Power Converter - your thoughts

Kramer995

We are going on a cruise out of Rome. I've read that the ship will have US electric plugs. For our nights before the cruise, what do you think of this converter? I want to use for MacBook and iphone in Rome. Do you recommend others?

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-universal-converter-charging-MRJ201GU/dp/B00F877VES/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1396043755&sr=1-1&keywords=power+converter+110+to+220+travel+strip

Thanks!! :-)

We are going on a cruise out of Rome. I've read that the ship will have US electric plugs. For our nights before the cruise, what do you think of this converter? I want to use for MacBook and iphone in Rome. Do you recommend others?

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-universal-converter-charging-MRJ201GU/dp/B00F877VES/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1396043755&sr=1-1&keywords=power+converter+110+to+220+travel+strip

Hi,

We just used these (much less expensive) and they worked great for our Mac, iPhones and iPod. I will be using them again in a couple months. Someone else may have another suggestion, but these were just great! I bought 3, but only needed one!

http://www.amazon.com/VCT-Electronics-VP13-Converts-European/dp/B000WUB692/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1396044548&sr=8-4&keywords=euro+to+usa+adapter+plug

Both of your devices work on both 110V (US) and 220V (most of the rest of the world). You don't need any converter, you just need an adapter that will allow you to plug a US flat pronged plug into a European round prong socket. You can buy these most anywhere..probably even at walmart or target...surely at Best Buy....but buying online at amazon or even EBAY is probably cheaper, if you have time.

You can buy just the European adapter, or you can buy a set that will include the adapters needed for the UK, Argentina, and so on....there are a number of standards used around the world.

If you go the EBAY route, just get a set for less than $10...probably less than $5 and that includes shipping.

Power "converters" are rarely needed any longer. They are useful for things with filaments and that generate extreme heat (lightbulbs and heaters).

Electronics typically have an adapter built in anyway that will handle either power supply 220/110v Euro/USA but just need the "geometry" of the plug changed, with the very cheap socket adapters as the second poster posted.

In other words your MAC will charge fine with just a adapter plug, and as well in any of the US sockets on ship in your cabin. They all have both US and Euro available, normally side-by-side.

I travel with this one and love it. all in one built in simple to work, prongs pull in so they don't tear your bag and contents. CHEAP.

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-33117-International-Travel-Adapter/dp/B0002H4YUI/ref=sr_1_25?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1396045711&sr=1-25&keywords=power+converter

Edited by cle-guy

You do not need anything that expensive. In Europe all you need is a c type adapter, 2 prong. You can then use on the ship as an extra outlet by the desk. There is one US outlet and one European outlet. I use it to charge my phone and Ipad at the same time. Any luggage store even Target sells them. Not more than $5.00.

Also takes up a lot less room packing.

We did Rome last year and bought a group of these and they worked fine, they arrive in the post after about 5 days. We gave away extras to fellow cruisers we met on the cruise and just kept 2. You can use them in the euro outlet in the cabin as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-5-USA-to-European-Holiday-Travel-Charger-Plug-Outlet-AC-Power-Converter-/251375876205?pt=Travel_Adapters_Converters&hash=item3a872b786d

I bought one of these for our Macbook Air.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-MAC-AC-POWER-ADAPTER-EU-WALL-PLUG-DUCKHEAD-CHARGER-European-Union-Standard-/360768113300?pt=US_Tablet_eReader_Chargers_Sync_Cables&hash=item53ff748a94

Do not spend your$. Most hotels will lend you converters and adaptors-usually put a hold on your cc for e10-20 which is cancelled when you return the device. Also check with Apple you probably do not require a converter only the plug adaptor.

Carole

This is all that I use for small appliances like my iPad, iPhone, electric curlers, hair straightener (that have a voltage converters built in) and camera charger. Have used all over Europe, including Rome, Paris, and Barcelona. For larger appliances, like a hair dryer and white noise machine, I bought those with a euro plug and can use those on the ship, also. :)

http://www.magellans.com/magellan-s-european-style-adapter-plug

Edited by Iamthesea

B You don't need any converter, you just need an adapter that will allow you to plug a US flat pronged plug into a European round prong socket.

cle-guy: Power "converters" are rarely needed any longer. They are useful for things with filaments and that generate extreme heat (lightbulbs and heaters). Electronics typically have an adapter built in anyway that will handle either power supply 220/110v Euro/USA but just need the "geometry" of the plug changed' date=' with the very cheap socket adapters as the second poster posted [/quote']

Appreciate the excellent summary points details above and on this thread. As noted in my live/blog below, we just got back last month from being in Australia and New Zealand (with their different-shapes plug-ins required there), plus sailing for two weeks on the Solstice.

The number of plugs are very, very limited on the ship. Between my MacBook Pro laptop, camera and iPhone chargers, razors, my wife's hair dryer, my CPAP breathing machine, etc., there are simply NOT enough outlets. That's why I brought along a heavy-duty, 9' extension cord with three, 3-prong plugs on its end. We need the "juice" for our various toys and items.

Check out these postings for more info/background on this nice ship, its entertainment, food options, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 47,748 views for this fun posting.

The number of plugs are very, very limited on the ship.

If you cruise OFTEN, you might consider stopping in a european port and get a euro power strip, then unplug a bedside lamp and you plug lamp in one outlet and have other 2 euro available, to plug your adapters into for US plugs to work....and phone on bedside stand charging and for clock/alarm etc...

My tech bag has one in it for all my gadgetry.

Edited by cle-guy

Thanks for the great tips!! I only chose this one, so I could plug in multiple items at once - phone, laptop, etc. I like that it had a Euro plug for the wall and three US outlets on the strip. I will mainly use it while in Rome and Istanbul, before and after the cruise.

On US cruises, I brought a power strip and haven't had any trouble. I did lose my clothes steamer in the naughty luggage area. Haha!

I love Cruise Critics!!

Thanks again!!!

Heather :-)

PS - while in Amsterdam, I had an adapter. It fried my Chi hair flat iron immediately. I hope this will help better protect delicate electronics.

If you tried to plug in the Chi to a 220V outlet without a transformer, it will have issues (she said in a dire voice, as if they could ever recover from their encounter with the wrong voltage when in reality they were just killed by their owners, but some tact should be attempted for the loss of a loved gadget). Same goes for most US hair dryers, curlers, and some electric toothbrush chargers. There are dual voltage flat irons and curlers. Most the ones I've seen require you to flip a switch (usually with a coin) from 110 to 220. It isn't automatic.

Transformers are big and heavy. They change your voltage, preferably from the European 220-240V to US 110V. Adapters usually change the shape of your outlet prongs so it will fit in another country's standard. They're much lighter than transformers.

Do check your chargers and make sure they say 110-240.

Electric shavers sometimes have their own socket but if you can avoid risking it until you get to the ship, do.

Edited by travelpeon

This is exactly what we just got for our upcoming trip. It's not big at all....think 2 sticks of butter laying side by side. I liked the multiple plug ins and the usb plug ins also as we have a few things that charge with usb cords. It has a little fan that runs but it's pretty quiet. I also liked that it automatically converts voltage. We will just take the adapters we need, not all of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Converters are very tricky. They have to be matched to a certain type of appliance. Unless you buy an extremely expensive multipurpose one you need to get one designed for appliances like hairdryers to use with your hairdryer and that might not work with computers.

For the most part computers, tablet and phone chargers and camera chargers are 220V compatible so all you'd need is an adapter plug ($5 to $10 or less) as discussed above. The voltage will be printed some place on the appliance or charger. Look to see that it lists a range of voltages that includes both 110V and 220v. Don't buy the more expensive plug adaptors that switch between UK, Europe and many other countries as they break easily. Buy the cheap ones that only adapt for one style plug (European type for Rome).

That leaves Hairdryers, curling irons and a couple other items. For these you may be much better of buying a dual voltage travel unit that can be switched between 220V and 110V and using a plug adaptor. The cost might even be less than the cost of a converter and it will be much more reliable. Just remember to flip the switch between 220v and 110v :cool:

One benefit of having the plug adaptors is that you can use your 220V compatible items on board the ship using the 220V outlet located near the North American style 110V outlet and this provides extra outlets for you! Some items charge faster on the 220V outlet as well.

Edited by Lsimon

You might want to look at some of the lower level reviews of this product (one or two star)on Amazon, and not just the positive ones, to see comments about it frying appliances and almost starting a fire. Is it worth the risk.

Edited by Lsimon

it really is a waste of money to buy a 220 to 110V converter unless you have one of the rare devices these days that doesn't work on 220V. Every charger is labelled, so just look at your chargers to confirm that they will work on 220V.

That leaves you with needing an adapter to allow you to plug the us plug into a UK wall socket. Those are far less expensive and that's all you need. I haven't carried a converter in years..and I carry far more electronic gear and computer gear than most.

Since most of my "gadgets" charge through USB ports, I do carry an Anker 5 port 40W USB charger which I highly recommend.

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Sized-Desktop-Charger-PowerIQ-Technology/dp/B00GTGETFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397087158&sr=8-1&keywords=5+port+usb+charger+40w

Edited by ghstudio

You aren't supposed to bring your own extension cord per celebrity rules.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I believe you are referring to "power strips". I've always taken an extension cord to plug into the one outlet on board. No one has ever questioned that action.

I believe you are referring to "power strips". I've always taken an extension cord to plug into the one outlet on board. No one has ever questioned that action.

No one has stopped you but extension cords are not permitted. If you need one you are supposed to ask celebrity to provide one....and they actually will. It's a safety rule/issue.

No one has stopped you but extension cords are not permitted. If you need one you are supposed to ask celebrity to provide one....and they actually will. It's a safety rule/issue.

I stand corrected. The Celebrity site does prohibit cords and strips. As usual, Celebrity's enforcement is sporadic at best.

Further research indicates most people have not had an extension cord questioned, but it could become an issue if X choose to confiscate the item. I just plug in ipad, phone and camera. Nothing heavy duty. Maybe that's why I've never been challenged.

Heres a link to the 'naughty items" (prohibited items) page. It stipulates only extension cords are not allowed, but assume one could also say a power strip is an extension cord and therefore also forbidden.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/planAndBook/beforeYouGo/tabLanding.do?pagename=before_you_go_gateway&tab=before_you_go_getting_ready

I actually travel with both....my extension cord is heavy duty made for appliances and my power strip is a european plug version so I can unplug the euro plug bed lamp, plug the strip in, the euro lamp in the euro strip, then I use normal plug converters to plug in my iPhone and iPad etc. at my bedside that I use as a clock.

Yes, I know naught naughty.....but I will say on my last cruise they did open my carryon bag and ran thru it (it's a roll aboard with tons of magnets,decorations, cords and power supplies for all my electronic gadgetry and other similar odds and ends) they pulled out both the cord end power strip (along with everything else) in the search of the luggage and put both back in and sent me on my way.

They were looking for a pair of small pliers that showed on the X-ray. I use them to cut the ends off zip ties when I decorate my balcony.....zip ties are much more safe to use and easy to remove at end of the sailing to help guarantee whatever is hung stays put and doesn't make it to the sea. :-) In the entertainment and stagehand world, we'd refer to them as the "safety's" as they are a backup to hold the item if the main rigging is lost (such as magnet falls off)

She let me keep my pliers once I explained....she thought it was nice I was concerned about not letting fall into the sea :-)

But I'll also say I'd not argue with them if they did elect to confiscate any of these items.

Just a warning....some bring an adapter from European to a us socket and they bring a power strip or three way plug from the us and plug those into the adapter. BE VERY CAREFUL...remember you have converted the physical characteristics of the plug but it is still 220V. It is very likely that the power strip or three way plug are not safe for 220 V.....possible shock or fire. Don't do this.

The adapter is fine as long as everything you plug into it is rated for 220 V....that means everything.