Cabin confusion for HAL newby

sayaguru

Hi, I'm a bit confused by the cabins on HAL.

On other ships there are Inside, Oceanview and Balcony.

When I look then up there are Inside, Oceanview, Lanai staterooms (so this would be a balcony?) The what is Verandah? A better balcony or a suite?

Sorry for the stupid questions.

I've never travelled on HAL but I must say I'm impressed by the cabins (ging by the photos). I've stayed in some pretty tiny cabins.I've never seen a lounge in an interior cabin.

I'm looking at Eurodam if that makes a difference.

Might be time to change crise liners.:D

Thanks

Edited by sayaguru

In my opinion HAL has pretty generous cabins compared to some cruiselines.

A Lanai cabin is a cabin on the promenade deck that has a sliding door outside to the public deck. You also have 2 deckchairs outside your cabin solely for your use.

I think I am right in saying a verandah stateroom is balcony room and a verandah suite is a suite of some form. Hopefully an expert can give a better description.

I'm looking at Eurodam if that makes a difference.

Then you can stop worrying about a Lanai, as that ship doesn't have them. :)

A Verandah is a balcony room, and a "suite" is just a larger balcony room.

Edited by jtl513

In my opinion HAL has pretty generous cabins compared to some cruiselines.

A Lanai cabin is a cabin on the promenade deck that has a sliding door outside to the public deck. You also have 2 deckchairs outside your cabin solely for your use.

I think I am right in saying a verandah stateroom is balcony room and a verandah suite is a suite of some form. Hopefully an expert can give a better description.

A Lanai cabin never heard of one sounds pretty cool to me.Althou I would assume that there is not much privacy when you are sitting out side your cabin.I also like the idea of resturaunts being on the promenade deck with outside sitting:)

A Lanai cabin never heard of one sounds pretty cool to me.

Lower Promenade outside cabins on the Veendam, Rotterdam, and Maasdam were converted to Lanai cabins. Sitting outside your cabin is no different than sitting outside on the promenade deck of any other ship, with the exception that there are two reserved loungers.

You can get a very good idea of HAL's accommodations by utilizing the deck plans with cabin explanations on HAL's website. At the top of the opening page there is a heading "Onboard Our Ships". This will help.:):)

Thanks everyone.

New dilemma.

I just got an Email from my agenrt and the category is VH verandah.

Now I'm not comlaining as it is very cheap but I see they are the front 4 cabins under the theatre and the swell is pretty bad. People say they are noisy BUT there is a VERY good chance to be upgraded.

Now the reason I wanted to book a balconyt is that friends said the views are great BUT you need a starboard side (it's on the pot side). I also read reports where people said it's not worth it on that cruise (Copenhagen to St Petersburg etc) as it is a VERY port intensive cruise (only 2 sea days) so money is best spent elsewhere.

OMG this is messing with my head. Is it worth spending an extra $1200 (for 2 of us) on the verandah? Or we could go in the middle and get an oceanview. ($600 more than an inside). The standard inside look pretty small. We have always travelled inside but did get balonies on 2 cruises last year. It was nice but we didn't really sit in the room much and this only has 2 sea days and long port days so we'll just be getting dressed and going to dinner.

I think I'm talkinmg myself out of it as I type.:rolleyes:

I know it's my decision but appreciate your views.

I ;have sailed with HAL forever, (well since 1999). on the Vista and larger ships I have always booked a VH guaranty if I didn't want a suite. Since I believe that there are only four VH Verandahs on the whole whip I have always been upgraded to a better location. If you do get stuck with a VH call HAL and go for an upgrade (called an upsell if you pay for the change) and you should get a better location a a very reasonable price.

Don't worry. From my experience, 29 HAL cruises, it always works out.:)

Thanks everyone.

New dilemma.

OMG this is messing with my head. Is it worth spending an extra $1200 (for 2 of us) on the verandah? Or we could go in the middle and get an oceanview. (I know it's my decision but appreciate your views.

Inside cabins are for two things.... either one or the other...

1. You either hate being inside and you crave for sun and getting out of a shut in a box

OR

2. You like to live like a hermit!

Never go for the inside... the minimum should be in an Oceanview cabin. You have sunlight... and have a view... even if you can see some sights from you porthole (window).

Perhaps on another cruise... say Alaska or a world cruise... then go for that balcony. I can't think of anyone ever NOT likeing a balcony... unless you balcony is NOT on board a HAL balcony!!!!

Stephen

On our Baltic cruise, Westerdam, I enjoyed the balcony. The ship can vary as to which side it docks. I enjoyed watching the very interesting ferries plying the Baltic. I think they dock at a different dock now in St. Pete. We were at a very industrial one where we were not allowed to walk around at all. It looked like we were back in the 1930's. We loved all the Baltic ports. A balcony is a good choice and upgrade (free) is a nice gift. We would love to go back. but there is much of the world to see yet. Enjoy.

Thanks everyone.

New dilemma.

I just got an Email from my agenrt and the category is VH verandah.

Now I'm not comlaining as it is very cheap but I see they are the front 4 cabins under the theatre and the swell is pretty bad. People say they are noisy BUT there is a VERY good chance to be upgraded.

Now the reason I wanted to book a balconyt is that friends said the views are great BUT you need a starboard side (it's on the pot side). I also read reports where people said it's not worth it on that cruise (Copenhagen to St Petersburg etc) as it is a VERY port intensive cruise (only 2 sea days) so money is best spent elsewhere.

OMG this is messing with my head. Is it worth spending an extra $1200 (for 2 of us) on the verandah? Or we could go in the middle and get an oceanview. ($600 more than an inside). The standard inside look pretty small. We have always travelled inside but did get balonies on 2 cruises last year. It was nice but we didn't really sit in the room much and this only has 2 sea days and long port days so we'll just be getting dressed and going to dinner.

I think I'm talkinmg myself out of it as I type.:rolleyes:

I know it's my decision but appreciate your views.

We booked an oceanview on the Eurodam last year for the same cruise and were upgraded to an aft balcony cabin which was great but we were repeat cruisers - not sure whether that was the reason though. There are not as many oceanview cabins on the Eurodam as on the smaller ships and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that verandah cabins are not a lot dearer - at least at the lower end of the range. I loved the verandah and unfortunately it has now spoilt me! That said though, I would still be happy with an oceanview on the smaller ships.

The Baltic States is a very port intensive cruise but only you can decide if it's worth paying extra. We are doing the Mediterranean on the Noordam soon and booked a VH guarantee cabin (only four of them on that ship too) so I thought we'd have a good chance of an upgrade. It came - two decks higher and in a better position. I don't know that it matters much whether you have a starboard or port cabin - the ship is changing direction all the time.

Ozcruizer

Ok I've decided to stick with the balcony. :D

It's not that I thought I wouldn't like the balcony (who wouldn't) but I start thinking what I could spend the difference in cost on.

The price difference for the oceanview was only $600 but when I enquired it was a fully obstructed so no point having a window.

I'm sure I'll love the balcony. I have had a balcony before and it was wonderful. After having a balcony it is difficult to go back to an inside room.

Thanks everyone.