Does RCI 'Dynamic Dining' = 'Freestyle 3.0'?

helpthejuggler

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantu...g/restaurants/

RCI 'Dynamic Dining' announced for Quantum and Anthem may interest many NCL fans. It seems like they have copied NCL and even taken the next step with no MDR at all and taken 'freestyle' to the next level.

Does this appeal to you and/or define the new that might be seen on Norwegian Escape?

I like it.

Edited by helpthejuggler

Seems like they've definitely taken a page from NCL's book, but I'm not sure what makes this 'the next level'?

Seems to me this is pretty much exactly what NCL currently does: there are a number of complimentary restaurants and a number of specialty restaurants with a fee. You can eat at them whenever you want an with whomever you want.

The collaboration with the top chefs, however, is something that NCL doesn't have unless I'm mistaken.

I really like the idea of dining in a different venue every evening, just like you might do if you were visiting a city for a week and trying out different restaurants. The key, I think, is variety of the food and the setting, so that you really feel like you're in another place.

I'm very curious if NCL will respond to this in some way.

Edited by WouterC

I'd forgotten 'F3'.

The lack of a specific MDR is a big step for RCI so I suggested the future direction for Freestyle.

I can see why the new RCI dining might appeal to NCL passengers.

A suite only venue is taking a page from the NCL book.

A designated formal restaurant is something that doesn't fit with NCL.

Edited by helpthejuggler

Manhattan room is not what I would consider "formal" They strongly discourage shorts and tank tops, but you can still wear jeans and such if you like. Most people choose to dress a bit more than they would in Taste and Savor, but there is by no means a "formal" requirement in there.

I think having a formal option for those that so choose it is a good idea, whether NCL chooses to do that or not, doesn't affect me either way. We did dress up the one night the kids chose to go to Manhattan room. That's why we like NCL, you can do whatever you feel the need to do. We didn't feel out of place by dressing up nor did we get the feeling those who didn't dress "up" were out of place either.

I think RCI is trying to be competitive with its new ships. My daughter and I were just discussing how the one dining room with a set table on Royal was very blah and just not a good idea. Many choose to go to the buffet for that reason alone. If you get stuck near a rowdy table, you are stuck for the duration of the cruise that way. Not the best plan IMHO.

I did look at the Oasis, since it will be home ported in NJ, however, the cost for an inside (even with that really cool virtual balcony idea) is higher than a balcony on NCL, so I opted not to try it out. Maybe if they lower the price we will try, especially since they are trying out this new dining idea. I think that is the hope, people will be more tempted with the new options.

RCI 'Dynamic Dining' announced for Quantum and Anthem may interest many NCL fans. It seems like they have copied NCL and even taken the next step with no MDR at all and taken 'freestyle' to the next level.

Does this appeal to you and/or define the new that might be seen on Norwegian Escape?

I like it.

Without question. On NCL the MDR's, even if there are several, all server the same dishes. This new RCCL dining has 5 included "MDR's" each with a distinct concept. They all server different dishes without an upcharge. This increase in dining options is what NCL needs. Make Taste and Savor distinctly different. Increase the number of nightly specials, and reduce the fixed menu in these establishments. The number of included options on the Quantum is amazing. NCL would be wise to learn from this. In my opinion this takes Freestyle well beyond what NCL has started.

6&8

Manhattan room is not what I would consider "formal" They strongly discourage shorts and tank tops, but you can still wear jeans and such if you like.

When we were on it a few months ago they were not allowing people in. The dress code was strictly enforced.

I like it.

This is definitely a page for NCL book, but just a little tweeked by having one of the restaurants formal every night. It will be very interesting to see the competition between QOS and the Breakaway. However, IMO the two factors that will sway the bookings will be the itinerary and the price of the cruise.

Without question. On NCL the MDR's, even if there are several, all server the same dishes. This new RCCL dining has 5 included "MDR's" each with a distinct concept. They all server different dishes without an upcharge. This increase in dining options is what NCL needs. Make Taste and Savor distinctly different. Increase the number of nightly specials, and reduce the fixed menu in these establishments. The number of included options on the Quantum is amazing. NCL would be wise to learn from this. In my opinion this takes Freestyle well beyond what NCL has started.

6&8

I think you are saying what I'm guessing NCL must be thinking. The bar has been raised, so now it's NCL turn strike back, and I'm sure they most likely will. (If their smart).

6&8

This...

So well stated.

RCCL has taken the original NCL concept and improved upon the idea.

Bill

Without question. On NCL the MDR's, even if there are several, all server the same dishes. This new RCCL dining has 5 included "MDR's" each with a distinct concept. They all server different dishes without an upcharge. This increase in dining options is what NCL needs. Make Taste and Savor distinctly different. Increase the number of nightly specials, and reduce the fixed menu in these establishments.

I hope NCL does listen. I think it is a big mistake of RCI to accept reservations in those venues but making the three MDR really distinct is something NCL should seriously consider for their Breakaway(+) class ships.

I agree, I hate feeling like I need to make reservations months in advance. But if they don't take them, people will complain. So they're between a rock and a hard place. Hopefully they only take a small percentage of available seating for reservations. Thankfully we normally eat early so its not usually a big deal for us. I also hope with all the different options there isn't a giant jam in the MDRs like there is on the Breakaway and having to wait two hours for a table some nights because that is unacceptable IMO

6&8

Yes, I guess you are right, well explained. And I think it would be a mistake for

NCL not to respond to this.

6&8

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9195 met Tapatalk

I hope NCL does listen. I think it is a big mistake of RCI to accept reservations in those venues but making the three MDR really distinct is something NCL should seriously consider for their Breakaway(+) class ships.

RCI AOS already takes reservations on the MTD floor. But you can book same day. Months ahead booking seems barmy.

The Epic onwards is Freestyle 3.0 (it was originally codenamed the F3)

Is that the Freestyle with the complimentary glass of champagne on boarding? Or was that Freestyle 2.0, of which Freestyle 3.0 was an improvement? :eek:

Is that the Freestyle with the complimentary glass of champagne on boarding? Or was that Freestyle 2.0, of which Freestyle 3.0 was an improvement? :eek:

Sparkling wine upon boarding (most of which was wasted) was part of Freestyle 2.0.

Sparkling wine upon boarding (most of which was wasted) was part of Freestyle 2.0.

So going by this logic, when Freestyle 4.0 arrives, we'll all be getting Kir Royale? :)

Edited by WouterC