Oh Gosh! Check Everything! 2 pairs of eyes!

Katoo

So suitcase is out, stuff is in neat little piles to be packed. Luggage tags are on. Husband's job was to get out passports and add to documents envelope. Check.

I decided to take a peek at passports. His was fine, but mine was my old expired passport that I kept as a souvenir.

Yikes! Well, better to find out now than when standing in line.

Seven more days if I can survive them.

Sure glad you caught that! Perhaps you'd better keep that old passport in a drawer someplace, away for the good one. It might save you a LOT of stress, and trouble later down the line.

The lovely Mrs. Jones and I always do a "verbal check list" as we go out the gate of our home, on the way to the ship. Knock wood, so far we haven't left anything critical at home. ;)

"SKY"

WOW, I'm glad you double checked. I went on a trip a few weeks ago and at the airport checkin I pulled my passport wallet out my bag, and gave the agent one with holes in it. He didn't even open it and handed it back to me. He said I want the other one, and do you have more in the bag, and from what other countries. We both had to laugh!!! I always put both in the wallet at home, and remove the expired one with the holes in it before we travel, but I guess I forgot this time. Luckily I didn't remove the wrong one.

I also learned my lesson many years ago. I was taking a 'girl's cruise' and half way to the port, I realized I had my husband's passport, not mine. Fortunately, I was headed to port super early and could turn around, drive an hour home, turn around and still make it to the port before 2:00pm. But, I've been super careful since then. :D

I decided to take a peek at passports. His was fine, but mine was my old expired passport that I kept as a souvenir.

Yikes is right! Great catch there. Years ago my wife and I were heading to St Maarten, and drove all the way to Boston from NH, and got to the airport when I discovered I had left my cash home. This was in the days of few ATM's, and no debit cards.

Seven more days if I can survive them.

Have a great trip!

Kevin C

Edited by kmc500

I'm an obsessive document checker. At least a week before we leave I put all the travel docs in our travel folder and go to the bank to get cash. I probably check that folder a dozen times before we walk out the door.

I'm an obsessive document checker. At least a week before we leave I put all the travel docs in our travel folder and go to the bank to get cash. I probably check that folder a dozen times before we walk out the door.

You sound just like me...I'll do the same thing and I'll double check it the night before we leave..put it on the kitchen table along with car keys and purse and then just before we walk out the door I'll double check it again incase some "document thief fairy" comes in the house and removes something from my folder,:D

I have to laugh because I am the obsessive checker too!! I must look at my travel folder a dozen times before we leave and have been known to check again multiple times while in route in the car......:o

Yep I'm worried about document fairy thief too......LOL!!!!!

Always double check... I took my father-in-law on vacation a few years back... Bought my airfare through Priceline (no refunds or changes allowed)

The day before we were to come home, I go to do the online check-in and it cant find me... I look at my conformation... I booked the return home A YEAR LATER. lol

Guess I clicked the wrong arrow on the date select box or something... lol

Man it was a good year on that ship will we were able to come home :P (I wish) lol

in answering about the old passport. We just did our renewals this past month. We received the new ones in the mail - and then about a week or so later, we got the old ones back. As a momento - I went through and wrote in every cruise we had taken in those 10 years, and every port. (and of course noted which ship we were on.) But I will not keep it in with my NEW passport - don't want to make that mistake and grab the wrong one.

I haven't had a passport long enough to find out so..

Don't you turn in your old passport when you renew?

Yes you do. But you get it back with the holes punched in it. ( its nice to see how young you once were):D That's what everyone means by passport with the holes.

In 15 cruises the only thing forgotten that was REALLY important was my better halfs bras. She washed them and they never got packed. I am 6' and 225# and looked a little silly standing in K-mart in the women's undie section digging through bra boxes looking for the right size. It was fun though.;)

Yes you do. But you get it back with the holes punched in it. ( its nice to see how young you once were):D That's what everyone means by passport with the holes.

Thanks..

Great idea about writing in the trips in the expired passports.

DH and I checked and double checked to make sure we had all our papers prior go going to the port. He put his passport in his jacket pocket. At the port he decided he was hot so he took of his jacket and placed it in our checked luggage. Going in the port they asked for boarding pass and ID. The look on his face was priceless and I was truly pissed as we made great effort to be early so we did not have to stand in long lines. Lucky for him the baggage handler remembered him and they unloaded the crate to look for our luggage. The line got longer and longer. Finally he spotted our bags and got his passport. I was ready to sail without him!!! Now, my job is to carry all paperwork and only give him his passport at the door and then take it back! He gets soooo angry but I say better safe than sorry.

I have to laugh because I am the obsessive checker too!! I must look at my travel folder a dozen times before we leave and have been known to check again multiple times while in route in the car......:o

Yep I'm worried about document fairy thief too......LOL!!!!!

And here I thought I was the only one that did this!!! LOL

My job is everything, except the snorkel gear - husband takes care of that.

I'm the document guy. that's my job.

as long as we have documents and credit cards then we are good.

I make my wife sit down with me and go through everything two weeks before and put it in a travel folder that then sits in my hand luggage that nobody else is allowed to touch.

I then go through the folder the day before and right before we step into the car.

none of which helps when its two weeks before a cruise and your youngests child's passport has expired...... eeeekkkk

luckily we have the full birth certs etc so we can still cruise...

but panic was created for a while...