What would you do differently?

elisabethr_21

My husband and I are getting ready for our 3rd cruise in May, the first being our honeymoon and second with our son and DH's sister a few years ago. While we are gearing up for our upcoming trip, I keep thinking about things I will do differently this go around. What will YOU do different on your next trip?

Here's a start to my list:

1) Go to the muster drill. Somehow we skipped out on it both trips before and managed to not get kicked off of the boat. Not risking it again.

2) Tip room service. I knew about the included gratuities but (not having been on CC) didn't realize you were supposed to tip room service. Now I feel like a cheap tourist and hope they never spit in my food ;)

3) Visit the straw market in Nassau. Our first cruise stopped in Nassau, but we were so consumed with planning our wedding that I never researched things to see and totally missed this.

4) See a show onboard. We skipped all the shows so we could party a little more both previous trips. Guess it's time to see what all the fuss is about :o

If you were on RCI you would not have been able to skip muster. It is mandatory with them and they check everyone's SeaPass to assure attendance. They hold the ship's departure until participation and muster completion is verified.

I realize you are kidding but I highly doubt anyone would spit in your food because you failed to tip room service - the ship staff has far more class than that.

The shows are worth seeing at least once so that you know what they are all about, so maybe take the time to see a few next time around.

What we do differently now is to cruise far more relaxed and without an agenda compared to our earlier years of cruising. We have seen more than our fair share of shows and probably skip more than we go to. We do my time dining now and go to more different of the specialty dining venues than the main dining room and worry less about dining there. We will skip a restaurant altogether and eat in the buffet or other quick venue.

We rarely if ever take ship tours preferring to go on our own in the ports of call or stay on the ship and enjoy the quiet. We are much more into meeting new people and spending time with them at beaches or local dining venues in port and relaxing over drinks and not worrying about which activity is next to do on board.

So I guess in many ways we've come full circle and cruise now with less in mind to do than with our early cruises where we felt the need to do everything.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I'm also going on my third cruise this summer. I agree with your #2 as I too only just read CC and realized I should have been tipping room service. My first cruise I didn't know it was complimentary so never ordered it. Unlike you though, I never missed a show did one twice, a comedian after he promised new material (that didn't happen) As far a differently, the fact I'll be on my 3rd cruise line is one thing I'm doing. Rather than stick to one, I'm hoping to check them all our then pick a favorite or 2. I plan to board as early as possible and start my cruise right away.I'll continue to take the stairs and work out so I can enjoy the menus without guilt. (DIDN'T GAIN LBS ON MY FIRST 2!) I look forward to reading the other tips!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

Take half the clothes you think you need.

Bring a copy of Emily Post's Etiquette along and read it on the plane so it's fresh in your memory.

When your waiter asks "How is your meal", your answer should be "You fixed it just the way I like it"! :D

Edited by bar_20

I am curious as to why this is posted in the First Time Cruisers forum. This is not the OP's first cruise, and first-timers would not have great advice on the subject. . .?

I meant to post in another forum, then couldn't figure out how to delete this one...

But am still getting some great ideas on what to do/not do on our next trip!

Maybe just relax more is the best idea. I just don't want to miss anything! :)

Ah. Well, no matter, it is helpful to us newbies, anyway. :).

I meant to post in another forum, then couldn't figure out how to delete this one...

But am still getting some great ideas on what to do/not do on our next trip!

Maybe just relax more is the best idea. I just don't want to miss anything! :)