Power Strips Confisgated - Veendam, San Diego March 9

lindberg

Sometimes a lightning strike can be more than just a 'bang'!!!!

Ah, but that is an oil tanker loading or discharging. Oil (especially light distillates like gasoline, diesel, or kerosene) when flowing in a pipe or hose, tend to generate static electricity. The lightning was the voltage that set off the spark from the static electricity, and caught the cargo on fire. This is why most tankers use inerted atmospheres in the cargo tanks (less than 0.5% oxygen, which means no combustion can occur), and stop cargo operations in lightning storms.

While I appreciate that someone actually reads my posts, I think you are overstating the danger somewhat. Surge protectors provide a potential path for current to the hull. The more surge suppressors, the more paths. However, the damage to the ship's hull from consumer electronics is minimal, and most ground fault problems tend to be long term in their damage to the hull (many years). The problem is, that the ship's engineers cannot tell when they get a ground fault alarm whether it is from the 10,000 volt propulsion motor or your laptop (overly simplistic), where the damage from the motor will cause damage to the hull and motor, while your laptop is a nuisance, but they will have to spend time looking around the ship for where the ground fault has actually occurred.

And Silvercruiser is correct, that the clamping voltage of most surge protectors is well above the normal voltage variations experienced onboard ship. As I've said, unless there is a lightning strike, or a blackout and subsequent power recovery, the surge protector will do nothing for you. Even a lightning strike generally does nothing, as the ship's hull is separate from the ground pin in the outlet, so lightning striking the steel ship will pass through the hull to the sea, generally without anyone noticing anything other than a loud bang.

Thanks for the explanation.. I understand what you are saying about the surge protectors & time spent looking for the ground fault..

I'm glad lightening rarely affects cruise ships..We belonged to a sailing club & always took shelter, if we could during a storm.. We had many people including us once, whose boats were damaged by lightening..

Today nearly everyone wants more outlets than are built into the ships. Wouldn't a simple solution be to simply furnish every stateroom with an approved one? The cost would be far less than, say, a DVD player that every HAL cabin has! I know a lot of loose ones would "disappear" at the end of each cruise, but maybe they could be attached by a chain, or fastened securely to the desk.

Good suggestion.. Another Poster suggested putting more outlets in, but think that's impossible to do after the ship is built.. Wonder if the newer cruise ships now being built, have more outlets or are the cruise lines trying to keep Psgrs from using too much power?

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Thanks for the explanation.. I understand what you are saying about the surge protectors & time spent looking for the ground fault..

I'm glad lightening rarely affects cruise ships..We belonged to a sailing club & always took shelter, if we could during a storm.. We had many people including us once, whose boats were damaged by lightening..

[betty[/size]

Taking shelter is always the best option, but a cruise ship doesn't have too many places to hide;). Small boats typically use DC power, which is a whole different can of worms, and one that assisted in my prosperity when a young engineer, as you would not believe how many boat owners know nothing of electricity, and are willing to throw money at someone who will actually come out to their boat and fix things. Also, your typical fiberglass boat does not present the massive conductor that a steel hull does, so lightning on a small boat tends to wander around looking for the best path to the water, and that may blow holes in the hull, or decide you are the best conductor, because fiberglass is a fair insulator.

However if the ship can't provide a power strip, what would you do if you needed one for lets say a Breathing Machine or Wheelchair or something else? The OP stated the ship could not provide one for three days..

Agree you are right but if I can't get one on board & need one then I'll sure as heck get approval to use my own!

Suggest that some posters on this thread may want to re-read some of the other posts on this thread, before passing judgment..:rolleyes:

Betty

One would hope that HAL has the ability to triage needs /requests and would prioritize limited supply based on need vs convenience. CPAP = need, wanting a plug in the room instead of going to computer room could =convenience

Ah, but that is an oil tanker loading or discharging. Oil (especially light distillates like gasoline, diesel, or kerosene) when flowing in a pipe or hose, tend to generate static electricity. The lightning was the voltage that set off the spark from the static electricity, and caught the cargo on fire. This is why most tankers use inerted atmospheres in the cargo tanks (less than 0.5% oxygen, which means no combustion can occur), and stop cargo operations in lightning storms.

Yes, this is true. Unfortunately the vessl in this photo, the m.s. BUNGA ALPINA was actually struck by lightning which started the fire and then caused three larger explosions. She was methanol. Nasty.

One well know ship was the BP tanker BRITISH ARCHITECT. She was tank cleaning... back in that day nothing such as inerting.

Gross Tons 22,729

Dwt Tons 37,342

7.11.1957 Launched by Swan,Hunter & Wigham, Richardson Ltd, Wallsend (Yard No 1869), for the BP Tanker Co Ltd. 6.1958 Completed.;7,1958 Transferred to the Tanker Charter Co Ltd. 16,6,1970 Whilst on a ballast voyage from Chiba to Persian Gulf was struck by lightning forward of the quarterdeck causing an explosion and damage to main deck. 23,6,1970; Arrived at Hong Kong under own power for repairs. 1972 Transferred to the BP Tanker Co Ltd. 31,1 1975: laid up at London. 29,11,1975: Arrived in tow at Dalmuir for demolition by W.H. Arnott, Young & Co Ltd.

The deck opened up like sardine tin.... the deck peeled back and covered over the top of the monkey island. Damage of the monkey island can see in the photo.

Just about the same time I was sailing in a much larger tanker, 81,000 dwt.... at sea.. lightning struck by the manifold... also on passage from Chiba to Persian Gulf. Also in ballast but thankfully we had washed and were almost finished gas freeing.

But the cruise ships are another situation.... too much alcohol.. some of it taste like methanol... grappa!

Problem is that there is one passenger in a million who takes a chance with faulty allpiance or plug or whatever. A fire is not to play at any time. I don't care how much passenger thinks how good their appliance might be. If it checked then have someone on board.

One would hope that HAL has the ability to triage needs /requests and would prioritize limited supply based on need vs convenience. CPAP = need, wanting a plug in the room instead of going to computer room could =convenience
Unless a "special needs" request is submitted in advance, how would HAL know at Noon on embarkation day when someone walks up to the Front Desk and asks for one whether there will be someone later on who needs that last one? The easiest thing would be to simply put one in every room.

I seem to recall that at one time (and maybe still is) a $20 deposit required to get one, so if the passenger wanted to take home a $10 strip for $20 they're welcome to it! ;)

Yes, this is true. Unfortunately the vessl in this photo, the m.s. BUNGA ALPINA was actually struck by lightning which started the fire and then caused three larger explosions. She was methanol. Nasty.

One well know ship was the BP tanker BRITISH ARCHITECT. She was tank cleaning... back in that day nothing such as inerting.

Gross Tons 22,729

Dwt Tons 37,342

7.11.1957 Launched by Swan,Hunter & Wigham, Richardson Ltd, Wallsend (Yard No 1869), for the BP Tanker Co Ltd. 6.1958 Completed.;7,1958 Transferred to the Tanker Charter Co Ltd. 16,6,1970 Whilst on a ballast voyage from Chiba to Persian Gulf was struck by lightning forward of the quarterdeck causing an explosion and damage to main deck. 23,6,1970; Arrived at Hong Kong under own power for repairs. 1972 Transferred to the BP Tanker Co Ltd. 31,1 1975: laid up at London. 29,11,1975: Arrived in tow at Dalmuir for demolition by W.H. Arnott, Young & Co Ltd.

The deck opened up like sardine tin.... the deck peeled back and covered over the top of the monkey island. Damage of the monkey island can see in the photo.

Just about the same time I was sailing in a much larger tanker, 81,000 dwt.... at sea.. lightning struck by the manifold... also on passage from Chiba to Persian Gulf. Also in ballast but thankfully we had washed and were almost finished gas freeing.

But the cruise ships are another situation.... too much alcohol.. some of it taste like methanol... grappa!

Problem is that there is one passenger in a million who takes a chance with faulty allpiance or plug or whatever. A fire is not to play at any time. I don't care how much passenger thinks how good their appliance might be. If it checked then have someone on board.

So there's more than one old salt out here. Yeah, tankers before inerting were pretty dangerous places to work, not just from lightning; MOC had a tanker opened like a can opener from a combination of stupidity and welding.

True that the pool deck bars should be designated hazardous locations:D with regards to lightning (white or otherwise).

I don't need to preach to you about fire safety onboard, but as you say, most folks say "it won't happen to me".

Thanks chenkp75 for all of your explanations. As a former boat owner, I dealt with electrolysis and can only imagine the kinds of problems a ship can face. On my last two HAL cruises, I requested a power strip from the cabin steward on the first day and it magically appeared in short order. BTW, both stewards call the power strip an extension cord.

Unless a "special needs" request is submitted in advance, how would HAL know at Noon on embarkation day when someone walks up to the Front Desk and asks for one whether there will be someone later on who needs that last one? The easiest thing would be to simply put one in every room.

I seem to recall that at one time (and maybe still is) a $20 deposit required to get one, so if the passenger wanted to take home a $10 strip for $20 they're welcome to it! ;)

There I go assuming again that people would request that when making the reservation - and I should know better since I talk to chronically ill people ALL day every day on the phone

I'd willing to pay a deposit for one if I had that need...

So there's more than one old salt out here. Yeah, tankers before inerting were pretty dangerous places to work, not just from lightning; MOC had a tanker opened like a can opener from a combination of stupidity and welding.

quote]

How does that help in a cabin without sun?

No, it doesn't. The idea is you charge phones/cameras while lying on your sun-bed:)

(Leaves your electrical points free at night for other items.)

Edited by chrispb

We've taken our power strip with us on many cruises without any problem. On our recent Rotterdam cruise, we didn't need to use it as one was already in our cabin. Maybe this will be true on all HAL ships soon???

It's the same as a pool lounge chair, more or less.
So, using a solar charger would be worthless for those of us who find sitting out by the pool beyond mind-numbingly boring. Never mind that we'd have to be out in the sun for hours for the solar charger to work. No thanks. We value our health/skin too much.

It's the same as a pool lounge chair, more or less.

Oh. So people would pack up everything that needs charging (those 2 phones, 2 cameras, underwater video, e-readers, I-pads, I-pods, etc.) and bring them all up to the pool to charge?

I thought chrispb was talking about charging things in the cabin. Not worth the trouble to pack everything up and bring it elsewhere when with an approved power strip, and some planning, it can all be done in the cabin.

I really think the cruiselines were caught unprepared for the technological explosion of the last few years. (I am a copy editor/proofreader, and I swore I would NEVER have an e-book, and yet, even I have joined the dark side!) The number of things we have which require power is CRAZY now.

The staterooms clearly need more outlets. I wonder if new builds are planning on more outlets? I doubt it, though, because creating power uses fuel, right? (I am no engineer.) Just wondering.

Robin

Oh. So people would pack up everything that needs charging (those 2 phones, 2 cameras, underwater video, e-readers, I-pads, I-pods, etc.) and bring them all up to the pool to charge?

I thought chrispb was talking about charging things in the cabin. Not worth the trouble to pack everything up and bring it elsewhere when with an approved power strip, and some planning, it can all be done in the cabin.

Not to mention the size of the solar charger you'd need to charge all that stuff. (Trust me. I have experience with solar chargers. They're okay for a phone, but when you start getting into all the devices you listed, it would be a big, honking panel array. It wouldn't matter if you didn't want to lounge by the pool. The solar system would take up a good part of your chair. ;))