Cruising without my wife....need gift ideas

BJDownUnder

Hi All, so I'm about to take cruise with my very senior father....we flying from Austraila to do NCL Jewell and then Vegas.....you could say a once in a life time boys vacation together....but I'm leaving my wonderful, very understanding wife behind to look after our daughter.

As you might imagine my brownie point bank balance will be majorly in negative after our trip - So I need some great ideas for in expensive gift(s) that I can bring her back to

Any idea welcome

On our last cruise, DH bought me a beautiful diamond eternity band for my right hand in St. Thomas at one of the ship-recommended jewelers (I think it was Ballerina Jewelers) and I LOVE it. Or, while you are in Vegas, they will have all of the luxury retailers, so you could do a Gucci handbag or something like that, but it certainly won't be tax free like jewelry from the Caribbean portion of the trip! :-)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Jewelry is almost always great. And, easy to travel with it. Skip getting a new chair - LOL!

I would consider Vegas. No matter where you stay, there are lots of shopping options. Some luxury, some reasonable.

#1 suggestion is to buy it the FIRST day in Vegas while you have money.

For more information about vegas, visit vegasmessageboard dot com

How about a nice expensive watch, a future cruise reward, and a note that her time will come ....and that you are taking her and your daughter on the next cruise. :)

Great idea. I was thinking along these lines but Tequila hit the nail on the head!

You can use the cruise reward to hold a cruise up to something like 4 years out. Think of the glorious anticipation!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are looking for inexpensive gifts, why not make an appointment for your wife to have a spa treatment at home wile you are away. Perhaps pedicures with your daughter. Having someone plan something thoughtful oftens means more than the gift itself.

In terms of gifts to bring back, again I would look for thoughtful things that remind you of her. For example, if she's a baker, and you are in Mexico, perhaps vanilla beans or real vanilla extract. Something like that. Of course expensive items are always nice, but I think the things that are given thoughtfully are the things most remembered.

As an aside, I'm sure your wife is happy that you are traveling with your dad. There really is no substitution for time spent together. Make sure you get a ship photo together.

Bon Voyage!

How about a nice expensive watch, a future cruise reward, and a note that her time will come ....and that you are taking her and your daughter on the next cruise. :)

I love this idea! The watch doesn't even have to be 'expensive' if it's an everyday watch she'll wear. And the next time the 'kids sale free' is offered.....book that cruise with your FCC!

Harriet

I agree with what funredhead said.

It depends really on your wife....does she like jewelry? If she doesn't really wear jewelry I wouldn't waste money on that...does she like designer clothing/accessories? If not don't waste the money there....I'd want something more meaningful than a purse or jewelry, but that's just me..you know your wife better than any of us so only you would know what she likes :)

I agree with what funredhead said.

It depends really on your wife....does she like jewelry? If she doesn't really wear jewelry I wouldn't waste money on that...does she like designer clothing/accessories? If not don't waste the money there....I'd want something more meaningful than a purse or jewelry, but that's just me..you know your wife better than any of us so only you would know what she likes :)

I agree. I can buy that stuff, if I want it. The fact that DH pays at the time doesn't make a difference to me. I prefer gifts that he has obviously put thought into. An exception would be a piece of jewelry, etc. that she had always wanted, but wouldn't spend the money on herself. The fact that she isn't with him makes it truly from him as opposed to him just paying for something she chose in a store.

The cruise idea is a good one. It would be even more meaningful, if he actually booked a cruise rather than giving her the equivalent of an IOU. :p The idea to surprise her with special experiences you've booked & paid for that they can share, while you're away, is a great one. How about surprising her with a fun, weekend getaway to a nearby attraction? You could plan it for the middle of your trip, so it won't feel like you've been gone as long? If you plan surprises for them at home, a couple small souvenirs will be enough. Just don't go home with nothing. :eek:

whatever you do, don't get her anything cruise ship related. Every time she looked at it she would remember that you cruised and she didn't. :)

sounds like you know this from personal experience?

OP indicated he wanted inexpensive

My DH went on a trip without me under similar circumstances. At each stop he purchased an inexpensive trinket..there is a paperweight, a keychain, a small vase, several little statues, a mask...that he said reminded him of an aspect of our courtship. He penned a small note with each one. When he returned after 20 days, he had them all wrapped and in order. It was a wonderful and fun way to share the journey with him (the last with a loved one) , easy to pack and carry, and had more impact than if he had bought me a new Tag.

This was 20 years ago and the lovingly-selected, very personal, sometimes slightly cheesy-yet affordable trinkets adorn a shelf in my office.

Nora

Edited by DrNora

If it were me I would love a special day with my daughter, coupled with having someone else clean my house. As far as souvenirs I would want something I can't get at home, like the vanilla or some local coffee.

Not being a jewelry person that would not matter, even though I did ask DH for a mother/child cameo necklace when our first was born. He did not get me one. It is something I would never buy myself and now my kids are grown and it is too late...

Is there something she has wanted in that department?

OP indicated he wanted inexpensive

My DH went on a trip without me under similar circumstances. At each stop he purchased an inexpensive trinket..there is a paperweight, a keychain, a small vase, several little statues, a mask...that he said reminded him of an aspect of our courtship. He penned a small note with each one. When he returned after 20 days, he had them all wrapped and in order. It was a wonderful and fun way to share the journey with him (the last with a loved one) , easy to pack and carry, and had more impact than if he had bought me a new Tag.

This was 20 years ago and the lovingly-selected, very personal, sometimes slightly cheesy-yet affordable trinkets adorn a shelf in my office.

Nora

I like the idea of small gifts. If OP has internet onboard he can send her sweet emails every day and mailing post cards from various stops will go a long way too.

Thoughtful gifts and messages are so much better than just throwing money at something.

Arrange for a delivery every day you are gone. Flowers one day, chocolates the next, singing telegram about how much you miss her, flowers and balloons the next, spa basket, wine and cheese tray. . . Get the picture? She will know she is thought about every day and will anxiously await what comes the next, making the time go quicker.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

thanks everybody for all your advice....lots to think about....I think I will do a combination of some of your ideas....book in a pamper treatment for her while Im away....gifts/post cards etc etc

Really appreciate all your kind and thoughtful input

Hi All, so I'm about to take cruise with my very senior father....we flying from Austraila to do NCL Jewell and then Vegas.....you could say a once in a life time boys vacation together....but I'm leaving my wonderful, very understanding wife behind to look after our daughter.

As you might imagine my brownie point bank balance will be majorly in negative after our trip - So I need some great ideas for in expensive gift(s) that I can bring her back to

Any idea welcome

Anything you bring her will be nice. But what makes me feel loved is when people remembered to buy my kids' something.

So, your father doesnt like your wife and his grand daughter??? I don't get it, and don't need to do so.

no not at all....were attending the Ford Mustang 50th Anniversary Celebrations in Las Vegas after our cruise....wife isnt into cars...etc etc