Saving lounge chairs at the pool enforcement?

I've got a nice little clip-on timer I use in the kitchen that I'm planning to bring on our next cruise. I can set it for 30 minutes when I get up to go get ice cream or get in the pool for a bit. That way anyone checking will know how long I've been gone, and when they can remove my things after the 30 minutes are up.

I've got a nice little clip-on timer I use in the kitchen that I'm planning to bring on our next cruise. I can set it for 30 minutes when I get up to go get ice cream or get in the pool for a bit. That way anyone checking will know how long I've been gone, and when they can remove my things after the 30 minutes are up.

lol

Just got off Liberty of the Seas 5 day cruise with 2 sea days. Major problem with pool deck chairs. There were dozens of unhappy cruisers who couldn't find chairs...even one!! THis was the first cruise in 8 that we had this problem. We searched for 1 hour 45 minutes before giving up. Two other couples at our table at dinner also had the same problem and were not happy. I spoke to 3 different deck patrol attendants who told me that the problem has worsened since they no longer have you sign out towels with a SeaPass card, so there is no penalty for leaving towels. Second, they had a shortage of loungers due to many being repaired in Fort Lauderdale. (doesn't help when they aren't on the ship). They also said many people yell at them when they remove towels. By the second sea day I did see them removing towels AND belongings but the situation was still bad. We counted MANY chairs in a row all over the deck with only towels and no people. I did make my complaint known and the deck supervisor was extremely sympathetic and said they were looking to make changes. Bringing back the towel checkout would help.

Just off Brilliance's 5-day itinerary (which includes two sea days). Chair hogging was in full force both sea days with most of the chairs claimed by 8am. As others have said, not requiring a seapass to checkout towels has made the problem worse. While it was nice to be able to just grab a couple towels, I think requiring towels to be checked out is a better system because unless people have the threat of a added fee, they're just too lazy to return anything. We saw wet, used towels laying everywhere around the ship and I'm sure it was just happening too fast for the crew to keep up.

On my sailing, pool attendants were constantly patrolling the deck looking for abandoned chairs and used towels left laying out. I did see them remove people's personal belongings three separate times. They were also pretty strict with kids running around the pool area, including informing parents that their kids would be banned from the pool if they continued to run. We joked but those pool guys (and girls) have probably one of the hardest jobs on the ship.

Edited by atv1122
Auto correct

Just off Brilliance (3/28-4/3)...first sea day and not a chair available all day. Ended up on the edge of the pool most of the day. When we overheard a family calling their kids in ("it's time to get cleaned up for dinner")we asked if we could have their chairs. The answer was "not until the cruise is over." Nice.

Second sea day, we went to the pool at 830 and 75% of the chairs were already being held with towels and one or two personal items. We promptly got towels, claimed two chairs in the same fashion and went for breakfast. We were gone about 30 minutes and then enjoyed the location for most of the day including a few bathroom breaks, a lunch run, and some time in the pool. I am proof that chair hogging creates more chair hogging.

Just off Brilliance (3/28-4/3)...first sea day and not a chair available all day. Ended up on the edge of the pool most of the day. When we overheard a family calling their kids in ("it's time to get cleaned up for dinner")we asked if we could have their chairs. The answer was "not until the cruise is over." Nice.

Second sea day, we went to the pool at 830 and 75% of the chairs were already being held with towels and one or two personal items. We promptly got towels, claimed two chairs in the same fashion and went for breakfast. We were gone about 30 minutes and then enjoyed the location for most of the day including a few bathroom breaks, a lunch run, and some time in the pool. I am proof that chair hogging creates more chair hogging.

:):):eek:

Wow! Really? Did they really believe that their cruise fare included exclusive rights to a set of deck chairs? I think that might have been a perk for first class TA pax 100 years ago, so maybe their great-great-grand-daddy misled them.

... I spoke to 3 different deck patrol attendants who told me that the problem has worsened since they no longer have you sign out towels with a SeaPass card, so there is no penalty for leaving towels...

... Bringing back the towel checkout would help.

Could not agree more. Checkout is a minor inconvenience.

Just wondering if you set out to go to the pool and many of the chairs had towels on them.

Now, if they had only towels on them and no personel belongings like flip flops, books or sunglasses..............who's to say that it can't be your new found lounge chair:eek:

I guess what I am trying to say is..........prove it was yours with the new liberal towel policy.............

I could always say there was nothing there when I arrived.....

Please dont flame me..............

I was just saying what if???????????????

Thanks for listening

I am not wanting to start a fight, or cause conflict but I could see this happening, I would be a chicken to attempt and my DH would also say I am a WOOS, and I would be too afraid to do this.

Sea Ya

Just wondering if you set out to go to the pool and many of the chairs had towels on them.

Now, if they had only towels on them and no personel belongings like flip flops, books or sunglasses..............who's to say that it can't be your new found lounge chair:eek:

I guess what I am trying to say is..........prove it was yours with the new liberal towel policy.............

I could always say there was nothing there when I arrived.....

Please dont flame me..............

I was just saying what if???????????????

Thanks for listening

I am not wanting to start a fight, or cause conflict but I could see this happening, I would be a chicken to attempt and my DH would also say I am a WOOS, and I would be too afraid to do this.

Sea Ya

My line of defense is to say, after I have eyeballed one empty for a long time and taking possession, is to say "Gee, the person that got up from this lounge a few minutes ago said he was done for the day and I could have it." Then I go back to reading my book or whatever.

Tucker in Texas

Its been 2 yrs since we were last on RCCL - what is the towel policy? On Princess, last summer - you had a towel, if not returned you were charged for it. If I was responsible for the cost of a towel - I don't believe I would run off and leave it on a chair all day.

I am agreeing with most posters on here, you can tell if a chair is reserved, or if the chair is occupied and someone has gotten up to cool off or get an ice cream. If the bucket of beer is on my chair - and it has ice in it... it hasn't been 30 minutes!

My line of defense is to say, after I have eyeballed one empty for a long time and taking possession, is to say "Gee, the person that got up from this lounge a few minutes ago said he was done for the day and I could have it." Then I go back to reading my book or whatever.

Tucker in Texas

Perfect.