Passport or ID Card for travel to Canada/Mexico

elcydcruiser

Has anyone gotten a new US Passport that included an ID type card to use in lieu of your Passport to travel to Canada or Mexico? We're getting ready for a Princess Pacific Coastal...and one of our group wants to carry the ID card instead of the Passport. Can she use the ID card for check-in process (Port of LA) ?

Has anyone gotten a new US Passport that included an ID type card to use in lieu of your Passport to travel to Canada or Mexico? We're getting ready for a Princess Pacific Coastal...and one of our group wants to carry the ID card instead of the Passport. Can she use the ID card for check-in process (Port of LA) ?

Quickly found in a Google search: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/card.html

Since the cruise ends in Vancouver, a Passport Card is sufficient to re-enter the US by road, rail, or water. A full US Passport is required to board a US-bound flight departing from Canada.

Keep in mind if an unexpected situation or emergency requires a quick departure from Vancouver it will be very difficult to fly out without a full passport. At least it's easy to return to the US by land, unlike points farther north on Alaska cruises.

If your friend plans to fly out of YVR she is running out of time to get a Passport, and may need to pay the "up" charge for expedited processing. The same applies if she doesn't have a passport card already...and check the expiration date vs. Canadian requirements. The passport card is declining in usefulness...encourage her to get a Passport so she has it for future cruises!

Princess may have their own policy on this. Best to call them and ask, or inquire on the Princess forum. Let us know the outcome.

Edited by kenish

I am not familiar with the product you describe, perhaps you could provide a link to it. There is a "Passport Card" which is and entirely different document then then a passport and to my knowledge is not issued with a passport. The Passport Card may be used when entering and leaving the US from Canada and Mexico at land and sea border points but can not be used for flying. So if you are referring to the Passport Card, it may be used for the cruise you describe as long as you are not flying home from Canada.

Sorry...thought you were on the LA-Vancouver cruise. :)

My earlier comments about the limitations of a Passport Card are still good to keep in mind. If the unexpected happens (need to leave the cruise and fly from Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean) or miss the ship in Florida and need to catch up by air, the limitations of a PC become a major problem.

Encourage your friend to get a full PP when her card expires, or if this is her first purchase.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a friend who did this on a Hawaii cruise that began in San Diego stopped in Ensenada back to San Diego. It was fine however when we checked in and he presented the ID card we had to explain what it was and they acted like they had never seen this before.. Several supervisors had to look and approve. So long and short is yes friend will be fine as long as there is no flying into or out of non US city. Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I understand it, the passport CARDS (and "enhanced" driver's licenses, etc.) are intended primarily for COMMUTERS who make frequent land trips back and forth over the border. They are of much less use to TRAVELERS who only cross the border occasionally. And I believe they are of no use if you need to fly.

As I understand it, the passport CARDS (and "enhanced" driver's licenses, etc.) are intended primarily for COMMUTERS who make frequent land trips back and forth over the border. They are of much less use to TRAVELERS who only cross the border occasionally. And I believe they are of no use if you need to fly.

The cards ARE for commuters. Nonetheless, given all the various interpretations by non-government officials on CC of what are the interpretations by various government officials of the rules of other countries' government officials (whose interpretations may be different), the only logical thing is to get a passport and cross that worry off your list.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our friends have have sailed the 3/4 day cruises many times with only the Passport Card.

Ensenada is only 75 or so miles south of the border. If something happpened they would be able to drive.

Edited by SadieN

The cards ARE for commuters. Nonetheless, given all the various interpretations by non-government officials on CC of what are the interpretations by various government officials of the rules of other countries' government officials (whose interpretations may be different), the only logical thing is to get a passport and cross that worry off your list.

You might want to read official government documentation before giving incorrect information. Passport cards certainly are good for certain cruises, including the one being discussed in this thread.

From the State Department, no interpretation required:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/card.html

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

You might want to read official government documentation before giving incorrect information. Passport cards certainly are good for certain cruises, including the one being discussed in this thread.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/card.html

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

What the US or any other government says (this year or this week) is not the issue. Somewhat like TWICs for personnel, passport cards were catalyzed by the need to accommodate workers. Mea Culpa in that I left out the word "primarily" for commuters.

Nonetheless, passports guard against most changes in, or misinterpretations of regulations by agencies one may encounter or, perhaps more stringent ID requirements by non-air transporters (including any cruise lines choosing to require it - today, tomorrow, next week or next year..

And if you don't think that the rules can change quickly, please know that in the latter part of the last decade, within 24 hours of the US requiring that all foreign merchant seamen now needed visas, the PRC enacted that very same requirement. In one case, that meant a US maritime academy ship headed to China with more than 350 aboard encountered a monumental disembarkation snafu.

Of course, a cruise ship is a different set of circumstances. But, if I was relying on any entity other than myself to get me across a border,, I'm taking the other kind of "trip insurance," a US passport.

What the US or any other government says (this year or this week) is not the issue. Somewhat like TWICs for personnel, passport cards were catalyzed by the need to accommodate workers. Mea Culpa in that I left out the word "primarily" for commuters.

Nonetheless, passports guard against most changes in, or misinterpretations of regulations by agencies one may encounter or, perhaps more stringent ID requirements by non-air transporters (including any cruise lines choosing to require it - today, tomorrow, next week or next year..

And if you don't think that the rules can change quickly, please know that in the latter part of the last decade, within 24 hours of the US requiring that all foreign merchant seamen now needed visas, the PRC enacted that very same requirement. In one case, that meant a US maritime academy ship headed to China with more than 350 aboard encountered a monumental disembarkation snafu.

Of course, a cruise ship is a different set of circumstances. But, if I was relying on any entity other than myself to get me across a border,, I'm taking the other kind of "trip insurance," a US passport.

The passport card rules haven't changed in the nearly six years since they were introduced. The closed loop cruise rules allowing the use of a birth certificate and photo ID haven't changed in the 5 years since they were introduced.

Citing something that happened with merchant seamen years ago is a red herring. (even you admit a cruise ship is a different set of circumstances)

The rule making process is slow. Short of some extreme national emergency we'll be given plenty of notice about impending rule changes.

A passport card is fine for a closed-loop cruise, but several issues to keep in mind:

- PP card isn't valid for international air travel or to enter countries in other parts of the world. If that's hopefully in future travel plans, you will need a full PP anyway.

- If you miss the ship in a US port and the next port is foreign, the airlines will not allow you to board a "catch up" flight with a PP card. (e.g. Florida sailing and the next port is Nassau). There's no certainty you will board the ship at the foreign port, so airlines must assume you will fly back and hence need a full PP. There are posts on this board now and then where this happens...one person followed up that TI wouldn't reimburse them due to lack of proper documentation for the trip and contingencies.

- If a medical or family emergency requires flying home from a foreign port, you're out of luck with a PP card. It may take a few days of trouble and expense to get temporary documents, even out of Canada.

These risks may be acceptable or N/A but it should be an informed risk.