Things I feel anxious about...

OldBoot

We were the target of a pickpocket scam in NEW YORK CITY two summers ago. We'd just come out of the subway, and it was raining. We and our three sons were dressed up because we were going to a Broadway play. My husband stepped out to hail a cab, and a kid with a backpack attempted to ask him for directions! My husband just said, "Get away from me!" The kid melted away into the crowd. Pretty sure he didn't need directions!

You just need to be aware of your surroundings, keep your stuff secure, and use common sense. (I think you are ahead of the game!)

We went to Paris a number of years ago, and the only time I was nervous was on the metro when we were all jammed in together like sardines. We saw the police arresting pickpockets on the metro platform, and we heard numerous announcements in the metro and in the museums about pickpockets. There were eight of us, and we never had a problem, and we all looked like American tourists in spite of trying not to!

Enjoy your trip! It will be fabulous.

Robin

With that said, some of these tactics are just crazy. I've never heard of any place (and we've been around the world in Asia, South America etc) where tourists are targeted so specifically, and so callously. It makes me want to shun my usual Canadian personality and just ignore any pleas for help, any offers of help and generally any interaction with locals. It is also frustrating to realize that cash seems to be the best choice of payment but it's also so high risk to carry cash.

Its true and I feel your pain, but I think I understand it. Anyone in a strange environment is vulnerable. Some people will always look for ways to exploit it. Maybe it is helpful to remember that lots of people no matter what nationality are friendly and hospitable. Its smart to work at reducing your vulnerability while at the same time appreciating those around you who exemplify the best of human nature.

Enjoy your trip! It will be fabulous.

Robin

Fantastic advice Robin! I look forward to it. :)

It will be. :) I should have said we didn't walk around Spain, France, Italy, Greece, and Turkey with any sense of fear. Sure, we were aware but not to the point of being distracted. We had an amazing trip and cruise, truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience and expect to add to that this coming May. Being aware and prepared doesn't mean it will or has to ruin your trip. :)

Thanks Randy!

I feel like I'm going to be kitted up like a secret agent! lol

Seriously, people throw babies?! Oh dear gawd. Lets hope that trend has run its course. I downloaded a couple of language phrase apps on my smartphone...hopefully I'll have room for it inside my security pack. I want to use it for the downloaded walking tours I have on it.

The fake baby toss trick was being used at the Leaning Tower of Pisa when we were there in 2011.

One of the crew members nearly fell victim to it.

We had been warned in advance about this tactic.

I think traveling with awareness is just a new skill one has to learn and put into practice. Like driving, the more you do it, the easier it all becomes and you don't have to feel "hyper-aware" all the time.

I've been in Rome probably about once a year since about 1999 and in all that time I've only once been approached by any gypsies or suspicious sorts while out walking around. And I've never seen the baby trick or the "spill" trick in actual practice -- only have read about them on sites like this one.

I just spent two weeks in Naples, often regarded as being a "dangerous" city by cruisers, and never met with the slightest problem either when walking around in the city or taking public transportation.

So do go prepared but I reiterate that there isn't a need to be paranoid or to let it interfere with your enjoyment of this trip.

I had similiar concerns when traveling to South America. I was alone (up until meeting the ship) and carrying lots of cash.

After going through airport security I moved the "stashes" to various parts of my clothing. My carryons was locked for the trip through the scanner. It made me feel better that I would be present if an inspection was requested . (It was in BsAs). The lock stayed on through the flight also to make it more difficult if someone wanted to go through my bag during the flight.

Prior to leaving I added a deeper set of pocket bags accessible via zipper inside the pocket to my jeans. Other than cutting my pants that was the only access. I wear those while in higher risk areas here at home. A friend suggested keeping a copy of pp and some cash in a money belt too.

Many years ago, my Dad was given advice to put rubber bands around his wallet and carry it in his front pocket. He also put his handkerchief on top of it. Well, the hint was useful in Paris when he reached in his pocket for the handkerchief and found a young man's hand in the same pocket!

The tossed baby -- we experienced that one in Padua, Italy.

The clean the bird droppings help -- Buenos Aires, Argentina.

As a dear sweet elderly lady told me before my first trip to Europe --- when I was TERRIFIED of the entire experience --- learn to say Good Morning, Please, Thank You, Excuse Me, Toilet in the language of the country you are visiting, leave diamonds and gold jewelry at home, wear a money belt and a sense of humor, and ENJOY!

I took the advice to heart and enjoyed every minute of the experience.

You will be fine, HONEST!

To hear some of these posts you would think that we Europeans are all pickpocketing, begging thieves who are just looking for an opportunity to rob Americans blind. Most of us work 9-5 you know. It's funny though - check the TripAdvisor forums for New York and Europeans are asking the same things about their visits to the big apple. I guess it's always a fear of the unknown.

In major European cities credit cards are widely accepted and you will be no more at risk of credit card fraud etc than any major American city. Same for pickpocketing. Just use common sense. A cross-body bag with secure fasteners is always a good idea in any city - keep one hand on it public but don't make a big deal about it. Ignore beggars on trains the same way you would in any American city.

Regarding language, just learn a few basic words in the language of each country you're visiting, like "hello", "thank you" and "goodbye". English is a standard subject in most European countries' schools now, so most people you'll meet will have a basic enough understanding to get what you're saying/asking anyway. Though please do not assume that speaking in one language covers you for the whole of Europe - the Spanish or Italian would be confused (or certainly amused anyway) if you start saying "merci" at them. It would be like someone talking to someone in French in New York because it's vaguely close to Quebec. They might humour you but it will be in a "typical Americans..." manner. It's ok though, I think they hate "typical Brits" even more! :D

Please don't worry - the world is becoming more and more homogenised and I think you'll find there are more similarities than differences on your trip. Enjoy yourself!

Edited by bridgetjonesni

To hear some of these posts you would think that we Europeans are all pickpocketing, begging thieves who are just looking for an opportunity to rob Americans blind. Most of us work 9-5 you know. It's funny though - check the TripAdvisor forums for New York and Europeans are asking the same things about their visits to the big apple. I guess it's always a fear of the unknown.

In major European cities credit cards are widely accepted and you will be no more at risk of credit card fraud etc than any major American city. Same for pickpocketing. Just use common sense. A cross-body bag with secure fasteners is always a good idea in any city - keep one hand on it public but don't make a big deal about it. Ignore beggars on trains the same way you would in any American city.

Regarding language, just learn a few basic words in the language of each country you're visiting, like "hello", "thank you" and "goodbye". English is a standard subject in most European countries' schools now, so most people you'll meet will have a basic enough understanding to get what you're saying/asking anyway. Though please do not assume that speaking in one language covers you for the whole of Europe - the Spanish or Italian would be confused (or certainly amused anyway) if you start saying "merci" at them. It would be like someone talking to someone in French in New York because it's vaguely close to Quebec. They might humour you but it will be in a "typical Americans..." manner. It's ok though, I think they hate "typical Brits" even more! :D

Please don't worry - the world is becoming more and more homogenised and I think you'll find there are more similarities than differences on your trip. Enjoy yourself!

I've also seen those posts on Tripadvisor about NYC and Chicago and Los Angeles (where I grew up). Our only time I know we've been targeted was in NYC (as I posted above). But I do know an elderly neighbor who had her purse snatched in Barcelona, causing her to fall down and break her shoulder. (I think it had that metal in the strap so they couldn't cut it.)

We are careful no matter where we are. We felt more safe in NYC at midnight last year walking back to our hotel from Carnegie Hall than we did when we got out of seeing "Wicked" in Salt Lake City at 10pm on a weeknight!

Re: languages: My husband (who lived in Quebec for two years and speaks French) taught me to say in French, "I am sorry I do not speak French." I would say that to someone (usually in a shop when I wanted Diet Coke!) in Paris, and the person would nearly always speak back to me in English. I think they like it when you show you are willing to try their language!

Also, we made a mistake when we were younger of only taking our American Express card with us on one trip. Oooops. Even in America, some places would not take it. So now when we go out of the country, we leave the AmEx at home! :D

Robin

You are quite right...it is just an underlying fear of the unknown. There are criminals of opportunity everywhere in the world. We are just more aware of our own!

Our private tour operators have asked that they be paid in cash at the end of the tour...we did have the option to have them debit our credit card in advance, but chose the cash option. And with several private shoreex tours, it adds up. The only reason I might choose cash over CC when browsing in port is that cash might be quicker when buying meals/snacks. I'm not anticipating doing a lot of shopping...does that fall into the category of "famous last words"? lol

Got my handy dandy smartphone language apps for that. Have to get studying!

A more homogenous world IS something I worry about! :) Vive la difference! But seriously, I do believe in the basic goodness of human nature. (The usual criminal element looking for an opportunuity is something that must, unfortunately, be considered.)