Just back from splendor 3/17 - 3/25

LOU

My wife and I returned today from our Carnival Splendor cruise. We we accompanied by two other couples. We are all in our mid to late fifties. We have cruised over twenty times on several different cruiselines. Contrary to the negative reviews that I read prior to sailing, we all had a great time. The ship was very clean, the crew was friendly and the food was great. What more could you want? I know that it is impossible to please over three thousand people at any one time, but they really do their best.

Embarkation in N.Y. was smooth and orderly considering there are over three thousand people to register and board. Luggage was at our cabins within a couple of hours.

During the first lunch buffet I noticed constant cleaning of tables and service areas. In previous reviews I read about discarded food being left on tables and not cleaned up by the staff. It is impossible to immediatley clean every mess as soon as it happens, especially when some of the passengers aren't the neatest people in the world and have no respect for the ship , the crew, or other passengers.

The food in the dining room was great every night. There were many choices for everyone and seconds were always provided right away. We had the same seating every night so the waiters knew exactly what we liked and it was there every night when we arrived.

There is only one specialty restaurant (PINNACLE STEAKHOUSE). It was a great experience. The staff was attentive, courteous and professional. Each course was better than the last. The chocolate sampler was unbelievable. Also, burgers, hot dogs and pizza are offered pretty much whenever you're hungry.

There are many comedy shows throughout the week, family and adult. Personally, I thought the comedians were funnier without the cursing but some people are entertained by the sound of a four letter word. Don't get me wrong...I grew up in Brooklyn so that word was always part of our vocabulary....but I don't find it funny.

For KARAOKE lovers, there is karaoke every night and sometimes day and night. This includes auditions for the "LEGENDS SHOW" on the last night of the cruise. I won the part of Frank Sinatra on this cruise. It was a lot of fun and a great experience.

If I had to find one thing that bothered me, it would be the pictures that the photographers take. They do a great job, but the ship should offer packages. Currently, each 8x10 is $21.00. You can't request a 5x7 unless you buy the 8x10 first. That's ridiculous ! Now you have two of the same picture. I think they should offer package deals or choice of sizes. It seems they would rather throw the pictures in the garbage than give a better deal or print smaller shots.

Disembarkation was smooth and quicker than we expected.

So in conclusion, I don't know if the writers of the negative reviews are just harder to please or maybe the ship responded to the criticism and turned things around but It was one of the best cruises we've had. Of course, the friends or family that accompany you help make the cruise enjoyable. We had a great group. As far as excursions. In Freeport, Don't waste money on the "Balmoral beach day". You can go to a free beach not far from the ship.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me at my email address - LORRICHIO@AOL.COM

We were on the Splendor last May, last month and are booked on her for THIS May also! I echo your observations. We never had any problems and had wonderful cruises. Was thinking about you all sailing thru the storm on your way home last night! Welcome ashore and thank you for your honest comments.

As far as the photos being thrown away, I think that the cruiselines sell the pix to the makers of photo frames. It's a win-win type of thing. Just kidding...... But I always wondered why they didn't offer to sell them to you later, ya know, on-line sales. I probably just gave them an idea. hahahaha

Glad you had a great time! We were on the Splendor last October and booked again for this October. About the Balmoral beach excursion, did you do it and then find out there was a free beach close by or did you go to the free beach? Just wondering what you liked/disliked about Balmoral or the other beach Since we were planning on going to Balmoral. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was on the 3/17 sailing also and it was great once again. It was my second time on Splendor in 4 weeks so had it been bad, I never would have done it again. Can't say anything negative other than agreeing about the Balmoral Day that I did on the first cruise...in a word, pitiful.

Both sailings were my first experience on Carnival and if it doesn't stop snowing I might be on the April 2 one as well!

Pam

We were on the Splendor this past February and also echo many of your comments. We sailed the Glory last July and the Splendor's staff and food definitely was better than the Glory's. We also felt the entertainment was also better. Would sail her again in heartbeat

Cheers

Len.

My wife and I returned today from our Carnival Splendor cruise. We we accompanied by two other couples. We are all in our mid to late fifties. We have cruised over twenty times on several different cruiselines. Contrary to the negative reviews that I read prior to sailing, we all had a great time. The ship was very clean, the crew was friendly and the food was great. What more could you want? I know that it is impossible to please over three thousand people at any one time, but they really do their best.

Embarkation in N.Y. was smooth and orderly considering there are over three thousand people to register and board. Luggage was at our cabins within a couple of hours.

During the first lunch buffet I noticed constant cleaning of tables and service areas. In previous reviews I read about discarded food being left on tables and not cleaned up by the staff. It is impossible to immediatley clean every mess as soon as it happens, especially when some of the passengers aren't the neatest people in the world and have no respect for the ship , the crew, or other passengers.

The food in the dining room was great every night. There were many choices for everyone and seconds were always provided right away. We had the same seating every night so the waiters knew exactly what we liked and it was there every night when we arrived.

There is only one specialty restaurant (PINNACLE STEAKHOUSE). It was a great experience. The staff was attentive, courteous and professional. Each course was better than the last. The chocolate sampler was unbelievable. Also, burgers, hot dogs and pizza are offered pretty much whenever you're hungry.

There are many comedy shows throughout the week, family and adult. Personally, I thought the comedians were funnier without the cursing but some people are entertained by the sound of a four letter word. Don't get me wrong...I grew up in Brooklyn so that word was always part of our vocabulary....but I don't find it funny.

For KARAOKE lovers, there is karaoke every night and sometimes day and night. This includes auditions for the "LEGENDS SHOW" on the last night of the cruise. I won the part of Frank Sinatra on this cruise. It was a lot of fun and a great experience.

If I had to find one thing that bothered me, it would be the pictures that the photographers take. They do a great job, but the ship should offer packages. Currently, each 8x10 is $21.00. You can't request a 5x7 unless you buy the 8x10 first. That's ridiculous ! Now you have two of the same picture. I think they should offer package deals or choice of sizes. It seems they would rather throw the pictures in the garbage than give a better deal or print smaller shots.

Disembarkation was smooth and quicker than we expected.

So in conclusion, I don't know if the writers of the negative reviews are just harder to please or maybe the ship responded to the criticism and turned things around but It was one of the best cruises we've had. Of course, the friends or family that accompany you help make the cruise enjoyable. We had a great group. As far as excursions. In Freeport, Don't waste money on the "Balmoral beach day". You can go to a free beach not far from the ship.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me at my email address - LORRICHIO@AOL.COM

thanks for the review, going in may can't wait!!!

We are going to Balmoral for a dolphin excursion - my fiance's kids are doing the Balmoral beach day because they aren't interested in getting to meet a dolphin; I wonder if we should cancel rhe beach day and direct them towards Junkanoo instead?

Thanks for the review, sailing the Splendor 3 months.

Is the "free beach" you are referring to Junkanoo?

Anyone walk to Junkanoo and is it relatively safe for 2 women to walk alone?

Yes it is safe. I've often jogged there and back. There will be many fellow cruisers.

Thanks for your review. We are sailing the Splendor in August, my sister's family and mine. I'm so glad to hear someone say the crew is keeping the ship clean, especially in the Lido buffet where passengers can be at their worst. I can't wait to sail, August cannot get here quick enough with this everlasting winter we are having.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app