Star Princess to Hawaii: Random thoughts and observations

Jasperdo

My wife and I just completed a 15 day cruise to Hawaii onboard the Star Princess. This was our second cruise to Hawaii. Our last time was three years ago on the Golden Princess. The weather didn't co-operate that time and we had to miss both Lahaina and Kauai because of it. We still had a great cruise that time, but felt we needed to take another one and hope for a better result on the Islands. I am happy to say that this time was a success. We got to all four islands this sailing, and had fantastic weather in all the ports. A mix of rain and sun in Hilo, but that's to be expected. The other three ports had plenty of sunshine.

This won't be a typical review, but rather a mix of random thoughts that pop into my head concerning this cruise. Princess has made some changes since our last cruise. I'll be touching on a few of those. Some were for the better ... some not. But overall, Princess still deliveres a fabulous product and a fine cruise. We had a fantastic time on this cruise. Any complaints I may make are minor indeed, and did not affect our overall enjoyment of this wonderful vacation to paradise. That said, lets begin:

***We arrived at San Pedro around 10:30AM. By the time we unloaded and parked the car, they were beginning to check passengers in. Although we have sailed from Pier 93 a number of times, this was our first as platinum members. The waiting area has been re-aranged from what I remember in the past. The priority waiting area used to be a small section on the left side of the waiting room. Now it occupies the entire middle section of the room. Elites were seated to the right, Platinum to the left. Coffee, juice and danish were served. It was very organized. Boarding began a bit later than usual. Most times we sail out of San Pedro, they begin boarding by 11:45AM the latest. This time it didn't begin until 12:15PM. But it was very fast and efficient, and we were onboard in no time.***

***Gone are the Boink Boink machines. Hand held scanners are now used. I thought they worked very well. They seemed fasted than the Boink Boink machines. No need to fumble and put your card in the slot. Just have the bar code scanned. I did miss the sound of the old machines, though. It really said "Oh, boy, I'm on a cruise!" The scanners were also used at the muster drill as well.***

***One of the things I noticed that was different this Hawaii cruise was there wasn't Hawaii music played in the background through the ship. Sometimes it was there, other times it was just generic music. That was one of the special things I remember about the Golden cruise to Hawaii. Another change I noticed was the lack of Hawaii themed movies on MUTS during sea days. Three years ago, there was at least one Hawaii movie every sea day. On this cruise, only Pearl Harbor was played while we sailed to the islands. Movies such as "Blue Hawaii" and "Hawaii" were played on port days while most people were off the ship. It was much better to have them on sea days, especially when heading to the islands.***

More to come ...

Our last cruise had the hand scanner too. The boxes for inserting your card were there but against the wall so they probably hadn't been taking off the ship yet.

I would be so disappointed not to hear Hawaiian music much of the time. Of course, our three Hawaiian cruises were during the holiday time, so lots of Christmas music and movies playing. Some movies I would expect to see on the Hawaiian cruise such as "Pearl Harbor," "Blue Hawaii," and "Lilo and Stich," as they do set the mood. Hubby and I did watch "Blue Hawaii" just a few weeks before our last cruise (we've often watched movies set in our destination before a cruise). At least you got some chances to hear "Elua" perform, I hope.

At least you got some chances to hear "Elua" perform' date=' I hope.[/quote']Absolutely! Dave and Leialoha were one of the big reasons we took this cruise again. I'll be mentioning more about them next.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! We've done this cruise four times, three on the Golden and once on the Sapphire.

As for the Hawaiian music piped in, we loved it and it would be a disappointment not to have that. I did read on these boards that someone complained that there was too much Hawaiian music!!!! That may be why Princess reduced it. It's too bad.

We had a great time over Christmas on the Star to Hawaii. Looking forward to your thoughts.
Thanks for your comment. This really is a great cruise, and the Star is a fine ship.

As for the Hawaiian music piped in, we loved it and it would be a disappointment not to have that. I did read on these boards that someone complained that there was too much Hawaiian music!!!! That may be why Princess reduced it. It's too bad.

That was probably my biggest disappointment on this cruise. These Hawaii cruises are quite unique in that they really have a wonderful cultural program. The lei making, hula lessons, ukulele lessons are all still there, and as good as before. But the piped in music and movies were a very nice added touch that wasn't as prominent on this cruise. Edited by Jasperdo

Continued ...

***Most of you who have cruised to Hawaii out of San Pedro these last 6 years or so know who Elua is. To those that are unfamiliar: Elua is the musical husband and wife team of Dave and Leialoha. Along with cruise director David Cole, Elua set up the immersive Hawaiian Cultral Program that is included on all Princess sailings out of San Pedro. This features lei making classes, ukulele classes and hula dancing classes. It culminates in an "Aloha Oe" farewell show, where all the passengers who learned the ukulele and hula during the cruise get up on stage and perform. It's a very magical moment and one of the highlights of any cruise I've been on. Aside from teaching these classes, Elua are very talented musicians. Dave plays a mean steel guitar, and Leialoha has a beautiful singing voice. Just about every day of the cruise you'll find them playing Hawaiian music in the Piazza and poolside. And the absolute best thing about them is you can tell they are truly enjoying sharing the Aloha Spirit with the cruise passengers. They are super friendly and a joy to be around. They are what makes these Hawaii cruises very special indeed. Princess is very fortunate indeed to have them on their ships. Mahalo, Dave and Leialoha for another wonderful cruise with you guys.***

***The first time we sailed with David Cole we weren't overly impressed. It was an Alaska cruise, and everyone here on CC was raving about what a fabulous cruise director he was. We thought he was ok, but nothing more. A typical cruise director. Nice but unmemorable. That all changed on this cruise. His passion for Hawaii is incredible and it showed. David is the only cruise director I can recall that actually gives the Port Talks. And these aren't your typical shopping talks. They are detailed slide shows, one for each of the 4 islands you visit. They each last about an hour and are a wealth of information on the history, nature, culture and tourism of the island. I heavily research my trips before I go, and I even learned a few things with David's talks. He also gave a very interesting talk on the history of the Hawaiian Monarchy. And to top it off, he's a wonderful ukulele player. He teaches some of the classes, and also plays along with Elua at the Ultimate Deck Party in Honolulu, as well as during the "Aloha Oe" farewell show. I can see now why he is so well liked here on Cruise Critic. A big Mahalo to you as well, David.***

More to come ...

Continued ...

***Most of you who have cruised to Hawaii out of San Pedro these last 6 years or so know who Elua is. To those that are unfamiliar: Elua is the musical husband and wife team of Dave and Leialoha. Along with cruise director David Cole, Elua set up the immersive Hawaiian Cultral Program that is included on all Princess sailings out of San Pedro. This features lei making classes, ukulele classes and hula dancing classes. It culminates in an "Aloha Oe" farewell show, where all the passengers who learned the ukulele and hula during the cruise get up on stage and perform. It's a very magical moment and one of the highlights of any cruise I've been on. Aside from teaching these classes, Elua are very talented musicians. Dave plays a mean steel guitar, and Leialoha has a beautiful singing voice. Just about every day of the cruise you'll find them playing Hawaiian music in the Piazza and poolside. And the absolute best thing about them is you can tell they are truly enjoying sharing the Aloha Spirit with the cruise passengers. They are super friendly and a joy to be around. They are what makes these Hawaii cruises very special indeed. Princess is very fortunate indeed to have them on their ships. Mahalo, Dave and Leialoha for another wonderful cruise with you guys.***

***The first time we sailed with David Cole we weren't overly impressed. It was an Alaska cruise, and everyone here on CC was raving about what a fabulous cruise director he was. We thought he was ok, but nothing more. A typical cruise director. Nice but unmemorable. That all changed on this cruise. His passion for Hawaii is incredible and it showed. David is the only cruise director I can recall that actually gives the Port Talks. And these aren't your typical shopping talks. They are detailed slide shows, one for each of the 4 islands you visit. They each last about an hour and are a wealth of information on the history, nature, culture and tourism of the island. I heavily research my trips before I go, and I even learned a few things with David's talks. He also gave a very interesting talk on the history of the Hawaiian Monarchy. And to top it off, he's a wonderful ukulele player. He teaches some of the classes, and also plays along with Elua at the Ultimate Deck Party in Honolulu, as well as during the "Aloha Oe" farewell show. I can see now why he is so well liked here on Cruise Critic. A big Mahalo to you as well, David.***

More to come ...

You have eloquently captured the essence ("mana") of Dave/Leialoha and Dave Cole. I sure hope Princess is taking this all in.

I do not understand why Princess has chosen to have fewer voyages to the islands next season. Without continuous back to back runs, I wonder what will happen to this refined and wonderful Hawaiiana Cultural Program. So many unanswered questions. I agree with most everyone else. I would like to hear Hawaiian music throughout the cruise.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

Displaced Local Girl

We were on the Star mid Feb and we wished they had more Hawaiian music. We took a tour to Pearl Harbor and our bus driver made the comment that David Cole had the pronunciation of the Hawaiian language down pat. He also said he was the only cruise director that got it right.

I do not understand why Princess has chosen to have fewer voyages to the islands next season. Without continuous back to back runs, I wonder what will happen to this refined and wonderful Hawaiiana Cultural Program. So many unanswered questions. I agree with most everyone else. I would like to hear Hawaiian music throughout the cruise.

I was a bit surprised to see how much the Hawaii cruises were being cut back next season. They seem to be very popular. Dave from Elua did mention that they're hoping to be back on the Star out of San Francisco next season. But nothing has been finalized.

We took a tour to Pearl Harbor and our bus driver made the comment that David Cole had the pronunciation of the Hawaiian language down pat. He also said he was the only cruise director that got it right.
I can believe that. During his lectures he was speaking Hawaiian like it was his first language.

Thanks for this thread. We were on the same cruise in February and totally agree with the comments on Elua and Dave Cole. They made the cruise a real Hawaiian experience!
Mahalo for your comment. The Hawaiian Cultural Program they set up for Princess is incredible.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! We've done this cruise four times, three on the Golden and once on the Sapphire.

It would be a shame if only a few negative comments (only remember seeing one thread started from someone who wasn't into Hawaiian music as well as one review the other year posted on the front page of CC from somebody who rated the entertainment low because of the Hawaiian music). Seriously? If the numbers on this board are any representation of how many passengers on this itinerary enjoy those melodies (and keep repeating this cruise many times), then you would think Princess would pay more attention to that.

I can believe that. During his lectures he was speaking Hawaiian like it was his first language.

Mahalo for your comment. The Hawaiian Cultural Program they set up for Princess is incredible.

Dave Cole's Hawaiian is much better than mine. I know he works extremely hard at pronounciating the words as accurately as possible. But he does have a great tutor (aka/Leialoha) to run things by.

I sure hope ELUA and Dave do not jump ship. I have a booking for the Grand out of Los Angeles next year.

Displaced Local Girl

It would be a shame if only a few negative comments (only remember seeing one thread started from someone who wasn't into Hawaiian music as well as one review the other year posted on the front page of CC from somebody who rated the entertainment low because of the Hawaiian music). Seriously? If the numbers on this board are any representation of how many passengers on this itinerary enjoy those melodies (and keep repeating this cruise many times)' date=' then you would think Princess would pay more attention to that.[/quote']

My sentiments exactly... it would be great if we could duplicate or triplicate Elua, as they bring so much to the Hawaiian experience!

Can't confirm but looks like David Cole might be leaving. Someone commented on his Facebook yesterday

Best of luck and passing on best wishes for your business venture - you were a wondeful cruise director and all of us that sailed with you (many times) will miss you.

Can't confirm but looks like David Cole might be leaving. Someone commented on his Facebook yesterday

As far as I know (and i have been in contact with Dave), he isn't planning on leaving the Hawaiiana program with Princess. He is on Hiatus for the summer and hopefully will be returning to a Hawaii bound ship in the fall. Still trying to convince him and Princess to place him on a ship out of Los Angeles!

Wishing him a restful break from cruising.

I sure hope ELUA and Dave do not jump ship. I have a booking for the Grand out of Los Angeles next year.

Dave of Elua mentioned that they're hoping to return to the Star Princess out of San Francisco. Nothing's been finalized yet, however. He's usually pretty good about keeping us on CC up to date on where they'll be in the future. I do know that they're supposed leave the Star after the current sailing, and do a few cruises for the Japanese market on the Diamond Princess. At least that's what he said during our sailing.

Dave of Elua mentioned that they're hoping to return to the Star Princess out of San Francisco. Nothing's been finalized yet, however. He's usually pretty good about keeping us on CC up to date on where they'll be in the future. I do know that they're supposed leave the Star after the current sailing, and do a few cruises for the Japanese market on the Diamond Princess. At least that's what he said during our sailing.

Thats good to know. Thanks.

We sailed on the Star Princess in mid Feb - we had calm seas (except the 1st day) and great weather at each of the ports. Dave Cole is amazing! We cannot believe going on a Hawaiian cruise without Dave Cole as cruise director! The Elua couple were also fantastic. We thoroughly enjoyed all the Hawaiian theme related talks/sessions, etc presented on this cruise.

Kudos to Dave Cole and the Elua couple a job well done!

As far as I know (and i have been in contact with Dave), he isn't planning on leaving the Hawaiiana program with Princess. He is on Hiatus for the summer and hopefully will be returning to a Hawaii bound ship in the fall. Still trying to convince him and Princess to place him on a ship out of Los Angeles!

On our last day aboard in Ensenada, during the Wake Show, David Cole was mentioning that he was going on vacation beginning the next day. However, I just saw an interesting update on the Cruise Director's List thread here on CC. It says that David Cole will be on the Star through April 20th. Which totally contradicts what I had heard on the last day of our cruise. So, who knows. I hope he isn't leaving Princess, and that's he's just enjoying a well earned vacation right now.

Continued ...

***To answer a few questions some of you might have about the staterooms:

1) Toiletries - The new shampoo/conditioner and shower gel dispensers are in the shower. Only a bar of soap and a tube of lotion by the sink now. I actually liked this better than the small bottles we used to get. To me it had a nicer smell than the old eucalyptus line, and it's easier to reach for in the shower. No more fumbling with the tiny bottles. We bring a shower puff from home, and the shower gel lathers up better than a bar of soap. I just wish the nozzles were a little longer. They are quite short.

2) Televisions - No interactive TV's on the Star yet. The channel lineup is the same as it's been on previous cruises.

3) Beds - Still the old Princess beds, at least in our cabin. I've never had a problem with them, but I know a lot of people feel they're too hard.***

***Speaking of cabins - We had inside cabin A249. We are very satisfied with the insides on Princess, and always book one. Lots of open closet space, efficient layout. No complaints. The location of this cabin was very nice, too. Cabins above and below, which I like. Only 3 door from the forward elevators. Very convenient. Our cabin steward was very good. We always put the "Make Room" card out when we leave the cabin, and it was always refreshed when we returned a few hours later.***

***Speaking of elevators - I feel that the elevators on the Grand Class ships are poorly designed. The forward elevators are the only ones that make sense. Push a button, and the bank of 4 elevators is activated. The midship elevators are completely different. The 2 glass elevators use a different button than the 4 regular elevators. Most people will press both sets of buttons, which means 2 different elevators are going to stop on that floor. Which means that if you're on a midship elevator, half the time you'll stop at a floor and no one is there. They already caught an earlier elevator. Plus, the 2 glass elevators are far apart, and it's hard to get to while the doors are still open if you're standing at the other one. The rear elevators are even worse, and it's been documented here on CC many times. Of the 4 elevators in the bank, only 2 go all the way down to Deck 6, where the Traditional Dining Room is. Those same two elevarors are the only ones that go all the way up to Skywalkers. The middle 2 elevators only go from Deck 7 to Deck 14. And they have 2 sets of buttons as well. It's a very lame setup.***

***This was a first for us on 7 Princess cruises. The covered Calypso Pool actually had it's roof open in Los Angeles. I've seen photos of it open before. But on all our other cruises, the retractable roof was closed tight the entire voyage. It was only open while we were docked in Los Angeles, though. The rest of the cruise it was closed. But I was happy to have actually seen it open for a change.***

***While I'm talking about the enclosed pool ... the Conservatory area above the covered pool was packed every sea day until dinner time. Usually it's our go to spot for a quiet place to relax and read. But for some reason, on this cruise, if you weren't there by 9AM on a sea day, there were no loungers left. I was surprised to see that. Our back up quiet area of Skywalkers Lounge was still mostly empty on sea days, though.***

More to come ...

Edited by Jasperdo