Quantum itineraries - you guys really like them?

I'm curious. We've cruised out of Cape Liberty before, in the fall. First night was cold as was the first day until around 1PM or so. I can't imagine, even if I lived in that area spending the money they're asking to cruise on an itinerary like this in the dead of winter

20-Feb Cape Liberty, New Jersey 5:00 PM

21-Feb Cruising

22-Feb Cruising

23-Feb Cruising

24-Feb Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas 8:00 AM 7:00 PM Docked

25-Feb San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00 AM 3:00 PM Docked

26-Feb Labadee, Haiti 9:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

27-Feb Cruising

28-Feb Cruising

01-Mar Cape Liberty, New Jersey 8:00 AM

or this

13-Feb Cape Liberty, New Jersey 5:00 PM

14-Feb Cruising

15-Feb Port Canaveral, Florida 1:00 PM 11:00 PM Docked

16-Feb Nassau, Bahamas 2:00 PM 11:59 PM Docked

17-Feb CocoCay, Bahamas 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Tendered

18-Feb Cruising

19-Feb Cruising

20-Feb Cape Liberty, New Jersey 8:00 AM

You're going to spend 5 days at sea on the first one and probably spend 2 of those days inside trying to stay warm (maybe 3 days). The second cruise in Winter is going to be a cold one too for the first day and central Florida can be chilly in the Winter.

I guess I don't get it. I know its a new ship and all with some neat stuff (bumper cars? I don't get the draw on that one) but I don't get the appeal of those itineraries. FIVE days at sea? Not to mention the prices. For the money they're asking for those cruises you could fly to south Florida, take a nice beach day and do a cruise on the Freedom or Indy and enjoy the heat and sun the entire time.

What am I missing here?

I suppose they are selling is as the ship is the destination and anything else is a bonus. Also for some, the temperatures would still be better than if they were at home. As for the price, it is the reason I have not chosen Anthem (I live in the UK) for my next year's cruise due to the prices. I will wait for a couple of years and then see what happens.

I'm curious. We've cruised out of Cape Liberty before, in the fall. First night was cold as was the first day until around 1PM or so. I can't imagine, even if I lived in that area spending the money they're asking to cruise on an itinerary like this in the dead of winter

21-Feb Cruising

22-Feb Cruising

23-Feb Cruising

27-Feb Cruising

28-Feb Cruising

or this

14-Feb Cruising

18-Feb Cruising

19-Feb Cruising

You're going to spend 5 days at sea on the first one and probably spend 2 of those days inside trying to stay warm (maybe 3 days). The second cruise in Winter is going to be a cold one too for the first day and central Florida can be chilly in the Winter.

I guess I don't get it. I know its a new ship and all with some neat stuff (bumper cars? I don't get the draw on that one) but I don't get the appeal of those itineraries. FIVE days at sea? Not to mention the prices. For the money they're asking for those cruises you could fly to south Florida, take a nice beach day and do a cruise on the Freedom or Indy and enjoy the heat and sun the entire time.

What am I missing here?

Actually I do not like the itinerary..........I already booked the 9 days and still rethinking of rebooking another one.....there is to much sea days......We had Samana included in that cruise and they removed it.............Hopefully they will replace that port...........We are n the waiting mode right now...........:rolleyes:

Edited by DANtheFIREMAN

These ships were designed for cold weather. Almost all of the public space is indoors, including having an inside all-ages pool for the first time. That's also why they have the indoor SeaPlex on Quantum instead of an outdoor Boardwalk area like on Oasis.

These ships were designed for cold weather. Almost all of the public space is indoors, including having an inside all-ages pool for the first time. That's also why they have the indoor SeaPlex on Quantum instead of an outdoor Boardwalk area like on Oasis.

an inside all-ages pool. Doesn't sound too appealing I gotta say. Sailing from NJ in February or March, freezing cold outside and trying to cram myself into an inside pool jammed full of people of all ages. Yeah, no thanks.

There aren't too many places the ship can reasonably go to from the northeast. I would much rather sail from my home port than fly. On the 9 day, you get 2 extra days to compensate for the time it takes to get to warmer weather - I would rather spend that time on the ship than traveling to the departure port. As for that 7 day itinerary, we did it on Explorer in January, and I admit it was awful, but it was still one of the most fun we've ever had on a ship. A cruise isn't all about the weather. Our Allure cruise was turned indoors due to hurricane Irene, and some of our other Caribbean cruises were just too hot/humid to spend much time outdoors.

Edited by DonnaK

an inside all-ages pool. Doesn't sound too appealing I gotta say. Sailing from NJ in February or March, freezing cold outside and trying to cram myself into an inside pool jammed full of people of all ages. Yeah, no thanks.

There's also an inside Solarium pool for adults only.

We always cruise in February to get some relief from the NJ cold weather. Booked on the Q for the Feb. 2nd cruise. We chose this 11 nite cruise due to a couple of reasons:

1. The newness and the interesting aspects of the ship.

2. The cost of the 11 nite is costing us the same as a 7 niter out of Fort Lauderdale or San Juan, when one considers higher OBC's, D balcony discounts, no airfare or transport to the pier, and other goodies provided by our TA.

Also, keep in mind that sailing from FL is not always warm and because of the 11 niter we figured that would get approximately the same # of warm days.

Although we've taken cruises in winter out of NYC many many years ago on the Home and Italian lines, this is our first cruise from Bayonne.

I just love being on the ship (any ship) and the Quantum itinerary is an after thought for me. I love days at sea, so these itineraries work just fine for me. Would I like better itineraries? Of course! But, I am a quick 2-hour drive from my door to the ship. Then I am on vacation! I don't care if it is cold when I leave. There is so much to do inside the ship, I appreciate being a captive audience for a day or two! I am not a pool person anyway, so not being able to sit by the pool, has no bearing on my plans. The ship could sit docked in New Jersey for 7 days, but as long as I am ON it, then I am having a good time! :D

Oh, and I got a great price on my balcony cabin on Quantum for Easter Week 2015! Much cheaper than what we would have paid to fly to Florida to board some other ship!

Edited by Bonnie Voyager

21-Feb Cruising

22-Feb Cruising

23-Feb Cruising

27-Feb Cruising

28-Feb Cruising

or this

14-Feb Cruising

18-Feb Cruising

19-Feb Cruising

What am I missing here?

I don't care for them as I will not travel to NY from FL to sail south!

Yep, that's been basically my thought too. Not bashing NJ at all, but unless I'm going on an Alaskan cruise or maybe a TA, I cruise to experience a WARM vacation. The large number of sea days is because it takes that many to get to/from anyplace remotely warm from NJ. I have little desire to fly somewhere a lot COLDER and then spend half of my warm-weather vacation in cold weather. I admit I was surprised when Bayonne was chosen as the home port for Quantum.

Yep, that's been basically my thought too. Not bashing NJ at all, but unless I'm going on an Alaskan cruise or maybe a TA, I cruise to experience a WARM vacation. The large number of sea days is because it takes that many to get to/from anyplace remotely warm from NJ. I have little desire to fly somewhere a lot COLDER and then spend half of my warm-weather vacation in cold weather. I admit I was surprised when Bayonne was chosen as the home port for Quantum.

They had to put Quantum in New Jersey. Somebody stole Explorer!!!!

Elvis

FYI, Some years ago, we took a cruise departing LA on the Vision. I always taught that LA was tepid/warm, however, we were shocked as Pax's were wearing parkas when we left as it was in the mid-40s. On our way to the Mexican Riviera, we did not hit warmth until the 3rd day of our cruise and also lost another day on the return as we approached LA. We promised ourselves that this was the last itinerary that we would take, plus the safety issue at the Mexs ports. Love Cabo and that is about it. Few years later, RCL abandoned LA altogether.

I just love being on the ship (any ship) and the Quantum itinerary is an after thought for me. I love days at sea, so these itineraries work just fine for me. Would I like better itineraries? Of course! But, I am a quick 2-hour drive from my door to the ship. Then I am on vacation! I don't care if it is cold when I leave. There is so much to do inside the ship, I appreciate being a captive audience for a day or two! I am not a pool person anyway, so not being able to sit by the pool, has no bearing on my plans. The ship could sit docked in New Jersey for 7 days, but as long as I am ON it, then I am having a good time! :D

Oh, and I got a great price on my balcony cabin on Quantum for Easter Week 2015! Much cheaper than what we would have paid to fly to Florida to board some other ship!

This is pretty much how I see it (except we are only 20 minutes from port). Happen to love sea days - have often said they could sail ten miles out and drop anchor for all I care. In this case particularly, the ship is really the destination and I'm looking forward to the experience.

Is it lets bash on Quantum of the Sea day ???;)

If i read correctly...there is plenty to do outside the ship.....Including pools....track and all what the other ships are offering ????

220-foot outdoor, poolside movie screen

Adults-only Solarium pool, a glass-canopied retreat*

Indoor pool with retractable roof

Whirlpools

Etc..............:)

Edited by DANtheFIREMAN

Actually I do not like the itinerary..........I already booked the 9 days and still rethinking of rebooking another one.....there is to much sea days......We had Samana included in that cruise and they removed it.............Hopefully they will replace that port...........We are n the waiting mode right now...........:rolleyes:

Dan,

We are on the same sailing on Feb 20th/9-day on Quantum. I really didn't think that the itinerary would make that much difference to me and was pretty open minded about it when they dropped Samana, DR from the itinerary. However, with so much time thinking about it, I am with you... 5 full days at sea with much of it in colder weather, is just too many sea days. Although I love cruising and would rather be on a ship than home, 5 sea days is more of a sea voyage to me. We are waiting for summer 2015 itineraries to come out and will most likely be cancelling the February cruise in place of a nice warm weather summer cruise from Bayonne on Quantum instead. The Dynamic Dining is sinking in and I am getting re-energized about sailing Quantum from our home-port in NJ, but would MUCH rather spend the money to have the kids with us in summer than take a 9-day with only 3 ports in the middle of winter. Decision is pretty much made now, but I just can bring myself to cancel yet... LOL!

We did this itn on the Explorer but it was in Sept. They put the Quantum in there mainly because of the enclosed pool. Explorer is going to Port Canaveral for awhile and then to Asia. i am usually not a foodie but Quantums restaurants sound exciting

Dan,

We are on the same sailing on Feb 20th/9-day on Quantum. I really didn't think that the itinerary would make that much difference to me and was pretty open minded about it when they dropped Samana, DR from the itinerary. However, with so much time thinking about it, I am with you... 5 full days at sea with much of it in colder weather, is just too many sea days. Although I love cruising and would rather be on a ship than home, 5 sea days is more of a sea voyage to me. We are waiting for summer 2015 itineraries to come out and will most likely be cancelling the February cruise in place of a nice warm weather summer cruise from Bayonne on Quantum instead. The Dynamic Dining is sinking in and I am getting re-energized about sailing Quantum from our home-port in NJ, but would MUCH rather spend the money to have the kids with us in summer than take a 9-day with only 3 ports in the middle of winter. Decision is pretty much made now, but I just can bring myself to cancel yet... LOL!

I exactly feel the same.................lol......I will wait a bit too...and see...If Actually they add a new port....I will stick on and enjoy that new way of Dining....;) and I actually like the idea leaving from New jersey for a change..............and the 2 extra days will be just fine to bring us to the hot weather.....I was in the Navy before and i used to sail from Halifax and the next day we were right in the warm zone......

Edited by DANtheFIREMAN

I cancelled my Quantum 3/21/2015 8-day booking because they hadn't yet expanded the itinerary beyond San Juan and 2 days at Labadee. Don't get me wrong the boat looks great, but I look forward much more to my 7 day out of San Juan on the Adventure.

Unless you are new to cruising the cruises out NJ don't (to me) have that interesting of a port selection, unless you sail for more than 8 days.

Now if they would just release the summer 2015 Anthem schedule.... sigh.

I don't care for them as I will not travel to NY from FL to sail south!

I don't blame you and since you live in Florida you have many choices of ports to sail from. We who live in the northeast and don't want to fly have no choice but to sail from these ports. As for the itineraries they are the same old which we've done many times. I wish they would add something new.

Edited by psupa

21-Feb Cruising

22-Feb Cruising

23-Feb Cruising

27-Feb Cruising

28-Feb Cruising

or this

14-Feb Cruising

18-Feb Cruising

19-Feb Cruising

What am I missing here?

I wouldn't sail these itineraries in winter if you paid me. Having just gotten off a ship (Oasis) where the ship is the destination, I'm not too keen on doing that again, and this is exactly what these itineraries represent for me. I'm waiting to see what itineraries it does for the summer, or in lieu of that, Anthem's schedule out of Fort Lauderdale.

Not to mention the cost...yikes...combined with most likely not so good weather.

Just my two cents' worth.

I exactly feel the same.................lol......I will wait a bit too...and see...If Actually they add a new port....I will stick on and enjoy that new way of Dining....;) and I actually like the idea leaving from New jersey for a change..............and the 2 extra days will be just fine to bring us to the hot weather.....I was in the Navy before and i used to sail from Halifax and the next day we were right in the warm zone......

I do believe that RCI is going to do a 'course correction' and fix these winter itineraries at some point before they leave. I think that they figure that they have a lot of time and they have so many things going on that this is not urgent yet. The bigger problem for RCI right now is the Bermuda port and figuring initial itineraries for Summer 2015... as it sounds we probably won't have anything until later this summer, from what we are seeing from posters on the boards. Without being able to go to Bermuda, summer cruising season from the Northeast might get a little hairy.

To the OP's queston - I don't think that anyone is THRILLED with these itineraries - some less disappointed than others, but many look at it as being a new ship with much to see aboard and now more time to experience it all. Not everyone has the same feeling about the ship being a destination - but many really don't care about itinerary.

I believe that some have already cancelled these cruises because of the itineraries because I have seen cabins appear in categories that had been closed previously... and I also think more people are doing the 'wait-and-see' thing, hoping that they will add to the existing itineraries. When the deal with Samana came down and it was pulled from ALL RCCL itineraries, they just removed it and didn't do much else to fill-in the blanks, so to speak.