NCL Breakaway vs RCCL Grandeur

William W

I'm sort of in a dilemma between going on NCL Breakaway vs the RCCL Grandeur.

We are currently book on the Grandeur in 2 category M for a 7 nights Bahamas sailing during the last week of August. And with the NCL Kids Sail Free option, I can do a 7 nights Bermuda cruise on the much bigger and much newer Breakaway. However, the 4 of us will be staying in 1 interior guarantee for the same price. The kids are 7 and 1.

I have been always want to do Bermuda as I have never been there. And I have been to the Bahamas and the Caribbean multiple times, in fact, we would be doing a Freedom of the Seas cruise in December this year.

We were on the NCL Dawn this past December, and I would not say we hate it. But we enjoy RCCL more. It seems the buffet on the Dawn had limited selection, and the quality of the ingredient at the complimentary restaurants seems to be lacking, portion are also smaller, and the waiting staff at the restaurants seems to be indifferent as compare to my previous experience on RCCL. We usually only dine at the complimentary venues.

As they are price similar, the questions really boils down:

-2 inside vs 1 inside cabin

-Bermuda in May vs Bahamas in August

-As I enjoyed RCCL's Vision Class more than the NCL Dawn, is the Breakaway services and food quality superior as compare to the NCL Dawn?

Any feedbacks will be much appreciated.

Having taken many cruises, mostly RCCL and Norwegian, for me it's the newer ship on ANY line. The food and entertainment will be superior on the Breakaway, especially in the up charge venues. NCL is good about upgrading. I'm taking the Getaway on 4/12 and the price of my studio has decreased so much that I'm now in a balcony ! So, I'd take the Breakaway and keep checking the price.

I'm sort of in a dilemma between going on NCL Breakaway vs the RCCL Grandeur.

We are currently book on the Grandeur in 2 category M for a 7 nights Bahamas sailing during the last week of August. And with the NCL Kids Sail Free option, I can do a 7 nights Bermuda cruise on the much bigger and much newer Breakaway. However, the 4 of us will be staying in 1 interior guarantee for the same price. The kids are 7 and 1.

I have been always want to do Bermuda as I have never been there. And I have been to the Bahamas and the Caribbean multiple times, in fact, we would be doing a Freedom of the Seas cruise in December this year.

We were on the NCL Dawn this past December, and I would not say we hate it. But we enjoy RCCL more. It seems the buffet on the Dawn had limited selection, and the quality of the ingredient at the complimentary restaurants seems to be lacking, portion are also smaller, and the waiting staff at the restaurants seems to be indifferent as compare to my previous experience on RCCL. We usually only dine at the complimentary venues.

As they are price similar, the questions really boils down:

-2 inside vs 1 inside cabin

-Bermuda in May vs Bahamas in August

-As I enjoyed RCCL's Vision Class more than the NCL Dawn, is the Breakaway services and food quality superior as compare to the NCL Dawn?

Any feedbacks will be much appreciated.

I will start by saying that Grandeur is my favorite ship. Mbeen on her 7 times.

Your children may be very bored!, I can no longer comment on the kids clubs, but they are small, and there are no cute Sponge Bob pools, characters or the like. She is a charming ship and has had a lovely renovation.

The Bahamas cruise in August was a great time except thenPort Canaveral stop is a waste IMHO . Had a blast at coco cay, perfect for kids , especially if you can get a cabana!,,, Nassau- we took a cab to the Sheraton and had a room for 100 dollars all day, full beach access, etc. then we did the Pirate museum and some shopping.

Bermuda will cost a bit more than the ,ports on Grandeur, it seems to be rather steep. But going in Mayk, Breakaway may not be as pacKed as we read about during spring and summer break, and there is hands-down much more to do on board. But your space will be limited to the one interior.

Phew! What a predicament!

The food on Grandeur was without question the absolute best that we have had on any cruise ever. We hitit right after the new menus came out and it was amazing.

Geez- I started out convinced that I would tell you to go Breakaway, but I have many trips of awesome memories on my favorite lady Grandeur. Especially coco cay with the kids.

We have only done the Pearl,Jewel,gem!jade and found the food to be great, but it has been 4 years. Our last 6 have been Royal and the food has been good, withng

grandeur topping Freedom for tastiness..

Back to breakaway

You have an interior guarantee- does that mean that you could get upgraded to an ov or balcony if there is space?

If you have always wanted to,do Bermuda and can live with the confines of the one room, I would try something new. The food seems to get pretty good reviews, and now they are taking reservations in the MDRS . There was a thread about this yesterday.

What a nice dilemma to,have! Cannot wait to see what you choose,

Bermuda is, by far, the superior port. Certainly a bit more expensive, but it's cleaner, easier to get around, has fewer locals getting in your face to sell you their "handmade" souvenirs, and filled with many more interesting, historical places to visit. The weather in Bermuda is also fantastic in May. Plenty of sun, but not oppressively hot. I felt like I was going to die visiting Nassau in August. The heat and humidity just suck the life out of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 years later...

i know this is an old thread but i had to ask :

leaving out of baltimore would be great for me but i see a 5 nite stay in a similar room to my breakaway mini suite MA is about the same cost. so it seems like royal is a bit more expensive. so my generally feeling is the BA would be a far superior experience for me as a first timer

i cant imagine me changing my october BA trip but i had to do some more research as i will only cruise from ports near me. and only 5 days to bermuda seems like a tad of a rip off lol.

i do wish NCL didnt get rid of sponge bob though..sigh