Question about CDC requirements for Explorer's ports

wezie

So someone on here posted something about there being malaria in Labadee, Haiti and not being able to donate blood for a year or something like that. So, I looked it up and then a couple other things came up too. Hepatitis A and Typhoid and getting medicine or vaccines for them to as well as malaria. Has anyone done this? :confused:

There is no outbreak of Malaria on Labadee. Get your facts straight. The blood donation rule has been around since 1980, it is not new. The thread was just talking about not being able to donate for a year after visiting certain countries. The same rule applies to many European countries also. If you are worried about contracting a disease do not go on a vacation that visits different countries. Hepatitis A is a foodbourne virus and it is common in the US also.

Thanks, Dacsmom. You are a true gem. Why don’t you go and visit CDC.gov before offering advice and maybe you will learn a thing or two. I’m concerned because I have a low immune system due to a kidney transplant and when I read the blog it alerted me. I don’t understand why there are people like you on this site answering questions and concerns. You sound a bit condescending. I guess maybe it’s because you don’t have a life… I think that’s a fair shot of getting my facts straight.

Thank you Sweetpea and Voyager for your answers...I appreciate it!

There is malaria in Haiti just like most Caribbean countries. Labadee has taken care of most threats plus malaria Mosquitos are out at Dawn and dusk when everyone is still on the ship. We lived in Haiti for 8 years didn't take any meds bit had screens on our house. Though when we take groups to Haiti we have everyone speak with their mds which is what I would suggest to op. Haiti isn't the only Caribbean country you can't give blood. It's most countries. DH has a Rae type of blood and would donate all the time but can't in last 10 years as we cruise every year

Weizie, have you spoken to your provider yet to find out what s/he would recommend for immunizations for you when you travel? Blogs are not really helpful for getting the facts, where your medical provider and the CDC are. There are usual precautions for everyone to take, such as hand washing, using bug repellant and avoiding fruits, vegetables and untreated water in certain countries. Labadee, although part of Haiti, is a controlled environment as others have mentioned as all food and drink are supplied by the cruise line. The odds of you getting bitten by a disease carrying mosquito on a one day trip in any country is no greater than getting EEE in New England. There is a Hep A vaccine that actually is a routine vaccine in several US states because of the prevalence of the disease in southern border states. You and your provider can discuss whethr your degree of immunosuppressive makes it safe for you to travel. You are at greater risk from your fellow travelers, especially if you fly, than you are of contacting rare diseases. You will not need prophylaxis against malaria while on a cruise.

(And yes, I know what I am talking about as I practice medicine for a living)

There is no outbreak of Malaria on Labadee. Get your facts straight. The blood donation rule has been around since 1980, it is not new. The thread was just talking about not being able to donate for a year after visiting certain countries. The same rule applies to many European countries also. If you are worried about contracting a disease do not go on a vacation that visits different countries. Hepatitis A is a foodbourne virus and it is common in the US also.

Get YOUR facts straight.... The CDC does recommend preventative Malaria treatment before visiting Haiti for most traveler. Last time I checked, that's where Labadee is. But I understand that you're probably smarter than a few CDC docs, right? :rolleyes:

I understand the OP's concern, due to having a compromised immune system from a kidney transplant. I'm guessing that visiting a port for only a day means you're at very little risk.... that's probably why the cruise lines don't require it.

I would double check with your Nephrologist, or at the very least, your primary care physician.

Thanks Everyone! I do plan on speaking with my nephrologist when I see her in a couple weeks. I just thought I could get some info. beforehand. I have been on many cruises in the past and really never gave it a second thought until I saw that other post about donating blood the other day. Then as I looked further into it, I started having more questions...

I really do appreciate all the info and feedback.

The CDC's recommendation is for the main part of Haiti. Labadee takes great pains to limit the malarial risk. I would guess less than 1% of passengers to Labadee have gotten a malaria treatment before going and yet we've never heard of an issue. Malaria is a risk in any of the islands.