Lost Weight on Celebrity Cruise!

specialdiet

Just off Century's two week Panama Canal cruise, and dropped four pounds! I'm only posting this to to brag a bit, and no, it wasn't via the norovirus diet. :rolleyes:

Actually I usually lose a bit of weight on a cruise, which most people assume is due to my restrictive diet (no gluten, dairy, meat or poultry), and give me the "poor you, there must have been nothing for you to eat" routine.

Au contraire. And while there were lots of things onboard I couldn't eat, I certainly never went hungry. Tons of fresh fruits and veggies everywhere, plus many other healthy choices, effectively portion-controlled meals at the MDR, some level of activity off the ship, and lots of time to use the never-too-busy gym when onboard.

Combine the ready availability of great tasting but healthy food with the lower stress that comes with holidays, and being somewhat reasonable with alcohol intake, and it's not hard to have a great time yet still be healthy. Hmmm, maybe I would have lost more weight if my in-laws also weren't onboard :D

I agree that should not be hard to loose weight on a cruise. You can even still eat the much talked about steak and lobster.

It all comes from understanding how food and the body work together. There are plenty of fresh fruits and veggies on board. Even meat can work. Drop the carbs (bread, buns, potatoes, corn) and eat the foods that are most efficiently used by the body that don't add fat (dark chocolate, nuts, olive oil, avocado). Limit salt, dairy, sugar, and portion size and it is possible. But you are on vacation, so don't beat yourself up if you want to try something you know is not good. Have a taste, a few bites, and relax. You're on vacation.

The offerings in Blu could be a good start to cleaner eating. Even the Ocean View Cafe can work if you understand how to make good choices.

2 books with menu ideas to help understand the body and it's relationship and reactions to food are The Flat-Belly Diet and The Super Smash Diet.

Well done! I admire that you have done that, but it is unlikely to be something I will experience! Good to hear it can be done :) I think it is good for people with restricted diets to hear there is plenty to eat also, as there really is a lot of choices.

Yeah, I also lost a couple of pounds on my last cruise. You wouldn't think it with the amount eaten. But as you say, there is pretty good portion control, and tonnes of exercise on those port intensive itinerary's.

I have some gluten free/dairy free's in my inner circle, so good to now it can be done without feeling sacrificed.

Nicely done! I considered it a victory when I stayed steady on our Alaskan cruise. I used the fitness center every day and had at least one strenuous-ish outing, but my thorough enjoyment of the drinks package and the coconut cake at Al Bacio prevented any weight loss!

I went to the gym most mornings, walked the stairs and ensured I filled my plate with veggies and drank whatever I wanted and lots of it too, including high sugar ones and lost a couple of pounds

Shame I've never been able to recreate it since and made up for the loss many times

I have lost weight on several cruises..or just not gained on others . We eat carefully but enjoy our food and do not feel deprived . The reason we are careful is because the wrong type of food or just too much food causes energy drains . We just don't want to be tired on vacation . We want to feel energetic everyday!!!

I usually lose a pound or two or stay the same with no restrictions on what I eat. I'm very active and sign up for the spinning and boot camp classes. And I almost always leave lots of food on the dinner plate to be tossed out. Small portions are the key, obviously.

Tom

Actually I usually lose a bit of weight on a cruise, which most people assume is due to my restrictive diet (no gluten, dairy, meat or poultry),:D

I guess you haven't tried the "Texed's Waffle Diet" yet? It works for me. :D