How will I get Champagne on the ship?

jburke1566

I am flying to Fort Lauderdale, jumping on a shuttle and going straight to the port in Miami. I can't carry on a bottle of champagne on the plane. Any ideas on how I can manage getting a bottle on the ship in this situation? I'm sure there are no handy dandy liquor stores within walking distance of the port in Miami. :(

Maybe the shuttle driver would stop somewhere, if the other passengers don't mind. (I had a shuttle driver stop for other passengers in our van.)

You're correct...nothing within walking distance of the port.

Otherwise, you can order a bottle through Bon Voyage which would be delivered to your cabin. Or order it once you get on the ship.

You can pack a bottle in your checked luggage when you fly, remove it and put it in your carry-on before you get to the port.

How did I forget about this method???

We've done this before. We use bubble wrap.

1. Pack in checked luggage

2. Google your airport. Maybe there is someplace past security where you can buy what you want. Then you can carry on airplane.

3. Bon Voyage.

I seriously doubt that you would find a store within the airport that sells champagne. It's not exactly a big seller. I agree with the others about ordering a bottle through the Bon Voyage dept. and having it delivered to your cabin, unless you're after a specific brand that can only be purchased on land somewhere.

I thought there were still restrictions on how much liquid you could bring on board a flight. I'm in the same situation, except we are taking a cab to the port. I was planning on having them stop at a grocery on the way so I could pick up a bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I thought there were still restrictions on how much liquid you could bring on board a flight. I'm in the same situation, except we are taking a cab to the port. I was planning on having them stop at a grocery on the way so I could pick up a bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The restriction only applies to carry-on, not checked luggage. Yes, the restriction for carry-on is 3 ounces, but who ever heard of a 3 ounce bottle of champagne? It would hardly be worth having.:rolleyes::D

Champagne is about 12-14 % alcohol so there shouldn't be any problem. The flavored vodkas and rums are usually right at 70%. So you wouldn't have a problem packing it in checked luggage.

Most vodka is 80 proof (40%).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by ml427

I've used ALL these methods

- checked luggage on plane switch to carry on for ship

- ask cab or shuttle to stop at Walgreens (very quick run in while meter running)

- asked roll call peeps to be a wine/champagne mule

- ordered bon voyage

any will work . . .

I've used ALL these methods

- checked luggage on plane switch to carry on for ship

- ask cab or shuttle to stop at Walgreens (very quick run in while meter running)

- asked roll call peeps to be a wine/champagne mule

- ordered bon voyage

any will work . . .

I too have done all these except for ordering from bon voyage because it's more expensive than I would like.

Here's a tip...it you do decide to put a bottle of champagne in your luggage wrapped in bubble wrap...be sure to then put it in a plastic zip-loc bag so if it should break it won't leak onto your clothing. Also check out grocery or wine/liquor stores as they usually sell special cases that you can blow up and insert the bottle in for packing.

I hope you have an awesome cruise!

Most vodka is 80 proof (40%).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You are correct. I meant Proof not %. I own liquor stores and it was an honest mistake. I know better. But still the flavored Vodkas & Rums are still about 70 proof or less due to the sugar content and flavorings added to them. It lowers the proof. My point was that Champagne is MUCH lower than hard alcohol and the OP would be just fine packing it in their checked luggage.

... My point was that Champagne is MUCH lower than hard alcohol and the OP would be just fine packing it in their checked luggage.

Why do you think you cannot pack hard alcohol in your checked luggage? Not trying to start a fight. I'm just wondering if there's something new I'm not aware of.

How else are you supposed to get the alcohol home that you buy while on your cruise?

Edited by rudechuck

Why do you think you cannot pack hard alcohol in your checked luggage? Not trying to start a fight. I'm just wondering if there's something new I'm not aware of.

How else are you supposed to get the alcohol home that you buy while on your cruise?

I'm wondering the same thing. I've flown plenty, most often from Italy to NYC with hard liquor in checked luggage, and never thought twice, never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My original point was that Champagne is way below the acceptable level of alcohol content to be transported in checked luggage.

I too don't want a 'fight' about this subject. Lets make a truce.

But if you buy booze in port or on the ship it is delivered to you in boxes AFTER your luggage has been put out the last night of the cruise. Since I have no need to purchase liquor on a cruise I have never had to deal with toting it home. My souvenirs are usually worn off the ship in the form of jewelry. I see people carrying those 6 bottle boxes all the time. I'm sure thay are not being stuffed in their luggage.

When you get to the port on the shuttle (or before you leave on the shuttle) transfer the bottle from your checked luggage to carry on. If the shuttle takes the luggage you can do it when you get to the port before you let the porters take your checked luggage. Just let them know you need to get something out of the bag before they take it.