Ruins of San Gervasio -vs- Tulum

Johalla

OK looking at which excursion to do when we cruise to Cozumel.

3 hours San Gervasio vs 8 hours (for the Tulum Ruins & Beach Break)

$39.00/ea -vs- $113.00/ea

We really like the shorter time on the one but if it's not worth the time.... /shrug

Anyone have experience with both of these and have advice?

Thanks!

OK looking at which excursion to do when we cruise to Cozumel.

3 hours San Gervasio vs 8 hours (for the Tulum Ruins & Beach Break)

$39.00/ea -vs- $113.00/ea

We really like the shorter time on the one but if it's not worth the time.... /shrug

Anyone have experience with both of these and have advice?

Thanks!

Just did the San Gervasio tour on our Serenade cruise in Feb 2014. Link is in my sig if you want to look through it.

That being said, if you are up for the ferry ride across the channel, the Tulum ruins are going to be far more complete than the San Gervasio ruins. SG was on land owned by a farmer that went looking for gold. With dynamite.

So they're pretty badly beaten up. It's not a bad tour for getting a look around Cozumel itself. But there's not an intact building anywhere.

I think Tulum is totally worth it. It is an all-day excursion, but it is just beautiful there. Hopefully, your guide will have a lot of interesting and informative facts about the ruins and history of the area.

I will be seeing San Gervasio next month (thanks Darkwolfe) so I can't give a comparison, but since we saw Tulum in December, I opted to do a shorter excursion while on Cozumel again.

I just love the Mayan history.

I think Tulum is totally worth it. It is an all-day excursion, but it is just beautiful there. Hopefully, your guide will have a lot of interesting and informative facts about the ruins and history of the area.

I will be seeing San Gervasio next month (thanks Darkwolfe) so I can't give a comparison, but since we saw Tulum in December, I opted to do a shorter excursion while on Cozumel again.

I just love the Mayan history.

Tulum has my vote too!

There is absolultely no comparison! Tulum for sure. SG is basically piles of rocks.

That's relatively true. A nutcase farmer and his dynamite. But for a $40 tour it's not all bad. I had my parents along so the trip over for Tulum was out of the question.

I've done both. I call the one in Cozumel "wannabe" ruins. They

are pretty cool if you don't want to make a lot of effort and not spend

a whole day doing it. How many of there are you? You can easily

rent a jeep for about $70 and drive there. Entrance fee is nominal.

You can get a tour guide there if you want one.

Tulum is pretty spectacular. Very hot and no shade. There is a pretty

beach down at the bottom if you want to take a dip. I wish someone

had told me before I went because that water sure looked inviting for

a quick cool off.

If you think this will be your only time in that area, then I would do

Tulum. San Gervasio is interesting on a much smaller scale with

less effort.

That's my 2 cents.

I would go to Tulum. I love swimming at the beach below the ruins. Make sure to have water with you as it hot there. You can purchase food and drinks outside the entrance. You could take the ferry over to Playa del Carmen and then take the ADO bus or collective to the ruins. These are located close to the pier. This would also allow you to spend as much time on the beach as you choose. Souvenirs are more expensive at the ruins than in PDC or Cozumel. The ADO bus stops outside the ruins.

Where do i book the tour to the Tulum? Thanks!

Through your ship on Tulum with all the transportation involved.

I book independently 99% of the time, but due to transportation issues, I would only book Tulum or the 3 ruins in Belize, through a cruiseline.

Bill

We went to Tulum last week. On our first cruise 25 years ago, we went to San Gervasio. DH has talked about going to Tulum ever since. The structures are in a breathtaking setting. Unfortunately we did not have the best guide. It's also a very long day. We had to be up to meet for the excursion at 6:45 a.m. The excursion took the whole day--getting us back to the ship right when everyone was supposed to be on board.

The surf the day we were there was rough. They closed the stairs down to the beach. It was also very hot. I'm glad we finally got to see Tulum, but I doubt if we'll ever go again. Overall I was disappointed.