Princess Comp Upgrade System???

ho

Does anyone know when Princess starts there upgrade process prior to sailing? I have sailed with them a couple of times before but have always said no to the upgrades because I had booked the cabin I wanted well in advance. This time we booked a last minute cruise leaving in about 4 weeks and I accepted the upgrade if one should be available. I understand there is no guarantee nor do not expect to be upgraded but was curious as to when Princess normally begins the process. There are allot of cabins left in all categories at this time. Thanks for any info.

I don't think even Princess knows the answer to your question.

Upgrades and their timing is extremely varied - sometimes 6 weeks or more out (as early as final payment?), and sometimes (once for us) upgraded at pier.

If you find out a definitive answer, please share.

Several threads have commented before on the uncertain nature of the Upgrade Fairy and that Princess will bump passengers from lower categories into the higher category cabins that aren't selling (so that they can at least resell the lower less expensive category cabin to someone else).

I'm not sure it ever happens - but what if the cruise just doesn't sell out and lots of cabins are going to be empty. Do they still bump people up into the better cabins/suites just for PR purposes? Any experiences?

Here's a recent experience on the Dawn in May. We were in the last OV cabin aft before the aft mini's and full suites. All four suites on the Dolphin deck were empty. Princess could have upgraded people for goodwill, but they chose not too. So...just because the ship is not full, does not mean they will bump people up. The cruise prior...we were in an inside cabin and there were many cabins available in all categories and we were still in the cabin we paid for.

Here's a recent experience on the Dawn in May. We were in the last OV cabin aft before the aft mini's and full suites. All four suites on the Dolphin deck were empty. Princess could have upgraded people for goodwill, but they chose not too. So...just because the ship is not full, does not mean they will bump people up. The cruise prior...we were in an inside cabin and there were many cabins available in all categories and we were still in the cabin we paid for.

Yep, sometimes that happens even when there are upper categories sitting empty. No rhyme or reason to how they do it or when.

Everything I've read makes me think that it's not necessarily random but that perhaps different criteria/systems are used for different cruises depending on number and type of rooms sold, number of new cruisers vs. repeat passengers etc.

On my first cruise (Fall 2003) we booked late - about six weeks before departure. The TA advised that we had a guarantee of a room with an obstructed view window but would only have an assurance of that category or better - not a specific location on the deck.

We received an upgrade to unobstructed view about one week before sailing and then an upgrade to a balcony room on the day before departure. The room was nearly all the way forward in the ship - a long walk to the elevator and the dining rooms but fine by us as we enjoyed the exercise. It may be neither here nor there but possibly relevant is the fact that we indicated we were celebrating an anniversary during that time period. With the exception of only a couple rooms, every cabin on our wing at that end of the ship appeared to be celebrating either a honeymoon or an anniversary.

We did travel at a time of year (mid to late fall) when the ship (Princess Grand) was not fully booked. Also - it was our first time cruising on Princess (first cruise of any type for me and first on Princess for her).

Some have theorized/commented on recently in other threads the fact that many upgrades go to first time cruisers and not so many to repeat passengers. I'm guessing that this is because repeat cruisers often tend to book mini-suites or suites and there are not so many rooms at higher levels left to bump people up to.

Contradicting the "first time cruisers get upgrade priority" theory is the fact that what the Princess agent told me when I booked my upcoming cruise directly with Princess by phone. I told them I wanted a guaranteed category (e.g. mini-suite) but was not concerned about which room or location the deck the room was in. I explained that I preferred this so that I might be open for an upgrade - her comment was "You've cruised with us previously and that already puts you higher in the upgrade queue than first time Princess cruisers - but if you ask for a guaranteed room location in a certain part of the deck or for a specific room you will NOT be in line for an upgrade."

There are three reasons to upgrade:

1) Foster good will with those who have a previous cruising history and are considered "good" clients - in other words, a Customer Relations Management tool

2) Encourage those who appear to have the means to book higher categories in the future by giving them a taste of the good life - the classic up-sell

3) Make room for a definite sale by freeing space in a lower category, using 1) and 2) as criteria.

And one not-so-good reason:

1) We goofed and are oversold, and have to give someone more than they bargained for to fix our mistake.

I think if you've established a history of only booking a certain category, booking during specials or promotions, pursuing every possible discount, and otherwise displaying little or no inclination to move up-market in the future, your chances of an upgrade are low. Demanding clients rarely get the best of anything, and only get just enough to keep them from bothering you further.

I believe that your chances are also low if you have established a pattern of booking the top categories at least some of the time. There would be no need to incentivize someone who already considers choosing the best that might be available. Each time that they might book a little lower down on the list, you know they're missing what might have been.

Providing upgrades to new passengers is a smart move, in my opinion. If there is a way to identify those who might be responsive to an up-sell without having a previous history to work with, you are sowing the seeds that will help that person choose more costly cabins in the future.

Thanks guys,

I can understand why Princess upgrade system may appear to have no rhyme or reason. I am sure they look at past statistics for that time of year, school being in or out, etc and have a good idea of what they need to do with there inventory. What makes no since to me is why they would allow higher category cabins to go unoccupied. They could do what Celebrity does and offer them for sale at a discount at the pier on the day of sailing. I like the idea that they have comp upgrades but if Princess were not going to offer them for free for whatever reason why not offer them for sale and at least recoup some of your lost sale proceeds. There must be something else, it's not like those guys at Princess who make the big bucks and do this for a living have not thought of it before us.

I think Rob covers it best. I've sailed with Princess before and never had an upgrade. A friend and I sailed on the Royal Princess in a guarantee and we never moved. There was a group new to Princess we talked to (3 couples) and they were all upgraded.

They were all in their 60's probably, professionals, and Princess probably figured good candidates to upgrade. They had previously sailed HAL and Celebrity. Personally I think Princess knows exactly what they are doing on some of the upgrades.

I don't really care, sailing single I'm always glad to get onboard, expecting nothing, I'm not disappointed if I end up in the same inside category I booked. If they did it like RCI does, I'd pay for an upgrade at the pier (maybe)!

It makes sense to me to leave some of the higher category cabins unoccupied because doing so reduces the wear and tear on them. Plus cruiseline may have staffing reasons that help determine which cabins shouldn't be occupied if they're unsold.

I had a 'good deal' with Princess, but they refused to give me a cabin number, even though my TA told me there was 'space available'. Since my wife has walking difficulties, cabin location is very important to us. Time went by and we were told that we would have to take an 'upgrade' since all cabins in our area were booked. To cut a long story short, I gave Princess 24 hours to come up with a cabin that we liked, or, we would cancel. This was no bluff, but Princess would not budge, until I said 'Cancel' [we had not made the final payment]. Then, and only then, a prime cabin was available, so we took it. I hope to continue with Princess, but I will decide which cabin we will have, and, I have found out just how to do it. I hope that Princess sees this, since I believe that their new 'booking policy' is stupid, time wasting, and very hard on my nerves! john

Sounds like you booked a guarantee, John, or part of your TA's group space. IMO, your case sounds more like it's the agent's fault for your difficulties, not Princess, and your threatened cancellation caused the agent to do his/her job. You might want to consider finding a new agent. It is always possible to book a certain cabin, and in your case it's probably warranted. I don't think you are locked out of upgrades if you take that route, unless you specifically ask for "no upgrades" on your booking.

Even if none of us know for sure what it is, there has to be a system of deciding who gets the upgrade. You would think we could find one ex-princess employee who knows how the selection is done to spill the beans on our board. We would be forever greatful.

Thanks guys,

They could do what Celebrity does and offer them for sale at a discount at the pier on the day of sailing. I like the idea that they have comp upgrades but if Princess were not going to offer them for free for whatever reason why not offer them for sale and at least recoup some of your lost sale proceeds. There must be something else, it's not like those guys at Princess who make the big bucks and do this for a living have not thought of it before us.

When the top cabins are sold off as you describe, it discourages people booking those cabins in hopes of being able to get a good deal at the pier. In the long run, the RC strategy lowers the value of those cabins.

Someone had to program the computer - therefore, there are rules.

Of course, of course. You are absolutely correct. BUT, do you see any rhyme or reason? I see a wheel turning, sort of like a roulette wheel, and when a cabin comes up for an upgrade, the wheel in the computer gets the message, and a pax gets an upgrade at the stop of the wheel. Seriously, I have never figured out the logic of upgrades, have you? And the agents keep telling me it's all done by computer.

Sounds like you booked a guarantee, John, or part of your TA's group space. IMO, your case sounds more like it's the agent's fault for your difficulties, not Princess, and your threatened cancellation caused the agent to do his/her job. You might want to consider finding a new agent. It is always possible to book a certain cabin, and in your case it's probably warranted. I don't think you are locked out of upgrades if you take that route, unless you specifically ask for "no upgrades" on your booking.[/quote

I also had 'no upgrades', written in. john

As to the "just for goodwill" theory, I can tell you this about my experience on Holland America. I got an email from American Airlines advertising $158 rates (including taxes and port fees) plus 1500 frequent flyer miles for a 3 day repositioning cruise from LA to Vancouver. The ship was ending a 100 day "world cruise." Some of the passengers were continuing on for the repositioning portion. At that low rate, all we had was a guaranteed inside. At port we got a very nice upgrade to an outside (not balcony) cabin. Turns out there were only 198 passengers (Amsterdam) and close to 600 crew members. So we didn't get the best upgrade in the world, but we got a nice cabin and were treated like royalty. Even met "Kissing Annie" a tiny little widow who was on the world cruise, and brought 35 trunks so she had a different gown every night. She got her nickname after asking the ladies if she could dance with their husbands--then gave both husband and wife a kiss.

I guess my take on this is, I don't think it's a computer making all the decisions, but trying to figure out why is like which came first, the chicken or the egg? You will never find out, so don't worry yourself to a frazzle trying.

Archived