Review on my excellent B2B on the Jewel 3/8/14 - 3/22/14

Here is my review of my b2b on the Jewel of the Seas, based on the southern Caribbean cruise, March 8-22 out from San Juan/Puerto Rico with Tortola/BVI, St. Maarten, St.Kitts, Domenica, Barbados, St.Thomas and St.Croix /USVI, Antigua, Martinique and St.Lucia.

Any questions are welcome.

ABOUT MYSELF:

I’m single, 38 years old, from Europe and I was the first time on any of this islands. I’m not into snorkeling and I don’t care that much for beach time (at least not when I’m the first time in a place and want to have a feeling of this place, about it’s culture, people and history). I had the second seating at dinner, as I like to have as much time to do my things during daylight and not have to rush for dinner and many times you get the show of the evening as a pre-dinner-show at 7pm to make your waiting time for dinner shorter.

This was cruise 8 and 9. I traveled with Costa in Europe and the middle east (out Dubai) and once 2010 also with the Jewel out from Miami with Labadee, Cartagena, Puerto Colon (Panama), Puerto Limon (Costa Rica) and Key West (instead of Grand Cayman) on my way.

Some Basics:

Suggested Dinner Attire for Week:

1. Embarkation Day: Casual
  2. Day 2: Formal
  3. Day 3: Smart Casual
  4. Day 4: White Night /Casual
  5. Day 5: Formal
  6. Day 6: Smart Casual
  7. Day 7: Casual

You will have a lot of déja-vues on your second week, but you might also do some things different because you’ll know already how things work. For example the dinner menu and the windjammer buffet are the same for both weeks; the two show of the RCI-team are the same, so are many other things, but I had luck because the cruise director changed so did many things as well.

Arrival:

I travelled with the cheapest available flight which was US Airways. Arrived the night before the cruise. Arrival time was 10.30 pm, but the plane was 2 hours late, so we arrived at 12.30 am. Lucky for me I’ve booked a room at the Airport Hotel, so I was in bed by 1.15 am.

Day 1 - Embarkation Day:

After a small but nice breakfast I went by 10am to the taxi stand at the airport which was deserted except the dispatcher. I waited for some minutes till a Mexican couple showed up with bag tags for the Jewel. I asked them if I can join them on their taxi ride. The cost for the cab was 27 $ and 1 $ per bag.

I was at the pier around 10.30am and had to wait in line to drop my bag off. Around 11am the gates opened and 20 min later I was on board and enjoying the buffet in the Windjammer on deck 11. Shortly after 1pm the fire doors opened and I could go into my interior room on deck 3. My bag was waiting for me and got everything out of my bag and into the wardrobe. As I will be back for a whole day at turnaround day and as at 3.30 pm we had a roll-call-meeting at the Schooner Bar I decided to stay on board.

The muster drill was around 8 pm and we left port around 8.30 pm. (Really everybody has to show up, the captain is really strict and will wait for departure until muster drill is completed). If you have the second seating dinner you’ll miss the dance party at the pool deck, but you should be alright for the only welcome show in coral theater around 10.30 pm.

Tipp No. 1:

If you’re on your own or like to meet people it’s really convenient if your roll-call will meet on the first day, because the meet and mingle (at least on this cruise) was both weeks on day 4. Another nice way to meet people is the 5pm Trivia in the Schooner bar (this was our meeting place anyway).

Day 2 – Tortola / Virgin Gorda Bath

As a first-timer everybody recommended the bath at Virgin Gorda and it’s really a great place to visit. Don’t know about Tortola itself as I was there only around the port area.

I did the Virgin Gorda with Speedy's. It was a Sunday and the whole trip costed 38 $ (instead of the 59 $ RCI offered). The Ferry left Tortola at 9 am, there was a transfer to the bath in Virgin Gorda included, so you could see as well some of the islands landscape. Arriving at the viewpoint around 10am. I had plenty of time to walk down to the beach, climb trough the rocks and caves to Devil's Bay Beach and back the same way. There was plenty of time to get into the water as well.

The pickup was 12.30 and the ferry left at 1pm which brought you right back in time to the ship to get something for lunch at the Windjammer buffet.

After lunch I had even time to get another turn around the souvenir stalls.

Tipp No. 2:

It looks like that at some places you’re not allowed to bring your coffee-to-go from Latte-Tudes. At least I had to leave my coffee behind (it might also just be the hot coffee). In other places I’ve seen people with their cups (it might also just have been an overcautious security officer).

And firstly the water at the gangway might not be ready and secondly this water is not in your drink package, so get your included water at the Windjammer / Latte-Tudes or the night before at any of the bars.

This was the first formal night and at 7.45 pm at the Safari club there was a welcome event with the captain, which is always nice to visit. That’s also the time where you could get a photo taken with the captain himself. We had a very experienced Norvegian Captain. While for some of us it was the first cruise, for him it was cruise no. 442!

Tonight was also the first of the board shows with their singers and dancers called “Broadway to Westend” which brought some musical classics to life.

Day 3 – St. Maarten

I had done some research. And I went to downtown Philipsburg by foot, went to “Backstreet” and waited just a little time until a van with the licence plate “Bus” stopped. For only 2 $ I crossed the Island and was driven to the center of Marigot (again instead of the 22 $ RCI offered).

I don’t know if they stopped running or if I should have taken a bus in direction Philipsburg and changed half way to another bus, but I couldn’t find any bus which brought me to Maho. So I decided to walk. It’s quite a walk, but if you’re fit and healthy then it takes you around 90 min to reach Maho Beach, where you can see the planes landing. Right before you reach the beach (it’s also the place where the bus will stop) is a roundabout with a store where you can by drinks. I stayed for 2 hours there and picked again for 2 $ a van back to Philipsburg. There I visited the place of “that Yoda Guy” and met the man himself, before I went back to the ship, of course too late for the lunch but in time for the afternoon snack, which had Pasta / Burgers / Hotdogs and Pizza to offer.

At 7.45 pm there was also a welcome back event for the “crown & anchor” people in the Safari club

At 7 and 9 pm was a headliner show with “Wild Fire” but that can change every week and at 11.15 pm was an adult-comedy show with the same comedian which was in the “Welcome-Show” on day 1.

Day 4 – St.Kitts

Here I’ve booked a RCI-Tour “The St.Kitts Scenic Railway Tour”.

The meeting point was on the pier, where we boarded a bus which brought us to the small railway station besides the airport. There we boarded the train. It took us within two hours around the half of the island. Two drinks and a sugarcane-cookie were complementary. (with or without rum). At the turnaround point we boarded the same bus again and were brought back to our ship.

Shopping-Tipp for St.Kitts:

Don’t bother to browse through the souvenir shops at the pier, they offer all the same cheap stuff. If you like to buy something unique go to the small crafts market which is a little hidden near the museum.

Here we had at 4pm our official “Meet & Mingle”. As it was my first I didn’t know what to expect. We got the invitations beforehand in our rooms. When showing up you get a small gift and the chance to win something (a bottle of wine, 30 min free internet time or RCI-stuff). You met some of the people and the assistant cruise director gave a speech and explained how important “Cruise Critics” is for him and RCI itself.

Tonight there was the “White Night” when the suggested dinner attire was white. A poolside party later in the evening followed the same theme. I was aware of this event from reading reviews on CC, but not everyone had something white to wear, which kind of diminished the effect. I just had my white shirt from my formal attire, but I was not committed enough to buy and pack a pair of white pants.

Also tonight was the hilarious “Love & Marriage”-Show at 10.15 pm at Coral Theatre.

Day 5 – Dominica

Another day with an RCI-Tour “Dominica’s Favorites”.

Like every tour the meeting point was again at the end of the pier. There were lots of people there offering tours, so it could well be that you get a better deal doing the same stuff by hiring a taxi for yourself.

First we drove to a viewpoint over the city and then we were driven through the botanical garden out of the city of Roseau to Trafalgar Falls. A small walk brought us to a viewpoint to the falls. On the long drive we stopped for a complementary drink before we arrived at the Emerald Pool, there was walking involved as well. The landscape is very nice and green. Do your souvenir shopping at the stalls at the car park.

Tonight was the second show of the RCI-Entertainment team with “City of Dreams”.

Day 6 – Barbados

Here I did not much. I just walked into the city center and looked around. Then I went to “Mount Gay Rum Visitor Centre”. There I spent 10 $ for the tour. This tour included a rum punch and later on a degustation of three rums.

Tipp No 3:

In the cruise terminal is free internet available.

And if you’re interested it might be that there is a cricket game going on in the stadium which is right beside the port.

At 7 and 9 pm was another show with a Headliner “Greg London”.

Tonight we had the 70ties party at 10.30 pm in centrum (not to be missed) and at 23.15 pm the adult scavenger hunt “The Quest” in the Safari Club (very funny to look at, but funnier if you're part of it)

Day 7 – Sea day

Now you really get to know how many passengers are one board, as it was hard to find a seat on the pool deck. But if you’re b2b you’ll see that later in the afternoon almost everybody went packing and there was much more space available.

At 10am was the Captain’s Corner in the Centrum, where you could ask the Captain, the chief engineer, the hotel director and the cruise director questions.

At 11am the consecutive cruisers were invited to a small information event. Here you got your new “seapass”, an invitation for a special lunch on turnaround day in Tides Dining Room, your transit card and a letter with all the information you need to know.

At 12.30 pm the belly flop contest took place and at 2.30 pm you could buy the “Walk for Wishes”-T-Shirts and 5 senior officers were there to sign the shirts !

7.45 pm was the only farewell show for both seatings.

Day 8 – Tournaround Day – San Juan / Puerto Rico

Here is how the turnaround day works:

If you have the same room and go in the morning on land it's much easier;

you just go at land it like the people who leave the ship by checking out with your "old" seapass, but you can skip the waiting line at immigration with your transit card.

When you get back (after 11am) you skip the line again with your transit card and check in with your "new" seapass. Done.

If you stay on board or like to go on land just in the afternoon. Everybody will meet at 10am get off board and it takes between 15 to 45 min to get you trough the process and board again. If you can open the fire doors you might get into your room, if not then they are available from around 1pm like everybody elses rooms. At noon you'll get a special lunch just for the b2b people in Tides Dining Room (everybody else has to eat at the Windjammer).

As this was my day to see something here in Puerto Rico. I left quite early and walked to Old San Juan. It’s about an hour walk and only the first part along the pier is not that nice. As soon as you crossed the bridge there are walkways and shady trees. With a taxi I would probably have missed some great street art and the nice monuments in front of the Capitol Building. I walked to El Morro, the big fort and visited it, then I waited for one of the free trollys which brought me down to the waterfront where I could catch a ferry for 0.50 $ to bring me across the harbor. Just a minute walk was a car park where I (and half of the ferries passengers) could catch a taxi for 3 $ to drive to the Bacardi Distellery. You got a voucher for two free drinks and I waited for about 30 min to join a tour. It was free and very nice, but I had expected to see something from the inside of the factory and not “only” a museum, but it was nice enough. I got back the same way and you should think about 3 hours to do this trip. After a stroll through the streets of Old San Juan I went back to the ship, where I entered with my new seapass and started my second week.

Muster Drill was today at 7.50 pm and at 10.30 pm was again the welcome show in the coral theater for both seatings. The welcome show featured the same comedian which was in the farewell show the night before and he did almost the same jokes.

Day 9 – St. Thomas / USVI

If you like to shop then this is by far the best place on this part of the trip. I have not booked something here but walked from the pier (right in front of a Senor Frog) to downtown Charlotte Amelie. I climbed the 99 steps to “Blackbeard’s Castle” where I payed the 10 $ entrance fee and could get some information about Blackbeard and the watchtower, further I could visit two old colonial houses, the pirates gallery with livesize statues of pirates and the 1829 Hotel with the amber waterfall and a small rum tasting.

There is a cable car close to the pier but it will cost you 21 $ roundtrip. For the short ride it’s in my opinion too much money for the short ride (and I'am from Switzerland where every second peak has a cable car). If the weather is pleasant you might even walk to the top.

Tonight’s show was “Broadway to Westend” and also on this day was the captain’s welcome again.

Day 10 – St.Croix / USVI

It was 17th of March and St.Patricksday. Don’t know if it was because of the new cruise director coming from Wales/UK as I have read in CC that on other cruises there was no special celebration. But today everything was green (even the champagne at the “welcome-back” event in the evening).

St.Croix is not much developed in tourism. But when you are at the end of the pier you are greeted by some people who will give you information what you can do. Further you will have dozens of taxis which might take you wherever you want (for example the Cruzan Rum Factory). I decided to catch a shuttle to Christianssted for 16 $ Roundtrip.

Even if it’s only a shuttle our female driver gave us some information along the route. In Christianssted I visited the fort and walked along the shore on a nice wooden walkway. There is also much better (but still cheap everywhere-stuff) shopping. I took the first bus at 11.30 am back but still had to wait for some time till the bus showed up. So I was back by 1 pm at the ship in Frederickssted. So right in time again for the lunch buffet.

The best thing about St.Croix and Fredericksted was that the beach was right beside the pier. That is really convenient as you can walk there. You don't need to change clothes or wait till you're dry.

At 7.45 pm there was also again the welcome back event for the “crown & anchor” people in the Safari club

At 7 and 9 pm was a headliner show with “Greg London” and at 11.15 pm was an adult-comedy show with the same comedian which was in the “Welcome-Show” on day 1 (but with other jokes).

Day 11 – Antigua

Also here is it not important to book a tour (at least if you’re well prepared).

Attention: There are two bus stations. Terminal East (which is straight ahead from the pier) and Terminal West (where you’ll have to turn right on Market Street and at the fork, with a monument of a former president, you take the right one).

I had directions (from CC) and a map, but on the map was only Terminal East and I wasn’t comparing the map with the directions, so I ended up at the wrong station. But a nice local man gave me the information I needed and so I came with a little delay to Bus Terminal West.

That’s the station if you like to visit “Nelson’s Dockyard”. It’s a nice place, but don’t expect a huge “Disney”-place as I did from reading through information on the internet. It’s quite small, but still a nice enough. The bus cost was less then 2 $ US each way(you get your change in EastCaribbeanDollar-Coins).

Before departing St.Johns it might take a while as they wait till the bus is full, but on the way back you just wait till a bus turns up.

There were lots of taxis available as well.

Tipp No. 4:

If you like to buy photos do it till this time (day 4) because by buying your photo you enter a raffle and if you’re there by 8pm you can win one of three formal photos including a silverplated frame. Yes I won myself one of them. At least 10 people did not show up and missed therefore the prize.

Tonight there was again the “White Night” and again tonight was the hilarious “Love & Marriage”-Show at 10.15 pm at Coral Theatre.

Day 12 – Martinique

We are in France. Here I’ve booked a RCI-Tour “St.Pierre and Rum”. But there are also local busses and taxis available right beside the pier. It helps a little if you know some French and important that you bring some Euro (money).

My tour brought us first to the church of Ballata, which is a very small copy of the church of Sacré Coeur in Paris. Then a long and curvy drive through the rainforest to the Depaz Rum Distillery. (that’s an information I haven’t got on any forum; I knew that we’ll visit a Distillery but not which one). Our tour guide took us on a self guided tour around the factory and this was in my eyes the only factory where you could see the whole process and take your time and pictures. You get a rum tasting as well. The shop attendants can be a bit slow, so don’t wait for your shopping till the last minute.

The distillery lies in the shadow of Mount Pelle, that’s the volcano, which destroyed the distillery and the city of St.Pierre in 1902. 30’000 People perished within 2 minutes.

That was our last destination and we had time to watch around the small museum and some of the ruins of the old capital city of Martinique. On our way back to the ship we took the route along the shore.

After lunch there was enough time to explore the sights of the city. The Bibliothek Schoelcher (Library) is very nice and the big park beside the fort is interesting because there are some big lizards hiding in the trees. The fort itself is not open for public as it belongs still to the French navy.

Second show “City of Dreams”.

Day 13 – St. Lucia

Last Destination and a full day of a RCI-Excursion (7 hours) “the Islands delights”.

First stop at a viewpoint to Marigot Bay, next stop in a fishery village with restrooms and a souvenir market (buy it there, you might not have enough time when you get back to Castries, but don’t buy any rum; they sell really small bottles for 7 $ and a 700ml bottle at port costs 9 $). With a short stop for photos of the two pitons, we drove through Soufriere and visited the “drive-in” Volcano and the botanical garden. The last part was a small lunch in a restaurant near the viewpoint with a great view of the pitons. I could have done without this lunch and I think there were tours which had the same itinerary without the lunch. Only on the long drive back I could feel how long the trip really was.

Headliner (very loud) “Blaze of Glory” which is a Bon Jovi-Tribute Band.

Tipp no. 5:

Bring along some earplugs for the theater, especially if you like to seat in the first 10 rows.

Again tonight we had the 70ties party at 10.30 pm in centrum (not to be missed) and at 23.15 pm the adult scavenger hunt “The Quest” in the Safari Club.

Day 14 – Sea day

At 10am was again the Captain’s Corner in the Centrum.

There is no information event for debarkation but you’ll get all the information you’ll need

from your cabin steward after he or she made your room and there is a whole day running information in the tv.

On this second week 12.30 pm the “sexiest man alive contest” took place and at 2.30 pm you could buy again the “Walk for Wishes”-T-Shirts and 5 senior officers were there to sign the shirts, on this occasion even the captain himself was there!

7.45 pm was the only farewell show for both seatings with the fantastic comedian/juggler “Sideshow Bert”.(if things work that way he might be in the welcome show and the late-adult comedy as well next week)

Day 15 – End of the Trip

The breakfast was really busy as everyone has to leave the ship by 10.30 am.

You could get a served breakfast in Tides Dining Room or as usual at the Windjammer on Deck 11. Our waiter at dinner has recommended to use the Windjammer as there are not so many waiters in the Tides Dining Room and you might wait longer there.

The debarkation was smooth. As soon as arrived early at my meeting point I could leave the ship, got my bag, went through immigration and found my pre-booked transfer.

Then I waited till the bus was full and off we went to the Airport.

Final Tipp:

Don’t pre-book your transfer. It’s (at least in my case) cheaper on board or if your more than two you could even take a taxi (see Day 1). On board you will spend 18 $ for the airport transfer.

If you have a flight which leaves after 2.30 pm and haven’t done already a tour through San Juan it might be an option to book one of the three tours RCI offers with a drop-off at the airport. In compare with the 18 $ - Airport transfer – they are really cheap and you don’t have to worry about your bagage or spend a longer waiting time at the airport.

Edited by onyx007

Thank you very much for your review, I especially appreciated the tips. Probably because I'll be on it next week.

Regards

That was my goal. If I can help other people having not the same problems and have a better time on board the nice Jewel then my work with this review is worth the time I used for it.

We will be on the Jewel in 2 weeks sailing your 2nd week itinerary.

Can you post when the formal nights were for your 2nd week?

Were there 2 shows every night except for Day 1 and Day 7? Were they always at 7 & 9?

Trying to plan a little ahead....

Thanks!

Lori

We will be on the Jewel in 2 weeks sailing your 2nd week itinerary.

Can you post when the formal nights were for your 2nd week?

Were there 2 shows every night except for Day 1 and Day 7? Were they always at 7 & 9?

Trying to plan a little ahead....

Thanks!

Lori

The formal nights on the second week were at the same days like in the first week. That makes it day 9 and 12 on my plan.

Yes, two shows every night except for day 1 and day 7 (and except of day 4, where there is only one love & marriage show). About show times day 3/5 and 6 it was at 7 and 9 and on day 2 it was a after-dinner show at 9 and 10.45 pm.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

I wanted to say Hello and tell you that Doug and I really enjoyed meeting and talking with you. It was nice having such a lively and active Roll Call.

I know it's a long way off, but we are looking at doing the B2B Jewel cruise again in March 2016.

Best Regards.

Hi Peter,

I wanted to say Hello and tell you that Doug and I really enjoyed meeting and talking with you. It was nice having such a lively and active Roll Call.

I know it's a long way off, but we are looking at doing the B2B Jewel cruise again in March 2016.

Best Regards.

Yeah, it was really nice meeting you as well. Will that be right after or before the dry dock ?

Thank you very much for this review! We are going on a B2B on Jewel in July so it is great to have more info about turnaround day and some of the ports! Can't wait!

Happy to help, I would have liked some of this information before my cruise...Enjoy you July Cruise

Great review! We are on a B2B in July. On turnaround day, what time did you get off the ship to go to the forts and how long was the walk there? Did you have the lunch the offered? What time did you arrive back on the ship?

Great review! We are on a B2B in July. On turnaround day, what time did you get off the ship to go to the forts and how long was the walk there? Did you have the lunch the offered? What time did you arrive back on the ship?

You cannot walk to the forts. You would have to take a taxi to Old San Juan. I'd budget 2 - 3 hours for the taxi rides and one fort.

Yes, you can walk. I left the ship around 8.30 am and arrived (with stops in between for photos) around 10 am at the Fort El Morro and as I did as well the Bacardi trip on the same day I arrived back at the ship by 4 pm.

PS: Clarea. Of course you can, I did...

Yes, you can walk. I left the ship around 8.30 am and arrived (with stops in between for photos) around 10 am at the Fort El Morro and as I did as well the Bacardi trip on the same day I arrived back at the ship by 4 pm.

PS: Clarea. Of course you can, I did...

But I was there in March so it might be something else in July (because of the heath)