Do all bringing wine on board need to check in togeter?

petlover

On our 7 day Alaska family cruise there will be 6 adults, each entitled to 1 bottle of wine BUT we are the ones transporting the wine since they are flying with only carry on. Our flights arrive different times so we will not be checking in together. The 3 confirmations are linked together (though all 3 cabins were paid by my husband and I). Can we bring the 6 bottles on by showing the 3 confirmations showing there are 6 adults?

Thank you from a Princess newbie.

We always have 1 bottle of wine each. But, that's a good question... I would like to know the answer as well. I would say probably won't be allowed, but I'm sure a more seasoned cruiser will answer it!!

Pam...I spoke to Princess last night. They told me we could bring 4 bottles on board...and we would have to pay corkage for the 3rd and 4th bottle OR ANYTHING THAT GOES TO THE RESTAURANT. I said to the guy "are you sure?"...it won't be confiscated? He said absolutely sure! Now I'm getting concerned. Please advise

I just checked with Princess again. We may bring 4 bottles of wine...the two bottles of wine for our cabin are free. The 2 bottles of wine for the dining room each have a $15 corkage fee. We may not bring anything larger than 750 ml. That's what I thought they said last night...but I had to confirm it.

Pam...I spoke to Princess last night. They told me we could bring 4 bottles on board...and we would have to pay corkage for the 3rd and 4th bottle OR ANYTHING THAT GOES TO THE RESTAURANT. I said to the guy "are you sure?"...it won't be confiscated? He said absolutely sure! Now I'm getting concerned. Please advise

That makes sense. Assuming there are two adults in the cabin, your first two bottles are no charge but, they are only for consumption in the cabin. Additional bottles brought on board by people in your cabin are allowed as long as the corkage fee of $15 each is paid. Bottles on which the corkage fee have been paid are allowed anywhere on the ship. What has not been said is you can bring on even more bottles than the third or fourth, as long as you pay corkage. Also if you want to take your initial two bottles outside the cabin, they'll require a corkage fee as well.

Confiscation comes about for beer and spirits. Princess does not make an allowance for those items. I suppose if you refused to pay corkage on wine in excess of the free allowance, that could be confiscated as well.

There is endless speculation and "what ifs" when bringing wine onboard. After reading dozens and dozens and dozens of topics here on this topic, the only given is that you have no idea what will happen until you are there. The rules are clearly written but very frequently not followed to the letter by Princess staff when boarding.

In one week from today we will be boarding with 6 bottles between the two of us. We will be staying onboard for three B2B's. If directed to the "wine table" we will show our boarding passes for three cruises and I suspect most likely we will be sent on our way to our room with our wine. If not we will offer that they can hold four bottles for us to collect on the next cruises which may work. And we may lose four bottles never to be seen again.

To the OP I would say take the six bottles, explain the situation and if that doesn't work leave four bottles with them and attempt to reclaim them when all six of you can go to the desk on boarding day.

There are the rules and there is common sense. If you are polite and friendly I find that in most cases they are reasonable in whatever you are doing onboard, not just wine.

This discussion is based on bringing wine onboard for consumption in private, not public areas of the ship. If you are willing to pay the reasonable $15 corkage fee you can likely bring a pallet of wine onboard with you. Many have reported bringing a case or even more, paying the corkage and having an enjoyable cruise!

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

We are on the Ruby this Saturday and plan on bringing a case with us. Have no problem paying the corkage and am happy to do so as we are bringing wines from our cellar.

Since we are flying, we use this: http://www.thewinecheck.com.

Can I give the case to the porters and assume that whomever scans the case will just add the corkage fee to our account and deliver to our cabin? Or with this mean a trip to the Naughty Room?

Or will I have to take the case through security and go to the corkage table and take the case to our cabin ourselves?

In one week from today we will be boarding with 6 bottles between the two of us. We will be staying onboard for three B2B's. If directed to the "wine table" we will show our boarding passes for three cruises and I suspect most likely we will be sent on our way to our room with our wine. If not we will offer that they can hold four bottles for us to collect on the next cruises which may work. And we may lose four bottles never to be seen again.

Terry

On a B2B out of FLL last month, they held our additional 2 bottles of wine. They gave us a receipt with our name, cabin number, number of bottles, name of the wine, and vintage. On the last evening of the first cruise, the bottles were delivered to our cabin. Make sure you bring your additional boarding passes - our 5 and 4 day cruises were also sold as a single 9 day cruise and passengers booking it as a single cruise were only allowed 1 bottle each.

We are on the Ruby this Saturday and plan on bringing a case with us. Have no problem paying the corkage and am happy to do so as we are bringing wines from our cellar.

Since we are flying, we use this: www.thewinecheck.com.

Can I give the case to the porters and assume that whomever scans the case will just add the corkage fee to our account and deliver to our cabin? Or with this mean a trip to the Naughty Room?

Or will I have to take the case through security and go to the corkage table and take the case to our cabin ourselves?

Since the new instructions plastered all over your boarding pass state it should be carried on, if I had a case I would carry it through security. I wouldn't want to risk an over zealous employee deciding I wasn't following instructions and then never see the wine again.

On our 7 day Alaska family cruise there will be 6 adults, each entitled to 1 bottle of wine BUT we are the ones transporting the wine since they are flying with only carry on. Our flights arrive different times so we will not be checking in together. The 3 confirmations are linked together (though all 3 cabins were paid by my husband and I). Can we bring the 6 bottles on by showing the 3 confirmations showing there are 6 adults?

I think you all are missing the point of what the OP is asking.

She wants to know if she can carry in bottles of wine for family members who have cabins linked to theirs, since everyone is coming in at different times. She wants to know if she can bring the extra bottles by showing that the cabins were linked together when booked?

Don't ask more questions about your trip - start your own thread rather than hijacking this one. They know there is a corkage fee, etc. Lets keep it to helping the OP with her question.

There is endless speculation and "what ifs" when bringing wine onboard. After reading dozens and dozens and dozens of topics here on this topic, the only given is that you have no idea what will happen until you are there.

Terry

As I said here, I don't think anyone can say what will happen. Princess doesn't have a published rule for this scenario.

I don't think anyone hijacked the discussion. If only exact answers guaranteed to be correct for the situation were allowed here, the OP would still be waiting for the first reply to this question.

Personally I would like to see all of the alcohol threads merged into one big discussion and made sticky on page 1. No need to start individual topics for every new question about alcohol which invariably all come down to the same answers. That way someone with a question about bringing alcohol onboard would see the sticky discussion and can start reading and likely come to the same conclusion as I posted above without having to go through this exercise every other day.

There are the Princess rules and there is what really happens in each individual case. All you can do is get onboard and let us know how it went when you are back home.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

Can we bring the 6 bottles on by showing the 3 confirmations showing there are 6 adults?

I would think NOT. The check in staff doesn't know that those people you are waiting for won't be carrying their own wine. Showing them paper work doesn't mean anything.

Either wait for them to check in and hand off the bottles for them to carry or be ready to pay the $15 per bottle above your allowed two. May or may not be worth it. Certainly not worth it to carry on some generic $15 bottle of wine as you'll find wines onboard for $30.

Personally I wouldn't bother.

I carried four bottles - one for me, wife, daughter and son (over 18). I was the first thru the scanner and was told to go to the table. They would not check me off until everyone came to the table.

This was our experience too. Last summer we sailed with my mother and aunt. We took a total of 6 bottles. They waited until we were all at the table and wanted to see everyone's boarding pass to confirm that we got 4 free bottles. We paid the corkage fee on the extra 2.

Also, each adult does not have to actually be carrying the bottles, as someone implied. If you are there as a group, and one person is carrying all the bottles, they will just confirm all the people in the group.

I get a bonus this year. We are planning to take my teen/adult kids. We can take a "free" bottle for my 21 year old son, but he doesn't drink wine, so I don't have to share it with him. BTW, I'm pretty sure the age for bringing on a bottle is 21, not 18 as stated above.

Personally I would like to see all of the alcohol threads merged into one big discussion and made sticky on page 1. No need to start individual topics for every new question about alcohol which invariably all come down to the same answers. That way someone with a question about bringing alcohol onboard would see the sticky discussion and can start reading and likely come to the same conclusion as I posted above without having to go through this exercise every other day.

There are the Princess rules and there is what really happens in each individual case. All you can do is get onboard and let us know how it went when you are back home.

Terry

Hear, hear! I agree with Terry.

Also, each adult does not have to actually be carrying the bottles, as someone implied. If you are there as a group, and one person is carrying all the bottles, they will just confirm all the people in the group.

Yes, all they need to see is a bottle number matching the number of adults. Doesn't matter who is doing the "work" carrying.;) Nor who actually drinks it. Paperwork won't do it.

If by the way, the op tries the paperwork routine, I hope they come back to report how it went. If successful, it will open a new bag of tricks for those looking for a way around the newer policy. ;)

Edited by eandj

BTW, I'm pretty sure the age for bringing on a bottle is 21, not 18 as stated above.

I wasn't stating that the drinking age was 18, they are 23 and 26 - just meant they were not teenagers or younger

The staff at the table had papers and did mark down our staterooms. So really don't know if people actually have to be present - I would guess YES. Maybe they would hold the bottles for them but I would not take any chances.

Just wait for them or tell them to have their taxi stop at a liquor store.

If you don't want to pay the corkage fees, you and your friends should meet up and board together. That's what I'd do if at all possible. :)

Since three different flights are involved, waiting for the last couple to arrive could mean waiting for hours at the pier in order to go through the process together.

Edited by caribill

Since three different flights are involved, waiting for the last couple to arrive could mean waiting for hours at the pier in order to go through the process together.

Then maybe they should all pack their own wine, or the OP can pay the corkage for them?

eandj,

I am not a wine snob, most $10 wine is fine by me, but surely a $15 bottle plus $15 corkage is a much better wine than Princess $30?

I only took a superficial glance but the Princess $29 bottle was $7 at Total Wine.

Having said this, I agree, unless it is a really special wine it is hardly worth it to stop at wine store etc.