New documentation requirement?

Recently I was told by a Royal Caribbean representative that a birth certificate and drivers lisence is no longer enough for a married woman to board a cruise ship. She said I need to bring my marriage lisence also. I've never needed it before. Just to be sure, I called and asked a different person and got the same answer. :mad:

Recently I was told by a Royal Caribbean representative that a birth certificate and drivers lisence is no longer enough for a married woman to board a cruise ship. She said I need to bring my marriage lisence also. I've never needed it before. Just to be sure, I called and asked a different person and got the same answer. :mad:

Sure makes life more simple when you get a real passport....

Not new...you MAY be asked to connect your names....when I took my aunt, she had her BC, DL, marriage, divorce and marriage certificates....

They looked quickly upon boarding, and Immigration DID ask for ALL of it when we returned....the agent looked at EVERY page.......

SO, take it all, and apply for a passport..

I'm sure it does, but it's not a requirement for a closed-loop cruise. Also, can be very expensive for a large family. My question was not about passports anyway, so why bring them up? :rolleyes:

In addition to needing a marriage license if the name on your cruise booking does not match your id, you need a marriage license if you are underage to prove you fall under the marital exception to the usual minimum age requirement: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309

I thought it was only the policy for a newly married woman who's name does not match on the documents.
A woman's current name is unlikely to match her birth certificate even if she's been married for fifty years.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

A woman's current name is unlikely to match her birth certificate even if she's been married for fifty years.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Exactly my point! Mine doesn't and I've never had a problem boarding. :D

I completely agree...

The marriage license is a government document to prove that you are one in the same person and I could see why they would require it. This is IF your name used for the cruise documents is different than all of your legal documents (Birth certificate and drivers license). To avoid this on our first cruise in 2006 we booked the cruise with my wife using her madden name thus all documents matching. We did sail 1 day after we got married so we would not have had the legal marriage license anyway.

Yep. I think this has technically been the policy for years, due to the fact that most women do change their name when they get married. If you haven't changed your name, then your drivers license would match your birth certificate and you're golden. Otherwise, I don't know why they wouldn't technically need that link between the two names. That brings up another point-if you've been married more than once, be sure to have the links between ALL names. If you're Jane Smith when you're born, get married and become Jane Jones, divorce and marry again to become Jane Doe, I would think you'd need a birth certificate, the Jones marriage and divorce certificates, plus the Doe marriage certificate to tie Doe back to Smith.

Whether they ASK for all of consistently is another story entirely, but it makes sense to me why they should.

(A passport really is easier if you can swing it)

Yep. I think this has technically been the policy for years, )

It has. Its been discussed on here for years too so its definitely not "new".

The marriage license is a "bridge document" connecting the maiden name to the married name. Its really depending on the check in agent as to whether or not they ask for it. I assume most do not ask but some do.

Always better to be safe than sorry and bring it if they dont have a Passport.

Instead of getting a full passport book which costs $120, I would suggest a passport card which is $30. It is good for 10 years, and can be used for any land crossings, and cruises.

You cannot fly with it, but if all you plan to do is cruise closed loop cruises, it is not expensive.

Even though the price of a passport is $120 (plus the $25 signup fee), remember that it is good for 10 years, so it is about $15 a year. That is less than a couple cups of starbucks coffee, or two packs of cigarettes, or a cheap meal at a fast service restaurant. Not expensive for the piece of mind of not having to bring a birth certificate with you.

Instead of getting a full passport book which costs $120, I would suggest a passport card which is $30. It is good for 10 years, and can be used for any land crossings, and cruises.

You cannot fly with it, but if all you plan to do is cruise closed loop cruises, it is not expensive.

Even though the price of a passport is $120 (plus the $25 signup fee), remember that it is good for 10 years, so it is about $15 a year. That is less than a couple cups of starbucks coffee, or two packs of cigarettes, or a cheap meal at a fast service restaurant. Not expensive for the piece of mind of not having to bring a birth certificate with you.

I have both the passport book and passport card. The card can't be used itself for closed loop cruises, it can be used in lieu of driver's license, I believe. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain I have had to use my passport book if I didn't have my BC.

Nevermind--just looked it up.

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book.

Edited by reney313

You need to take another look at the way things work.

You get to the ship and show them your passport, then get on the ship.

I get to the ship and show them my BC and DL and get on the ship.

You know where you keep your PP at home so it is easy to find.

I keep my BC and DL and I know where they are so it is simple.

If you lose your PP or forget it at home it is a real pain.

If I lose or forget my DL and BC it is a real pain.

please tell me how your life is simpler by having a PP.

It has. Its been discussed on here for years too so its definitely not "new".

The marriage license is a "bridge document" connecting the maiden name to the married name. Its really depending on the check in agent as to whether or not they ask for it. I assume most do not ask but some do.

Always better to be safe than sorry and bring it if they dont have a Passport.

I should have worded the question differently. I know the marriage certificate is not a "new requirement." I should have said it sounded like it was a "new requirement " for me. Sorry for the confusion. :o

Where's that LIKE button?

Simple:

1) There is no questioning what works and what doesn't.

2) IF you get stuck, miss the ship in a foreign port a Birth Certificate/DL will make things more complex. A passport will save a lot time and frustration.

The EASIEST solution that is also cost effective is the Passport Card IF you just plan on cruises or land crossings. As previously said it works on cruises and is only $25 or $30 and is good for 10 years. If you lose your BC or DL, it could easily cost you as much if not more.

Simple:

1) There is no questioning what works and what doesn't.

2) IF you get stuck, miss the ship in a foreign port a Birth Certificate/DL will make things more complex. A passport will save a lot time and frustration.

The EASIEST solution that is also cost effective is the Passport Card IF you just plan on cruises or land crossings. As previously said it works on cruises and is only $25 or $30 and is good for 10 years. If you lose your BC or DL, it could easily cost you as much if not more.

and how will that get you home from a foreign port?

The passport card works for cruises and land crossings. If you get stuck in a foreign port, while not a passport it is still a travel document that is recognized as such, issued by the Federal Government unlike a DL or BC which is issued by a state.

If you are traveling out of the country, there is no question a Passport is the best, but if cost is a concern and one is only traveling on closed loop cruises to the Caribbean or Canada (or is doing a land crossing to Canada or Mexico) then a Passport Card is the next best thing.

The passport card works for cruises and land crossings. If you get stuck in a foreign port, while not a passport it is still a travel document that is recognized as such, issued by the Federal Government unlike a DL or BC which is issued by a state.

If you are traveling out of the country, there is no question a Passport is the best, but if cost is a concern and one is only traveling on closed loop cruises to the Caribbean or Canada (or is doing a land crossing to Canada or Mexico) then a Passport Card is the next best thing.

I think you have some false security regarding the Passport card. It is just as worthless as a DL and BC if you miss the ship and have to fly home from a foreign port. It would still take a couple days to get everything worked out.

Edited by ryano

You still can't fly with it. Still a delay just as with a BC. 2-3 days delay in both cases

I think you have some false security regarding the Passport card. It is just as worthless as a DL and BC if you miss the ship and have to fly home from a foreign port. It would still take a couple days to get everything worked out.

Agree, flying with it would be a no go… same would be true (or made more difficult) if you had only a DL or BC. That's why I said a passport would be best.