Inner Tubing & Dunns River Falls...has anyone done this??? thoughts?

wagsit

A friend and I took this excursion about 2 years ago now. It was our first trip to Jamaica and we decided to do a ship sponsored tour. We had heard bad stories of what lurks "beyond the gates." Anyway, we really enjoyed the tour and would look to do something similar if we end up going back.

Tip 1: Make sure you ride "Shotgun" The view is always better out the front of the van than the side.

The ride to the other side of the island was longer than expected (45min-1hr) but it seemed that any excursion to Montego Bay or Ochos Rios would have the same issue. You get a narrated tour, so the more they talk the shorter the ride seemed.

Tip 2: Bring a waterproof camera. (I wish I would have).

The river tubing was quite fun. Think of a lazy river set in a beautiful tropical forest. You end up floating to where the river meets the ocean and right where the lunch is served. The lunch was provided at a hotel (buffet style) out on the patio overlooking the ocean. By far, the best excursion lunch I've ever had. Plenty of food and a good variety of local dishes.

Tip 3 Make sure you wear water shoes. Otherwise you'll have to rent some @ Dunn's.

After lunch, we re-boarded the van and headed to DRF. I had actually never been to Dunns before and would definitely put it on anyones Must Do List at least once while in Jamacia. The climb up the falls was longer than I though it would be, but not overly difficult (but I could see others having a hard time).

The hard part comes in with their self made buddy system. They try to make everyone hold hands going up. This assumes that if you were falling the other person could hold you up. However, this often works against you if the other person is clumsy and constantly dragging you down. Anyway, I found it easier to go the the back of the line and climb up by myself.

After the climb, you exit through a typical shopping area. What's the use of having a great attraction without dumping everyone into a gift shop at the end. The vendors were certainly all ask, but I wouldn't considering them pushy. After all, they are in the sales business. Anyway, Just keep your head low and politely decline the offers. No sense in holding up the entire bus ride for junk you can likely find on the next island.

Lastly, you board the bus to relive the 45min-1hr ride back to Falmouth.

We went a few years ago and we used peat taylor. It was excellent. He picked us up at the pier and we went to the falls. When that was over he took us on a tour and we stopped at a schoolhouse. We had brought glue sticks, coloring books, crayons, and a bunch of other items for the kids cause he told us we could stop there if we like. The kids were so cute and kept saying "hello tourists and thank you so much tourists" he then took us to the white river and we grabbed our tubes and had a relaxing ride down the river. Then he takes you back to the dock. It was a great excursion.

One year ago we used the ship tour. Started with catamarans. Then snorkeling which was amazing then docked at dunns for the hike up the falls. Was a lot so fun. They took tons of photos with my waterproof camera and totally avoided the shopping area at the top. Very pleased with the tour through rccl. Plenty of time at the pier to shop afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the ships tour for this and it was good. As others have mentioned it is about an hours drive from the port. Our group did the falls first - it was beautiful and well worth it. One down sides that your group has to stay together (literally all holding hands) so it can be difficult if you have children or timid adults in your group.

We then went on to the river tubing, which was followed by lunch at a hotel buffet. Overall it was well worth the cost and as it was our first time in Jamaica we felt more confident using a ships tour than a private arrangement.

We just did this last week. Used Courtney Taylor tours and it was great. Google Courtney Taylor Jamaica to find hid website.

So easy to book and only a $21 deposit through paypal that was fully refundable up until 24 hours prior. You paid the rest of the fees direct to the attractions that you went to and to your driver. There were 4 of us with our own private driver for the day.

He will allow you to customize your tour as well.

We will definitely use him again next tine we are in Jamaica.

Buying water shoes at Wal Mart is cheaper than the rental that they charge.

We did these both recently - had a spectacular day. We booked Noel "Steve" Smith(noelsmith66@yahoo.com) for the day -worth every penny! We did the tubing first. Nice relaxing float most of the way with tiny rapids - just enough to be fun, but not scary.

Then Steve took us to the Falls. We arrived just as all the massive tour buses were leaving. This is definitely the best benefit of traveling with a private tour for the day. We climbed the falls with no guide - so much fun. There were no crowds and our kids were able to play and I had lots of time to take plenty of pictures. If you read reviews of the falls - the biggest complaint is the crowds. I HIGHLY recommend spending just a little more and going with Steve. He is great - you will have a memorable day.

On the way back, we stopped at Scotchies for Jerk chicken and pork - very yummy!

We used Marvyn's Paradise Tours and did tubing and the Falls in early March, and it was the best day of the cruise. The tubing was fun and peaceful with crystal clear water in the river. Our guides sang as we floated, and we enjoyed it so much. Be sure to bring your water shoes and a waterproof camera. After tubing we went to the falls. Part of our group decided to climb and others just enjoyed the beauty of the falls. You do have to exit through a shopping area as you leave the falls. We said no to the vendors and kept walking. If I were back in Jamaica, I would certainly consider repeating this tour because the day was wonderful.:)

Just looking for an excursion in Jamaica..this looked good..just wondering if anyone has done it...and if not what river tubing trip did you like?

We have gone River Tubing on the White River, climbed up Dunns River Falls and explored the Blue Hole with Peat Taylor Tours.

For more information and to see photos about these excursions, I have attached the links to my River Tubing and Dunns River Falls reviews and YouTube videos.

River Tubing on the White River

Review:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g147312-d1390584-r179264227-Calypso_Rafting-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html

Video:

Dunns River Falls

Review:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g147312-d4339935-r179490738-Dunns_River_Falls-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html

Video:

Have a couple questions about tubing logistics :)

1. How long does the tubing take? Some places mention an hour or so. One person on TripAdvisor said it was $25 and only 30 minutes of tubing :confused:

2. Is all the tubing on the White River? Is this close to both Dunns River and the Blue Hole? I didn't realize all these things are close to each other?

We have booked a private guide for our group of 7. We are tentatively going to do tubing, lunch somewhere, and a beach stop. Thanks for any help!

Have a couple questions about tubing logistics :)

1. How long does the tubing take? Some places mention an hour or so. One person on TripAdvisor said it was $25 and only 30 minutes of tubing :confused:

2. Is all the tubing on the White River? Is this close to both Dunns River and the Blue Hole? I didn't realize all these things are close to each other?

We have booked a private guide for our group of 7. We are tentatively going to do tubing, lunch somewhere, and a beach stop. Thanks for any help!

1. We spent 1 1/2 hours tubing on the White River. The tubing outfit was called Calypso Rafting. I believe the tubing cost was $25/person, but we did not need to pay for this directly as our guide from Peat Taylor Tours took care of this.

2. Yes, the tubing on the White River is close to Dunns River Falls and the Blue Hole.

If you like adventure, then the Blue Hole is definitely not to be missed.

If you are interested, check out my review with photos and Youtube video of our time at the Blue Hole.

(I already posted my review and Youtube link for Dunns River Falls and River Tubing in post #13).

Review:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g147312-d1997485-r176527386-Blue_Hole-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html

Video:

For an authentic jerk Jamaican eating experience, Scotchies is a great "outdoorsy"- type of restaurant to stop at. Here the jerk chicken and pork are grilled and smoked over logs. We stopped here and had 1/4 chicken with festival to go. Not only was the price very reasonable, but the food was very moist and tasty too!

Any other questions, just ask!

Thanks for the tubing info -- very helpful. Yes, have EXTENSIVELY read about the blue hole and discounted it for our group.

Would really have preferred a snorkel excursion but can't find any except for the one from the ship. I think we will have a great day tubing, lunch, and to the beach with our guide tho :)

Tubing, Blue Hole and Dunn's River are the top things to consider when visiting Jamaica.. We did these excursions through Jamaica Irie Tours.com and paid $ 25 tubing, Bhole $15 and falls $20pp. plus $20 extra for transportation.. We had so much fun and wound do this in a heartbeat.:D