned to the Front Desk/Office at the completion of the cruise. Did this procedure/protocol apply in your experience? :confused:

We were charged $30 last month on the Volendam for a power bar. When DH returned it he requested it be credited. Hope that happened, we didn't check. :)

and a lot good information being exchanged and being commented on with humor and/or good advise.

Now it is being reduced to rude and/or snarky comments. This why I left Cruise Critic for a year.

Why is it so hard for members to keep things civil?:confused:

Barbara

Don't let the trolls get you down. There's an "ignore" feature you can use to keep certain posters from showing up at all. You need to be using the browser based version of CC and not the mobile version.

Up near the top of the page, you'll see "User CP" which takes you to your User Control Panel. You can edit your Ignore list using the Ignore List on the left side of the screen.

All you have to do is add a few select people to your Ignore list and you will notice that the sky is brighter, the flowers are more fragrant, and the birdsong is cheerier.

If you want to remove someone later, you can uncheck them to take them off your ignore list. As a rule though, once a user starts beclowning themselves, it's usually a chronic condition.

We were on the Ryndam in December and Noordam earlier this month. Both times I requested a power strip from the cabin steward - they both called it an "extension cord." Both times I got the power strip in a timely fashion. I never saw a charge/credit on my bill. Both times I just left the power strip on the desk.

If you travel with a smart phone you can load an app that allows one to use it as a flash light.

You can also get an app that allows you to use it as night vision.

This lightens the packing load so you don't need to carry a flash light.

With Gmail you can use their Gphone feature which allows you from your computer to call cell phones and land lines for free if you have fast enough wifi connections.

Not used it from a ship but it works fine from ports. I have called N America for free from Rome and Barcelona and recently from Australia and Thailand with this feature.

This plug is very compact and would not be spotted in a luggage scan.

I carry one in my computer bag so I can charge multiple items at the air port. If the plugs are occupied you can share with other passengers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWIVEL-SOCKET-SIDE-PLUG-MULTI-OUTLET-ELECTRICAL-EXTENSION-MULTI-PLUG-NEW-/161225228043?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&hash=item2589c5bf0b

As for surges computers and mobile phones can be used in a 100v or 220v outlet so the odds of a ship having a voltage spike of higher then 220 volts in a 110 outlet is unlikely.

The charger and the units battery also act as a surge protector / voltage buffer.

If you carry a European plug convertor which is small as well you can use the other 220v outlet to charge as well.

Cheers

The bolded red part is just not true. Depending on the age of the laptop and how it has been used, the battery may not last over a couple of minutes. If the laptop has been typically used while plugged in, the battery will deteriorate and over time not hold a charge.

Ain't the truth! Best I can manage is about one minute to get from one room to another. I have tried with three batteries to save and charge as instructed..... about 15 months... GONE!

Don't let the trolls get you down. There's an "ignore" feature you can use to keep certain posters from showing up at all. You need to be using the browser based version of CC and not the mobile version.

Up near the top of the page, you'll see "User CP" which takes you to your User Control Panel. You can edit your Ignore list using the Ignore List on the left side of the screen.

All you have to do is add a few select people to your Ignore list and you will notice that the sky is brighter, the flowers are more fragrant, and the birdsong is cheerier.

If you want to remove someone later, you can uncheck them to take them off your ignore list. As a rule though, once a user starts beclowning themselves, it's usually a chronic condition.

For both the encouragement and for the information about ignoring certain posters. That will be used shortly -

On another note - have LOVED following your posts about the "extensive research and sacrifice (including headaches" you and your fellow scientist made regarding the various "imbibing opportunities" now available to HAL cruisers. It has been very informative and entertaining.

Barbara

For both the encouragement and for the information about ignoring certain posters. That will be used shortly -

On another note - have LOVED following your posts about the "extensive research and sacrifice (including headaches" you and your fellow scientist made regarding the various "imbibing opportunities" now available to HAL cruisers. It has been very informative and entertaining.

Barbara

Thanks, Barbara! One of our researchers uses the ignore feature extensively. I don't though.

Sometimes you have to wonder what's eating these people. Whatever it is, it must be suffering horribly. ;)

We were on the P and O Azura 8 weeks ago and there was a fire in a cabin caused by electric extension lead overload.

Fortunately we were in port but it was a sobering experience to see all the crew going to emergancy stations.

Most cruise lines we have cruised with offer an approved extension if you ask.....

I've heard that a charge in the amount of $25 will be applied to the onboard account for anyone who 'borrows' a HAL power strip/bar, & then it will be credited to the same account upon being returned to the Front Desk/Office at the completion of the cruise. Did this procedure/protocol apply in your experience? :confused:

No but if we didn't leave it or return it, I am sure we would hate been charged. If it did I didn't notice. I will be on the Volendam in a couple of weeks I'll let you know.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

It seems to be 'hit & miss' if one is charged for the 'rental' of a power strip/bar from the Front Desk/Office! Someone on this thread was charged $30, (so the price has increased from $25)! :eek: But then, I wasn't charged for the rental of a cooler/'frig for my interior stateroom during my recent cruise! :p

It seems to be 'hit & miss' if one is charged for the 'rental' of a power strip/bar from the Front Desk/Office!
No one is ever charged rent for power strip - that's a security deposit. You don't get rental money back when you return equipment.

...or you can neutralize them by ignoring them.

I never said to respond to them, only to be aware.

As for me , I ignore mean people because my mom taught me 'If you cant say something nice, don't say anything'

Edited by jimdalva

We have just boarded the Oosterdam in Sydney, Australia and all power strips were taken until the end of the cruise. It did not matter if surge protected or not, no exceptions. We did get one from the front desk and it was a $40.00 deposit which is refunded at the end of the cruise when you return it.

Happy cruising,

Chris

No one is ever charged rent for power strip - that's a security deposit. You don't get rental money back when you return equipment.

Correct, but on the other hand, if you do NOT return the power strip to the Front Desk/Office at the completion of the cruise then you will be CHARGED the amount of the 'security deposit' to your onboard account! ;)

We have just boarded the Oosterdam in Sydney, Australia and all power strips were taken until the end of the cruise. It did not matter if surge protected or not, no exceptions. We did get one from the front desk and it was a $40.00 deposit which is refunded at the end of the cruise when you return it.

Happy cruising,

Chris

Wow, it used to be $25! For me, $40 would be (more) of an incentive for me to ensure that the power strip, (we call them a power 'bar' in Canada), would be returned at the completion of my cruise! :D

This thread is very concerning. DH uses a CPAP so I called HAL Australia to arrange an extension lead or a power bar for our Noordam cruise of April 4 and I was told that they were not available as an 'extra' on board and that we should bring our own as long as there is no surge protector.

To hear that ours may be confiscated after being told by HAL to bring our own is extremely odd.....what happens when we board, ask for one and get told there are none. I would hope they have a reserve specifically for medical reasons.

How do others deal with CPAPS when the bed is so far away from the desk outlets?

Will definitely be bringing our own anyway and see what happens. Will also ring again on Monday and see if someone different gives me a different version!!:confused:

Edited by Lara Cruising

Correct, but on the other hand, if you do NOT return the power strip to the Front Desk/Office at the completion of the cruise then you will be CHARGED the amount of the 'security deposit' to your onboard account! ;)
That doesn't make it RENT. There's a big difference.

Edited by jtl513

This thread is very concerning. DH uses a CPAP so I called HAL Australia to arrange an extension lead or a power bar for our Noordam cruise of April 4 and I was told that they were not available as an 'extra' on board and that we should bring our own as long as there is no surge protector.

To hear that ours may be confiscated after being told by HAL to bring our own is extremely odd.....what happens when we board, ask for one and get told there are none. I would hope they have a reserve specifically for medical reasons.

How do others deal with CPAPS when the bed is so far away from the desk outlets?

Will definitely be bringing our own anyway and see what happens. Will also ring again on Monday and see if someone different gives me a different version!!:confused:

Will be interesting to read the responses and hear from you what you experience on your trip. We're scheduled out on the Maasdam in May and also have the issue of dealing with a CPAP. Enjoy your cruise!

I suggest when you call that you mention that you are aware that all power strips were recently confiscated on a ship and you are concerned for your DH's health and safety should a power strip not be available. I would seek written confirmation that either a power strip would be available for your use upon boarding or that your own power strip could be used.

Edited by cbr663

The following has been in the Know Before You Go for many years:

Electrical Appliances: All staterooms are equipped with

standard 110 AC and 220 AC outlets. Guests with pre- or postcruise

hotel packages may want to bring converters

and/or adapters for their hotel stay. All staterooms are equipped

with hair dryers. If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland

America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please

contact the Front Office for more information.

This has been argued about many times on this forum. If you try to bring one of your own again make sure it is one without a surge protector. Those are bad on a ship because they shunt surges into the ship metal structure. I believe if yours did not have surge protectors they would not have been taken.

Or if you're in the situation again, have your daughter go to the Explorations Cafe and look for power outlets down near the floor where the stewards plug in their vacuum cleaners. Or ask one of them where an outlet is.

I bring "3 way cube taps" rather than a power strip ever since the notice first appeared in KBYG.

There you have it...

Just a thought: can you (or an appliance repair shop) modify the CPAP machine to have a 9>10 ft cord, and therefore not require any extension? Edited by jtl513

We take an extension cord for the CPAP which is only plugged in at night

and put away during the day. I have read that any extension cords are

quickly gone so always bring our own.

I assume the power strips are for multi use - and you are not referring to

an extension cord with one plug?