On Hold for 1 Hr, 40 Mins??

I was on hold for 1 hour, 45 minutes last night starting at 10:15pm!!!!!!

My advice is not to give up. For me, it was a matter of saving $400 because my cruise fare dropped!! I booked it last Sunday, and already within a week, it went down!

There was a barge accident near Houston that has thousands of gallons of oil lost. It is affecting ship, barge and boat (pleasure and commercial fishing) from either leaving or entering the Galveston Channel. All three cruise ships; Navigator, Magic and Triumph were able to get into Galveston but there is no word when and if they will be able to leave today. Both the Navigator and Magic has new passengers but last I heard the Triumph still can't dock to disembark the passengers from the last cruise until the Magic leaves.

If you go to http://www.galveston.com/webcams you can see all three ships. Use the live cams; cruise, pier 23 and emerald cams to see them. There is also a discussions going on there to. You can join in if you Dave a Facebook or discus (spelling ??) account.

Edited by lady_cruiser

I think it depends on what you're holding for. I was on hold for the same amount of time a few weeks ago...but holding out and waiting meant that I saved almost $3000 (!!!) for our cruise! It was well worth every minute. If you're calling for something more mundane, and you don't have speaker phone to leave it on, then I'd probably hang up at this point and call back. I hate being on hold!

Lengthy waits seem to have become the order of the day with RCI even before the Galveston problem. If "your call is really important to us" perhaps they should hire more people to answer their phones. :rolleyes:

I was on hold 87 minutes, but it was for a price drop of $1280 on our cruise. It was worth the wait. I did a load of laundry, ran the dishwasher...

The rep was also very friendly. It was 3 minutes before midnight. I was so afraid the price would change at midnight.

That would be great, but what happens to the staff when there are no more days with long hold times, just let them go?

How likely is it that the long hold times will disappear unless they have sufficient staff to handle them in a timely manner? The reasons for the long hold times are not simply due to the current situation with two ships. They have existed since long before these incidents and are more the result of inadequate staffing. Adequate numbers of staff would be able to handle the increasing volume of calls which are more the result of the addition of more ships to the fleet, the dispersal of their fleet throughout the world, and an increase in the number of cruises, than any isolated incident due to weather or ship's misfortune. This situation is not unique to RCI or other cruiselines. It is prevalent in many areas of business where companies fail to allocate sufficient personnel to handling their customers telephone inquiries.

Edited by negc

The Navigator incident could have added tot he problem, but there have been countless posts on here and Facebook about people waiting well over an hour to speak to somebody for months. That's inexcusable for a travel and leisure company.

How likely is it that the long hold times will disappear unless they have sufficient staff to handle them in a timely manner? The reasons for the long hold times are not simply due to the current situation with two ships. They have existed since long before these incidents and are more the result of inadequate staffing. Adequate numbers of staff would be able to handle the increasing volume of calls which are more the result of the addition of more ships to the fleet, the dispersal of their fleet throughout the world, and an increase in the number of cruises, than any isolated incident due to weather or ship's misfortune. This situation is not unique to RCI or other cruiselines. It is prevalent in many areas of business where companies fail to allocate sufficient personnel to handling their customers telephone inquiries.

Bill........I chatted with the staff in Oregon, which is handling most of the calls these days. And they admitted that they are understaffed.

The team of old, from Miami and Witchita, well.......Kansas is gone, Miami only answers the phone when not playing ping pong with Mr. Goldstein.

When are we cruising again??:D

Rick

Bill........I chatted with the staff in Oregon, which is handling most of the calls these days. And they admitted that they are understaffed.

The team of old, from Miami and Witchita, well.......Kansas is gone, Miami only answers the phone when not playing ping pong with Mr. Goldstein.

When are we cruising again??:D

Rick

They have time to play ping pong?! And here I thought they spent all their time thinking up sad new ways to scape up pennies off the ground :D.