Freestyle cruising?

NOSaints1

No real dress code except for in one of the main dinning rooms and also le bistro, the French restaurant. Dress code there is long pants for men, no sandals or ripped jeans/shorts...

It just so happen that I was on cc, while I was watching mighty ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Love mighty ships! Lol

From ncl.com

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain.

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise.

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly.

What's is freestyle cruising, we've only sailed on Carnival. So can you explain the difference between freestyle cruising and what the other cruise lines offered?

Very simple.

On the other lines you are told where to eat, you are told when to eat, you are told who will sit with you, and you will be told what to wear.

With Freestyle Cruising, you are not told...YOU get to make all of those decisions yourself.

Just like you do each and every day of your life.

• 2 weeks later...
What's is freestyle cruising, we've only sailed on Carnival. So can you explain the difference between freestyle cruising and what the other cruise lines offered?

All that it really means is free style dining? Which, except for dress code you can get on most cruise lines including CCL.

When it was introduced, freestyle had the following innovating changes:

1. No set dining. Now other lines have copied My Time or Any Time Dining. The difference on NCL is there is no traditional.

2. Lots of dining choices. Most ships 1-2 extra charge restaurants. NCL has 5-6.

3. No dress code. It's all casual all the time but since freestyle means you are free to do what you want, you can dress up if you like.

4. You pick your embarkation time. Instead of the luggage tags being sent to your cabin, you go to the atrium & pick your own time / color. N.B. The earliest times go fast.

Freestyle is the freedom to eat where you want when you want, for the most part. If you want to eat at one of the MDR's you'll be able to pretty much walk in anytime its open and get fed. Note: the MDR is open on embarkation day for lunch which is nice. There might be a small wait for a table but on my one and only NCL cruise it was pretty much walk right in. If you want to eat at one of the specialty restaurants then you're advised to make a reservation. On our upcoming Sky cruise we want to eat at Cagney's and then the Italian restaurant so we'll book those as soon as we board so we can get a time we want. The dress code is resort casual but feel free to dress up if you want. I wasn't sure I would like Freestyle but they say a change is as good as a rest and in this case it is. Its nice to try something different.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

All that it really means is free style dining? Which, except for dress code you can get on most cruise lines including CCL.

I will add that NCL introduced the concept to mainstream cruising, and the reason it is now available on the other lines is they needed to try to counter NCL so they could retain their market share.

NCL proved it was very popular and the others tried to copy the idea. Some lines did it pretty well, and others haven't.

Freestyle is just like the other lines that have an open dining choice (which I think they all have now) the difference, that is all NCL offers, plus the dress code on NCL is about as relaxed as you can get. This is one reason NCL is our cruise line of choice. That and the perks of being platinum.

If you did the Anytime dining on Carnival then there is nothing really different about NCL Freestyle. When first introduced it was a new concept, but it is not about the same across all lines. Main difference is no real formal night, other then that it is the same as carnival with Anytime dining.

6&8

4. You pick your embarkation time. Instead of the luggage tags being sent to your cabin, you go to the atrium & pick your own time / color. N.B. The earliest times go fast.

That should say disembarkation time. Morning caffeine hadn't kicked in yet when I posted my answer. :o

If you did the Anytime dining on Carnival then there is nothing really different about NCL Freestyle. When first introduced it was a new concept, but it is not about the same across all lines. Main difference is no real formal night, other then that it is the same as carnival with Anytime dining.

Freestyle is just like the other lines that have an open dining choice (which I think they all have now) the difference, that is all NCL offers, plus the dress code on NCL is about as relaxed as you can get. This is one reason NCL is our cruise line of choice. That and the perks of being platinum.

These are the most accurate, unbiased answers in this thread. On one hand NCL has the advantage of being more casual but on the other hand, since there is no other option other than Freestyle, optimum dining times can result in a long wait for a table. Carnival, and the other lines, restrict how many people can sign up for Anytime Dining, so you're not as likely to be handed a pager.

These are the most accurate, unbiased answers in this thread. On one hand NCL has the advantage of being more casual but on the other hand, since there is no other option other than Freestyle, optimum dining times can result in a long wait for a table. Carnival, and the other lines, restrict how many people can sign up for Anytime Dining, so you're not as likely to be handed a pager.

last I heard Celebrity did the same. Princess is like NCL, no limit, but they also do have a MDR that is designed for assigned seating for a couple of hours each night. We have been very lucky with NCL. Even when with a group of 11, we only waited a few minutes and we usually choose to eat about 7pm. One time we were handed the beeper, told it would be about 1/2 hour (there were 4 of us) and advised the bar would give us 20% off our drinks for the inconvenience. Well, fine with us, we would have headed that direction anyway. As it turned out we barely ordered drinks before the buzzer went off. We also waited one time on Princess, but it was the first night and everything was a bit confusing for many. it is important for everyone to realize there are pay backs. I think the secret is, not to try to early, because some of those who enjoy the early show and are accustom to eating early shot for 6pm. Stay away from the late eaters who have already seen the first show. That is why 6:30 to 7 seems to work so well for us. It still gives us plenty of time to make the late show.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Regarding the dress code and the lack of a formal night on NCL, honestly, these days, it seems there's no dress code anywhere anymore, at least not on NCL, RC, Disney or Carnival. I've seen shorts and T shirt in the main dining room on formal night many times, even though they are supposed to get denied. Even on NCL men are supposed to be resort/cruise casual, which means collared shirt and slacks or "dress shorts".

Never have understood "dress shorts". I would assume it's just like any kind of shorts with pockets (khaki or other coloured) as opposed to gym shorts. Even so, on my recent cruise I saw men in main dining rooms in T shirt and gym shorts more than once on port days.

Even on NCL men are supposed to be resort/cruise casual, which means collared shirt and slacks or "dress shorts".

Collared shirts are only required in Le Bistro & one main dining room (usually the aft). We have had a few experiences while waiting to dine at the casual dining room that they sent us to the more formal dining room when we were not dressed appropriately. They sometimes do it at peak times when more people are choosing the casual route.