Carnival and the Mexican Riviera

omar151

Mazatlan was, imo, a terrible port. That is one of the reasons I chose Carnival for my upcoming cruise over NCL, I had no desire to go back to Mazatlan. There is definitely a safety concern there, much more so than PV. I vacation in PV a lot, for 7-10 days at a time, and have never had an issue. Quite frankly, I wish they spent 2 days in PV over Cabo.

Granted it's been a few years but we were there with our friends, who used to winter vacation there from 2-3 weeks every year for a number of years, and had a great time and never felt unsafe. There was a program on the Travel Channel not to long ago that pointed out all the changes and improvements Mazatlan has made in the last 2 years to get back the lost tourism. It stressed that it was not really a safety concern as much as they were stale and outdated.

Granted it's been a few years but we were there with our friends, who used to winter vacation there from 2-3 weeks every year for a number of years, and had a great time and never felt unsafe. There was a program on the Travel Channel not to long ago that pointed out all the changes and improvements Mazatlan has made in the last 2 years to get back the lost tourism. It stressed that it was not really a safety concern as much as they were stale and outdated.

That very well could be, last time I was there was on Carnival Pride in 2004. :eek: Was it really that long ago? Damn the years fly by.

That was also the first time I been to PV, and fell in love with it there. Been back for vacations several times. Mazatlan just seemed dirty and sketchy, but there are places in Los Angeles that feel the same way. I guess it would be interesting to see how it's changed.

Mazatlan was, imo, a terrible port. That is one of the reasons I chose Carnival for my upcoming cruise over NCL, I had no desire to go back to Mazatlan. There is definitely a safety concern there, much more so than PV. I vacation in PV a lot, for 7-10 days at a time, and have never had an issue. Quite frankly, I wish they spent 2 days in PV over Cabo.

Actually Carnival does have some of their Mexican Riviera cruises with two nights in PV you can choose. I don't feel any of these ports are any worse than you might run into in Los Angeles now. I am wondering what makes you think Mazatlan is any different than PV? Have any Carnival guests been robbed at gunpoint there? That could happen anywhere. That is why IMHO it is only saving fuel cost is the real reason why Mazatlan is no longer called upon, with a feeble excuse that it is too dangerous in Mazatlan. I don't know the exact distance from PV to Mazatlan the back to Cabo is, but surely at least a couple hundred miles of travel being saved.

Edited by n6uqqq

Does anybody think that Carnival will every offer the 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise on a year round basis again instead of a few sailing dates? Oh how I miss it so. :confused:

Probably not thats why the Splendor is gone. We miss it also.

The good news for the west coast is that cruise lines are returning. NCL, HAL, Celebrity and Princess are all doing Mexican Riviera or California Coastal cruises. Even Royal is returning to the west coast with a handful of sailings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I live carnival so what other cruise line would be similar? I want a more laid back group of people not uptight

Would love to see more lines offering a Pacific Coastal itinerary (ie, out of Long Beach, with possibly an overnight in SF). And, as others have pointed out, unfortunately all West Coast ships spend late April to mid Sept in Alaska.... where money can be more easily made.

I wish they did!!!

I live carnival so what other cruise line would be similar? I want a more laid back group of people, not uptight

Although I haven't been on NCL, it seems like they'd be the closest to Carnival in terms of laid back atmosphere and pricing.

On a side note, I was actually surprised when we sailed on Holland America last summer. I had read so much about their "older, worldlier, more affluent, refined and polished" clientele, yet our fellow cruisers were very similar to what we have encountered on more budget cruise lines. A little bit of everything. Young, old, singles, couples, families, polished and not so polished. So don't discard a specific cruise line because of perceived notions. You may also be surprised. :)

Edited by Tapi

We were on the NCL Star last week. Stops at Cabo, Mazatlan. and PV, and were accompanied at all three by the Veendam.

Mazatlan was dropped because of the media and the crime reportings. However, there has never been an incident of a cruise passenger being hurt or killed because of the drug cartels activities there.

It can be a very interesting city. Stone Island is like Mexico 50 years ago, or you can go to the Central Market to see how the locals do their shopping. If you want more upscale and modern, the Gold Zone will provide that. Security has been very important to the city and they have spent millions to upgrade their security systems.

As you can tell, I like Mazatlan and that is the main reason I booked that cruise.

Maybe Carnival will see the others going there and add the port to their schedules

Another interesting development for the cruises in our part of the world is the port being built at Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point). If that is completed, it will provide access to about nine ports in the Sea of Cortez including Mazatlan and PV. Carnival and HAL were involved in the planning, so look for them to schedule cruises from there in the future.

Carnival took a piece of my heart when they took the Splendor and her year-round Mexican Riviera sailing away.

Wouldn't it be nice if Carnival would station a ship full time in L.A. (or better yet, San Francisco) and alternate sailings. One week to Mexico, the next a California Coastal, the next a 14 day to Hawaii, the one after a 14 day to Alaska, then back to Mexico, etc.? I would love to be able to sail out of California year-round.

Princess has had to fire sale their 3 & 4 day cruises. Cruisefare becoming a credit to a 7 day cruise. (One problem is that the 3/4 day cruises start/end midweek, not like Carnival's schedule at all.)

We took advantage of the credit. Cancelled our 7day PV/PV/Cabo Miracle cruise and sailed 10 day Sapphire Princess to San Diego/Cabo/PV/La Paz/Loreto.

Cost us way more on Princess because we had a 4K on the Miracle and had to get a minisuite to have the same amount of room in the cabin for the three of us.

Why has the cruise industry in general downsized their business on the west coast? It seems like it would be a money maker for them.

There was a great thread about this on the West Coast board.

Basically it was a combo of higher fuel costs (we require a low sulphur fuel), the economy tanking and lack of ports (as found out by the Swine Flu scare).

ETA- found one but not the one I'm thinking about.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1681360&highlight=sulphur

(BruceMuzz works for one of the cruiselines)

Edited by SadieN

Carnival took a piece of my heart when they took the Splendor and her year-round Mexican Riviera sailing away.

Wouldn't it be nice if Carnival would station a ship full time in L.A. (or better yet, San Francisco) and alternate sailings. One week to Mexico, the next a California Coastal, the next a 14 day to Hawaii, the one after a 14 day to Alaska, then back to Mexico, etc.? I would love to be able to sail out of California year-round.

That would be a great idea cvpends.

Actually Carnival does have some of their Mexican Riviera cruises with two nights in PV you can choose. I don't feel any of these ports are any worse than you might run into in Los Angeles now. I am wondering what makes you think Mazatlan is any different than PV? Have any Carnival guests been robbed at gunpoint there? That could happen anywhere. That is why IMHO it is only saving fuel cost is the real reason why Mazatlan is no longer called upon, with a feeble excuse that it is too dangerous in Mazatlan. I don't know the exact distance from PV to Mazatlan the back to Cabo is, but surely at least a couple hundred miles of travel being saved.

For a long time, there was a Travel Advisory in Mazatlan, but not in Puerto Vallara or Cabo. I just didn't like Mazatlan at all when we were there, didn't find it as nice, or nearly as fun, as the other ports. I vacation in PV a lot, and never feel unsafe there.

For the record, LA is considered one of the safest big cities in the US, not even making the list of most unsafe cities. Either way, yes anything can happen in any city, and does. But the fact that there was a travel warning in Mazatlan (for safety reasons) was probably partially responsible for their decision to stop going there.

I'm sure it's improved since then, as the travel advisory is gone now. But it was still the least popular port/destination with tourists.

Edit to say, I was wrong. There is still a travel advisory in Mazatlan.

Edited by Fitzget

I would love a longer sailing out of Long Beach or San Diego again! Disliked Mazatlan the one time we went but would simply stay on the ship if we went there again.

Looking forward to PV in November for sure.

Vicki

Me too, Vicki. See you on board!

Absolutely. 236 days, egad.

Egad is right! I see the countdown every time I log into my account at Carnival (which is often because I'm so anxious!) and every time I see it, I cringe a little!

I concur with Vicki. I have been to PV several times in November. Humidity is way down, weather is perfect! Very little rain in November. Rainy/humid season ends at the end of October.

Edited by Fitzget

I hope they do. Cruised 2 of the 7 day voyages on the Splendor. But my favorite...the 5 day cruises to Cabo leaving from San Diego with 2 days in Cabo. Please Carnival bring that itinerary back.

I agree with you! The 5 day Elation cruise to Cabo and Ensenada back in 2009 was the first cruise I did with my mom and been after 4 more cruises together (with the 5th coming in September), we STILL talk about it! We've done all the rest out of FL but are ready to get back to the West Coast!

I bet if they offered a year round that alternated ports and length, they would get more bookings. There is more to the west coast of Mexico than PV, Cabo and Ensenada.

We booked a 7-day Mexican Riviera on the Splendor back in June, 2009 (Cabo, PV and one other) but were diverted due to the Swine Flu.

Our cruise ended up going to Astoria, OR, Vancouver, BC and Victoria, BC. I would not have booked the cruise based on that itinerary, but it was AWESOME! Victoria and Vancouver were SO beautiful (there's a reason those two cities real estate costs an arm and a leg) and, believe it or not, very warm, too. There was a ton to do in those two towns as well. The only change I'd make is to replace Astoria (the town where Goonies was filmed) with Seattle (never been and would love to go to Pike's Place Market, etc).

If CCL offered a similiar itinerary in summer out of Long Beach or SF, they'd sell a ton. Think about how long ALL of the lines have offered pretty much the same itineraries. Change is good and would be very profitable, too.

We were on the NCL Star last week. Stops at Cabo, Mazatlan. and PV, and were accompanied at all three by the Veendam.

Mazatlan was dropped because of the media and the crime reportings. However, there has never been an incident of a cruise passenger being hurt or killed because of the drug cartels activities there.

It can be a very interesting city. Stone Island is like Mexico 50 years ago, or you can go to the Central Market to see how the locals do their shopping. If you want more upscale and modern, the Gold Zone will provide that. Security has been very important to the city and they have spent millions to upgrade their security systems.

As you can tell, I like Mazatlan and that is the main reason I booked that cruise.

Maybe Carnival will see the others going there and add the port to their schedules

Another interesting development for the cruises in our part of the world is the port being built at Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point). If that is completed, it will provide access to about nine ports in the Sea of Cortez including Mazatlan and PV. Carnival and HAL were involved in the planning, so look for them to schedule cruises from there in the future.

I agree! Mazatlan (Stone Island, in particular) was our favorite cruise stop ever. We are even thinking of spending a few months there each year when we retire! I wish Carnival would bring this port back.