NCL Alaska - naturalist naration?

I've previously done RT Seattle and Northbound on Princess and there was a naturalist on board who provided naration via TV and PA system when sailing through various attractions. They also did lectures in the theater.

Does NCL provide this service?

Edited by fishin' musician

From what I understand, a National Park Service representative will board the Pearl in Glacier Bay and talk about the park. However, there is no such person or lectures on the rest of the trip or on ships that don't visit Glacier Bay

I've previously done RT Seattle and Northbound on Princess and there was a naturalist on board who provided naration via TV and PA system when sailing through various attractions. They also did lectures in the theater.

Does NCL provide this service?

Only on the ships that do Glacier Bay, and then only in Glacier Bay. A Park Service ranger comes on board and provides narration and information during the day in Glacier Bay.

They do it quite well on the Pearl. They have information available as well as the narration. You can get park passports stamped, and the kids club does a Junior Ranger program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oh good! I wonder if my grandson will get a patch?

The services offered by the naturalist seemed identical on both cruiselines. Some people think Princess and HAL do Alaska better because they have been in Alaska longer, but offerings like the one in Glacier Bay showed me there was no "better". I believe the park service allows two large ships in each day and the permits are held by seniority which does not seem fair to me.

You will love Glacier Bay and I heard that the Junior program was wonderful.

As far as naturalists go - which is different than a park ranger, I know both X and HAL have them on board the entire voyage. When we sailed X to Alaska in 2007, one of the naturalists/lecturers was part of our CC group. He gave talks on the gold rush as well as gave commentary about wildlife and the glaciers while at Hubbard Glacier over the PA. It's my understanding that HAL contracts with a few people for the season per ship. On X, our guy was just there for that cruise.