The husband Factor - Off Topic

Jane110

momofmeg

I am not trying to hurt your feelings either but you seem to feed on being

critical of Jane. Because her idea of a sale and my idea of a sale are different doesn't make her less human or a snob.

Lois,

I think your idea of a sale and mine are not different at all. Here's how I see it:

Full retail - what we pay for things we really love and/or need as well as for items we know will not be going on sale.

30% off - A nice warm fuzzy feeling.

40% off - Warmer and fuzzier and feeling very good about our prowess.

50% off - Now we've really beat the system.

60% off - "Is this right or do I need glasses?" Can't be this marked down!

70% off - Hot flashes - is this what menopause feels like?

70% off and take another 25% off at the register - OHMYGAWD......I think I just died and went to heaven!!!!!

The full retail starting price makes no difference in our feelings.

We all shop at a level that's comfortable for us and that can change for various items and/or at different times in our lives.

I love hearing about your shopping conquests (as well as from others here) and hope you enjoy hearing about mine too! :)

Thanks for your kind words.

Jane

Jane

Thanks for explaining your view on 3/4 sleeves. Now, one more question: why don't you like broomstick skirts?

To all: Let's get off the hurtful comments and back to fun!!!!!!!

Esther

Esther,

I never said I didn't like broomstick skirts, did I? I like them and don't recall ever saying that I didn't. When did I say that?

Jane

Chevdiver,

Dont forget that Alison loves cookies from onboard ship. ;) It is the price you have to pay to ensure a good dive with her. I will be diving with her a couple of weeks later. As far as this topic, we are a single income family and self-employed in a seasonal business. So watching the $'s is important. If the DW needs something, then I have no problem with getting it most of the time. She did blackmail me on a R/C airplane I wanted, it ended up costing me a living room set.:eek:

Dave

Esther,

I never said I didn't like broomstick skirts, did I? I like them and don't recall ever saying that I didn't. When did I say that?

Jane

I'll be darned if I can find it now, but for some reason I thought you said you didn't like them in the same post as 3/4 sleeves. Hmmm, maybe my brain is getting fuzzy. Sorry. So, do you like them???????? Hehehe. If I can find the post, I'll let you know.

Esther

Debihen, I'm in the fashion business and like happysinglemom, I'm no slave to it! I don't own a broom skirt or any tops with 3/4 length sleeves and I absolutely hate the look of crop pants on anyone. I watch trends, partly because I enjoy it and partly because it's my business - but then I pick the choose the ones I like and forget the rest.

Jane

Here it is. I guess I misunderstood; when you said you don't own one, I just assumed you didn't like them. Boy, am I getting old--rarely do I read into something so badly. Or maybe I'm getting tired.

Esther

Lois,

I think your idea of a sale and mine are not different at all. Here's how I see it:

Full retail - what we pay for things we really love and/or need as well as for items we know will not be going on sale.

30% off - A nice warm fuzzy feeling.

40% off - Warmer and fuzzier and feeling very good about our prowess.

50% off - Now we've really beat the system.

60% off - "Is this right or do I need glasses?" Can't be this marked down!

70% off - Hot flashes - is this what menopause feels like?

70% off and take another 25% off at the register - OHMYGAWD......I think I just died and went to heaven!!!!!

The full retail starting price makes no difference in our feelings.

We all shop at a level that's comfortable for us and that can change for various items and/or at different times in our lives.

I love hearing about your shopping conquests (as well as from others here) and hope you enjoy hearing about mine too! :)

Thanks for your kind words.

Jane

I went to a sale today that was 50% off plus an additional 50% then 10% more before 10am! Is it just we true shoppers that take such pure pleasure in these things? I came home with a few bags of things and will end up keeping about one third, because the sale was limited to three hours and of course the fitting rooms were packed and I am a Loehmans girl so just tried on in the aisles, much to the amazement of those who obviously have no experience with communal dressing rooms! So of course got home and things did not fit quite the same without a layer of clothing underneath.

But, it was still such fun to score great stuff! I can't help myself.

I am practicing for NY in just a few weeks.

Debihen, I'm in the fashion business and like happysinglemom, I'm no slave to it! I don't own a broom skirt or any tops with 3/4 length sleeves and I absolutely hate the look of crop pants on anyone. I watch trends, partly because I enjoy it and partly because it's my business - but then I pick the choose the ones I like and forget the rest.

Jane

Here it is. I guess I misunderstood; when you said you don't own one, I just assumed you didn't like them. Boy, am I getting old--rarely do I read into something so badly. Or maybe I'm getting tired.

Esther

Esther,

I can see where the confusion came in. You may have remembered that I don't like 3/4 length sleeves and since my lack of broomstick skirt was in the same sentence you thought I didn't like them.

no biggie.

Jane

I went to a sale today that was 50% off plus an additional 50% then 10% more before 10am! Is it just we true shoppers that take such pure pleasure in these things? I came home with a few bags of things and will end up keeping about one third, because the sale was limited to three hours and of course the fitting rooms were packed and I am a Loehmans girl so just tried on in the aisles, much to the amazement of those who obviously have no experience with communal dressing rooms! So of course got home and things did not fit quite the same without a layer of clothing underneath.

But, it was still such fun to score great stuff! I can't help myself.

I am practicing for NY in just a few weeks.

So it sounds like they paid YOU to cart the stuff away before 10:00AM!!! LOL!!!

You HAVE to be alone for this kind of shopping marathon. NO man would go here!

You planning on hitting Loehman's or Century 21 when you get here? How about Woodbury Commons, the mecca of all shopping?

So it sounds like they paid YOU to cart the stuff away before 10:00AM!!! LOL!!!

You HAVE to be alone for this kind of shopping marathon. NO man would go here!

You planning on hitting Loehman's or Century 21 when you get here? How about Woodbury Commons, the mecca of all shopping?

Definitely Loehmans and Century 21. Maybe Sims because even though I usually find nothing, I still have pair of Armani tuxedo pants I bought there 10 years ago for less than a hundred dollars.

And the sale racks at Saks and Bloomies.

Can't wait! Just 4 weeks.

We both work and we both spend our own money. He buys his own clothes, I buy clothes for him. He never buys me clothers. He never purposely shops sales, I LOVE sales. I buy all my own clothes, and usually plan and pay for the trip. He handles the day to day stuff like house etc.

I do buy all the presents for his family (his 4 kids and our parents, sisters, brothers-in-law and nieces and newphews)....but I do try to do a lot of the shopping when I am away travelling (the only time I really get to shop). I keep shelves in my closet with present sections for the kids, so when I see something I buy it and they either get it for their birthday or Christmas.

He never complains about what I spend because I pay for it.

I usually show him everything I bring in (except presents for him) and ask his opinion (which is usually, "hmm, that's nice"...(read, not really paying attention!:rolleyes: )

But he does buy me shoes!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful shoes. When we are travelling we do go shopping together. He helps find and pick out shoes. When he goes to NYC for biz he goes to my favourite store in the entire world, Manolo Blahnik. He goes to see my sales clerk (Divinia, who ladies is fabulous) and she shows him shoes that she thinks I will like and more importantly, she tells him what size I would be (Manolos are a little silly that way, it's not like my normal size 7). He has surprised me at Christmas with shoes that he bought and brought back.

He also buys jewelry as the default Christmas present (trust me I'm not complaining).

So in the grand scheme of things, he is a pretty wonderful guy! Now if I could just get him to do more of the Christmas wrapping! :D

Elin

Beautiful shoes. When we are travelling we do go shopping together. He helps find and pick out shoes. When he goes to NYC for biz he goes to my favourite store in the entire world, Manolo Blahnik. He goes to see my sales clerk (Divinia, who ladies is fabulous) and she shows him shoes that she thinks I will like and more importantly, she tells him what size I would be...

Wow - there really ARE husbands that do that? Dang. Guess I need to keep looking. :p

You are one lucky gal!

Trust me single gal, there are always some downsides!

(Did I mention he has 4 kids from his first marriage, 10, 13, 15 (boy) and 17, the other 3 are girls.....2 of them being "teenagers" and one about to start! YIKES!!!)

Calgon, take me away! :D

e

Elin,

Well he obviously realizes that 1 pair of Manolo's or one piece of jewelry per child, per year is appropos!!! LOL!!!

How great that you DH has a personal Manolo sales person. The sales people in the Jimmy Choo store are also very nice....he might like to know that!

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Jane

Archived