Upsell Calls?

Classynfun1

Hi everyone!

I've looked around the boards and can't seem to find any posts about people noting that they recieved an upsell call. I think this was somewhat common a couple of years ago. Is this not happening anymore? I can't really believe they would be giving out free upgrades (thought I know that does happen from time to time).

Anyone here recieved (or make themselves) and upsell call? If so, what cabin were you in and what was the offer? Thank you!

I haven't received an upsell call. I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I did, twice, call my TA when I saw that prices had dropped for my cruise after final payment. The first time I got us moved, at no charge, from a C3 to a C2 level cabin. The second time I got us moved to AQ for $200.

I figured the worst they could say was no, and I was pleased to receive the upgrades. It may well be that I could have gotten the exact same (or better) deal if I'd just waited to book, however.

I think that is essentially the same thing. You were proactive and turned it into an upsell call!

A couple of years ago on X, I recieved a call about 2 weeks before my cruise asking if I want to upgrade my cabin and they named a price. This also happened on RCCL (as recently as 6 months ago). I was just interested to see if this was still happening here and no one had posted about it recently.

I monitored the X board before our first cruise with them in February, wondering the same thing. Nobody talked about it, although there was plenty of discussion around free upgrades, mostly wondering how to get one :-). I even asked my TA to call with my cash offer to upgrade to a higher category and the response I got back from X was no thanks even though they had availability at the time. So I think their policy has changed. I would not expect an upsell call from Celebrity. It doesn't seem to be their practice anymore.

Edited by 1cruiselvr

All the lines are so different now! Interesting that they have changed this policy, but they have also changed so many other things I kind of get it too.

RCCL, HAL, and Princess all actively do this via calls AND emails. I know people that only book mini-suites on Princess because they know they will get a "upsell for $299(or whatever price that cruise demands)" email/call. They always accept and have never sailed in less than a suite on Princess. But, that is Princess.

I still love the X product and will continue to sail them. BUT, I will also book after final payment with a TA, because that is how I'm guaranteed to get the cabin I want at the price (and add on) I want to pay! On RCCL, I'm still ok booking way out, though.

Thank you all. :-)

I guess the lines have a direct link to look at our savings account, in 25+ years never had an 'up sell' call.:D

Not a one in 25 years from HAL, RCL, Princess nor X.

I've looked around the boards and can't seem to find any posts about people noting that they received an upsell call. I think this was somewhat common a couple of years ago. Is this not happening anymore?

Classynfun1: not common at all on this board. Perhaps why you haven't seen any posts until you started this thread. ;)

Not a one in 25 years from HAL, RCL, Princess nor X.

Classynfun1: not common at all on this board. Perhaps why you haven't seen any posts until you started this thread. ;)

Not only are the not common but its rare on this board to see the word upsell, we usually refer to upgrade. I know when someone says that they usually frequent another line.

I've never received one either. Did get one on free upgrade to a CS on arrival once though. I'm guessing they receive so many calls REQUESTING upgrades that they don't really need to call anyone that often. I'm sure its a rare occurence to have them soliciting upgrades like they used to 5 or so years ago

Edited by johhnnyt

I am a recently retired travel agent.

Up sell calls, meaning a call to offer a higher category for more money, is typically a Carnival and Holland America thing. Carnival is typically done by the PVP's and more a marketing thing to their direct sales client rather than a real deal. I don't recall Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Princess doing it. MSC has also done it. Holland's calls are typically good deals.

Edited by rjg41

Not only are the not common but its rare on this board to see the word upsell, we usually refer to upgrade. I know when someone says that they usually frequent another line.

To my mind, an upSELL is if the cruise line contacts you and asks if you would like to change to a higher class cabin for an additional amount. An upGRADE is if they change you to a higher class cabin than you booked for no additional cost-- AKA "a visit from the Upgrade Fairy".

You can also upgrade yourself to a higher class cabin, paying the same amount, less (if before final payment), or more. Since no one is contacting you to sell you something, it's not really proper to refer to that as an upsell.

It's also not correct to refer to a higher class of cabin one receives than one was expecting as a result of a GTY booking as an upgrade-- just luck of the draw.

Edited by PartyAllDaTyme

Well, my status is highest on Celebrity (and therefore, RCCL of course) of all the lines I cruise, meaning it is where I have most of my cruise knowledge. I have gotten an upsell call on X before, but that was a few years ago. It may be other line's terminology, but I discern upgrade as free and upsell as in paid, hence why I even brought it up! :D lol

Based on the info here, I was able to call and finagle my way into an upsell today. Well, rather, my TA did. Very happy with the price and the cabin.

Thanks for the input, all!

To my mind, an upSELL is if the cruise line contacts you and asks if you would like to change to a higher class cabin for an additional amount. An upGRADE is if they change you to a higher class cabin than you booked for no additional cost-- AKA "a visit from the Upgrade Fairy".

You can also upgrade yourself to a higher class cabin, paying the same amount, less (if before final payment), or more. Since no one is contacting you to sell you something, it's not really proper to refer to that as an upsell.

It's also not correct to refer to a higher class of cabin one receives than one was expecting as a result of a GTY booking as an upgrade-- just luck of the draw.

I only brought it up because if you do a search on this board with the word upsell I doubt it will come up very often as the word is not used that often on this board. Perhaps it is because Celebrity rarely does it. I did a search and the only time the word showed up was in this thread.

Edited by dkjretired

I only brought it up because if you do a search on this board with the word upsell I doubt it will come up very often as the word is not used that often on this board. Perhaps it is because Celebrity rarely does it. I did a search and the only time the word showed up was in this thread.

I have been on 45 cruises, am Elite tier on Celebrity and never got an upsell call from them. I have been on HAL five times and got an upsell call every time. They were all great offers on HAL and I took every one of them. Because of that I never book a balcony on HAL because it is cheaper to wait for the upsell! HAL is the only line that i ever got upsells from. Have recieved many free upgrades on other lines. Never on Celebrity or Royal though.

Maybe because people are incorrectly referring to an upsell as an upgrade?:rolleyes:

Whatever you call it, I agree it doesn't seem to happen much any more. It would seem to make sense from a business standpoint to do it-- maybe they had a low enough success rate with upsell calls that it didn't justify the labor and phone line cost.

I'm still a rookie cruiser, my first cruise in 2011 I got a free upgrade from inside to obstructed view, 2012 second cruise I didn't however my daughter in a lower category cabin was upgraded to our category right next door. Her birthday ? TA?? 2013 same daughter offered an up sell for $100 to a suite from balcony. These were all Pacific coastal repo cruises not on Celebrity. My 3rd cruise is this Aug on Celebrity Century. Fingers crossed my GTY inside does something magical lol.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

Maybe because people are incorrectly referring to an upsell as an upgrade?:rolleyes:

Whatever you call it, I agree it doesn't seem to happen much any more. It would seem to make sense from a business standpoint to do it-- maybe they had a low enough success rate with upsell calls that it didn't justify the labor and phone line cost.

I am very proactive and will make a couple of calls a week, not everyone can do that, I am retired so I have the time for research. I start with an inside and work up form there. Actually got a cruise for $100pp above my original inside and this was for AQ. I also have never received a phone call.

Edited by dkjretired

• 2 weeks later...
I am very proactive and will make a couple of calls a week, not everyone can do that, I am retired so I have the time for research. I start with an inside and work up form there. Actually got a cruise for $100pp above my original inside and this was for AQ. I also have never received a phone call.

Don,

Do you use a TA or PCC?

Karen

I don't know if this is still true or not as my knowledge is old (2005), but at that time, NCL had an upsell phone number where you could call and ask for any deals they were offering for your sailing even if you booked thru a TA. We got a nice upgrade for reasonable $$ to a suite. I think all the cruise lines should offer this. Easy way to get extra money for open cabins. ;)

A couple of weeks before our 3/23 cruise we got a call from TA offering us a move from an AQ to a Sky Suite...for $1000. That was a huge price for only $100 sq. ft of extra space and we graciously declined. Requested a call if something more substantial came along.