Moving up from Royal Caribbean- Right choice?

kruzerci

We've been cruising with Royal Caribbean for 14 years now. We have always thorough enjoyed our cruises, but lately, the quality just doesn't seem to be there and the loyalty program seems to be lessening every year.

We have decided that it may be time for us to take a step up to Celebrity. We're looking for a little more upscale experience, but similar to what we are used to. We spend most of our days poolside or at the beach in port and enjoy shows and eating at a nice restaurant at night.

We want to book a Solstice class ship to the Caribbean in late 2015. I have gone ahead and gotten a Captains Club number (Elite since we are Diamond on Royal). It is my understanding that there is a similar lounge with free cocktails at night, is that correct?

Any tips for an experienced cruiser who is new to X? Any tips about the Solstice class?

Lastly, I read Captains Cub members could book 2015 Caribbean cruises starting this week, but it looks like they haven't opened yet?

Celebrity is far better than RCCL in our book. It all depends on what you like. We prefer Aqua class cabins, where your main dinning room is Blu, a specialty restaurant , exclusively for Aqua class passengers. But that is our preference, and there are a lot of opinions here! The Solstice class ships are sure to please.

I enjoy both lines. Celebrity goes for a bit more refined feel and tends to draw a somewhat more "mature" crowd.

Celebrity does not have dedicated, 24 hour lounges for Elites (like the DL on many RCI ships). But they do offer the Elites free cocktails for a couple hours (shorter time that RCI) most nights (not the first night and not the night of the senior officer party, IIRC). You'll get a letter telling you the details.

The lounge setup is slightly different. There is a nightly event where they bring you free drinks from a list (although on some cruises they've started using vouchers instead of the party). There are also warm appetizers that are passed around. It's very nice.

The coffee in the morning is done at one of the venues for a few hours. It's an upscale continental breakfast with included specialty coffees. On our two Solstice class cruises (Silhouette and Solstice) it was in the Tuscan restaurant with a fabulous view out the back of the ship.

We love the Solstice class ships. They are different in that they have a centrum rather than a promenade, but they are more elegant and the feel is quieter and classier. We like both RCI and Celebrity so we can get our "gaza" and "less gaza" cruises.

Don't miss the Bistro on 5 restaurant. It has a $5 up charge, but it's very good.

The Qsine restaurant is expensive, but it's really fun and, if you can, you won't be sorry trying it once.

The shows are always really good.

We love the food in the MDR.

We think the buffet is organized better.

X has a great waffle bar.

I don't know when cruises open for 2015.

There are nice little touches on X like sparkling wine when you board, cold towels and water while waiting in line to board from a port, chocolates on your pillow, the ships are very nicely appointed, etc. You will like it if you like RCI. It will be very familiar, but enough different so as to make you feel like you're doing something new.

Tom

We've been cruising with Royal Caribbean for 14 years now. We have always thorough enjoyed our cruises, but lately, the quality just doesn't seem to be there and the loyalty program seems to be lessening every year.

We have decided that it may be time for us to take a step up to Celebrity. We're looking for a little more upscale experience, but similar to what we are used to. We spend most of our days poolside or at the beach in port and enjoy shows and eating at a nice restaurant at night.

We want to book a Solstice class ship to the Caribbean in late 2015. I have gone ahead and gotten a Captains Club number (Elite since we are Diamond on Royal). It is my understanding that there is a similar lounge with free cocktails at night, is that correct?

Any tips for an experienced cruiser who is new to X? Any tips about the Solstice class?

Lastly, I read Captains Cub members could book 2015 Caribbean cruises starting this week, but it looks like they haven't opened yet?

You will not be Elite on X but have those Elite benefits. You are starting from scratch with X points.

You will find some differences between the lines but most RC loyalists generally like X if they don't cruise with kids or want a very active ship board experience. X does treat you like an adult who can make your own vacation fun.

Yes, you can start booking the cruises this week, but they are not published on the Celebrity site. You need to call Captain's Club (800-760-0654) or a TA to get the actual itineraries. There is also a thread regarding the dates that CC members can book prior to the public. They will show dates & ships, but not the actual itinerary.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/Caribbean/Flyers/14037873_CEL_2015_2016_Caribbean_Deployment_Flyer.pdf

Yes, you will be considered Elite on Celebrity and you will love the perks!!

Enjoy your first Celebrity cruise! :)