fort lauderdale or miami airport

cruise fairy

Which airport would be best to fly into for a cruise leaving from Fort Lauderdale? I 've heard alot of negative comments about FLL airport, so wondered if Miami would be better since it is only about a 30 minute drive to Fort Lauderdale.

We flew into Lauderdale one time a couple of years ago and didn't think it was that bad, but we were so excited about the cruise we didn't care at the time. Never flown into Miami, so have no idea what it is like.

Ideas anyone?

IMO - FLL is the better choice. Also, where I live, FLL is a much cheaper option then Miami and it is much closer to the port. While FLL can be a zoo on cruise days, Miami is not any better and can sometimes be worse.

Fort Lauderdale's airport has spent a lot of $$$ the past couple of years improving the airpport and it shows.

With FLL being sooooo close to the port, in my opinion it's the better choice. Getting in and out of Miami can at times be a hassle and then you have occassional traffic to beat...although on SAT and SUN traffic should not be a problem...but in south FL anything can happen and often does.

FLL all the way. We've flown in and out of there a lot and don't have any problems with it. We also use Miami and the traffic around it can be a nightmare though we've never had any problems with the airport itself. We tend to use FLL and MIA as our airports rather than Fort Myers as the better deals seem to be out of the other two for us when we travel.

Agree with the rest - FLL. I have family in Miami and even I will opt to use FLL whenever I can. MIA can be crazy and has much more international traffic than FLL, so things can get kind of nuts at times. One thing to check, however - sometimes there is a fairly significant price difference between the 2 airports, so check your airfares before you book. A few times, the fare has made the decision for me :)

I'm not sure what problems people have encountered but we've flown into Ft Lauderdale a dozen times with no problems. Sure its busy on weekends when lots of cruise ships are in town. It is less than a 10 minute cab ride to the cruise port, $10 cab rides are plentiful. It would cost much more and take at least an hour to take a cab from Miami's airport. Go for Ft Lauderdale

Which airport would be best to fly into for a cruise leaving from Fort Lauderdale? I 've heard alot of negative comments about FLL airport, so wondered if Miami would be better since it is only about a 30 minute drive to Fort Lauderdale.

We flew into Lauderdale one time a couple of years ago and didn't think it was that bad, but we were so excited about the cruise we didn't care at the time. Never flown into Miami, so have no idea what it is like.

Ideas anyone?

If your cruise leaves from FLL I would look into a flight into FLL. FLL is a smaller airport but it isnt bad. It is much more convenient just to fly in and out of FLL for you.

(*Personally I like MIA but in your case I choose FLL*)

Fort Lauderdale...Hands Down.... you are a hop skip and a jump to the port...besides, most people speak english at the Fort Lauderdale Airport!!

Just out of curiosity, are there reasonably priced shuttle services to the Miami port from Fort Lauderdale Airport?

Seems it would be a lot cheaper to fly into Fort Lauderdale, but the cruise is leaving from Miami.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived