New Yorkers, NJ'ers, can you help a TN girl out?

TNIris

Hi all!

We are leaving out of the Explorer of the Seas out of Cape Liberty, NJ on Oct 9th.

We are flying from TN to NY on Oct 6 to spend a few days in Manhattan.

Using hotel points, we hope to stay in Seacaucus, NJ.

Question 1: What is the best (cheapest) way to get from Laguardia to Seacaucus? Would love a train if it is available, bus would be hard would four people and luggage, but if taxi is outrageous, we can do bus!

Question 2: Looks like the easiest way to get from Seacaucus to Manhattan is the NJ train system, $4 per person, sound right? Hotel to train station is 3 miles, which I could totally walk, but the husband and kids will complain. :D Hopefully the hotel will have a free shuttle!

Question 3: How to get from Seacaucus to the cruise port? Looks to be about 30 miles? Are we looking at a taxi?

Thanks so much for any help or advice you can give us!

Hi, the cheapest way to go from la guardia to Secaucus is to take the m60 bus from the airport to 125th in Harlem, you take it with a metrocard $2.50 then with the same metrcard you can take the C train to 34th street Penn station and there take the train to Secaucus, usually hotels have shuttle service to public transp. From Secaucus to Bayonne is less than 15 miles, best option take a cab, I hope it works ;)

I think secaucus is a good place to stay. Very close to transportation and a dozen or so chain restaurants, stores, etc. with luggage, I would suggest a car service or taxi to hotel. I think some people have used dial 7.

Hi all!

We are leaving out of the Explorer of the Seas out of Cape Liberty, NJ on Oct 9th.

We are flying from TN to NY on Oct 6 to spend a few days in Manhattan.

Using hotel points, we hope to stay in Seacaucus, NJ.

Question 1: What is the best (cheapest) way to get from Laguardia to Seacaucus? Would love a train if it is available, bus would be hard would four people and luggage, but if taxi is outrageous, we can do bus!

Question 2: Looks like the easiest way to get from Seacaucus to Manhattan is the NJ train system, $4 per person, sound right? Hotel to train station is 3 miles, which I could totally walk, but the husband and kids will complain. :D Hopefully the hotel will have a free shuttle!

Question 3: How to get from Seacaucus to the cruise port? Looks to be about 30 miles? Are we looking at a taxi?

Thanks so much for any help or advice you can give us!

Hopefully this will get moved to the East Coast board, but meanwhile...

What exact hotel are you hoping to stay at in Secaucus? Are you traveling with children under 12? What exact date do you sail?

1). You need to price out a car service from LGA to Secaucus. Try Dial7 and Carmellimo in NY and Secaucus Taxi in Secaucus for quotes. Be sure to clarify tolls. I would not consider the M60 bus to the subway at 125th St. There is an airporter bus for $13/pp that will drop you at NY Penn Station. Then you have train plus taxi to the hotel, so that will be a minimum of about $80. I'm guessing a car service will be very competitive and certainly much easier.

2). The best way to NYC will depend on which hotel you are staying in. Bus service to NY may be very good.

3). Price Cape Liberty transportation with Secaucus Taxi. You can take the train from Secaucus Junction to Hoboken and the light rail to Bayonne and a cab into the port, but this might not be much less than a car service for 4 people. The train is $2.75 and the light rail is $2.10. I don't know what the taxi to the train station should be, but the taxi from the light rail station into the port should be $4/pp plus tip. I have done the light rail from Hoboken to Bayonne and it was very easy. I think the Secaucus Junction to Hoboken piece should be easy as well.

It would be far easier to take public transportation if you were flying into JFK instead of LGA. There is a direct rail link, called AirTrain, to the LIRR and NYC Subway from JFK. From LGA you could possibly take a taxi to the Woodside LIRR station and take the train to Penn and connect to a NJT train to Secaucus Junction. Walking anywhere from the station at Secaucus Junction may also be problematic as there may or may not be sidewalks.

That's good to know! We haven't made plane reservations yet since we're using frequent flyer miles!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That changes the whole complexion of the advice we might give you. Your original post said you were flying into LGA on Oct 6. I gather from posts on other forums you have two older children traveling with you.

What hotel are you hoping to use points to book? You mentioned Secaucus, but quite often there are multiple choices for the same hotel brand.

Your Secaucus plan seems fine for now not knowing additional details. It's closer to NYC and even if you pay for a car service to get to the hotel, you will spend less in transportation costs over two days with 4 people. If you stay at a Newark Airport hotel, it will cost you $25/pp to go in and out of NYC for the day which is much more than you will pay from Secaucus.

We are staying at the Candlewood Suites in Secaucus. Got got rate and they have a shuttle to the train station less than a mile away,

Rick

That sounds good as well. Just check with the hotel about shuttle hours and how you get it to pick you up coming back.

I'm staying at Candlewood Suites in Jersey City in Sep for a wedding in NYC and am looking forward to checking it out.