Willie Aames resigns as CD

WesW

Torstein Hagan owner of Viking Oceans/Viking River Cruises is an outstanding judge of cruise talent; not only did he very recently hire (besides Mark Conroy) our fav Regent Exec (Ralph De Klign), he also hired one of Regent's best crew members (Routh) and most recently (Willie Aames, we concur Caroldoll--have sailed with Jamie, Paul, Lorraine--Willie was our Fav) When Viking expands their itineraries beyond (Europe/Carib/Med/North America) we will also consider Viking Oceans.

Drawing "talent" away form Regent is one thing....... keeping them is another. How well premium plus or luxury lite cruises will sell is yet to be determined (although Oceania does very well and Azamara also has a fan club). It may be premature to think that Viking Ocean will have enough demand to build more than the initial three ships.

The passengers we have spoken with onboard currently are luxury cruise passengers and do not have a desire to sail on anything less, IMO, some of the newer officers on Regent (those promoted, hired from the outside or moved from Oceania) are excellent.

Wes, Regent has lost more officers than you listed. While I hope to see some of them (Paul, Gami and Goren in particular) back on Regent, we really adore the first female G.M. and some long awaiting promotions have occurred. Not sure if you know Daniela - a recent promotion to F&B Director. She has been with Regent a long time.

In any case, we have enjoyed Lorraine on the past two cruises and look forward to meeting Jamie - their senior C.D.

Jackie, we have not sailed on Regent for over three years (since Mark Conroy left) --don't recall sailing with Daniela but do like that Regent still promotes within. We also very much enjoyed sailing with Jamie and Dana, and Lorraine (on Christmas season cruises she is absolutely wonderful as you well know).

Peggy, Tina..my post above (#26) could have been clearer--Peggy, you're right Mark was (still is) a fav who is now No longer employed by Regent. From 2004-end of 2012 had numerous conversations/dealings with Mark and am especially fond of him due to his above & beyond support for our military. Also, liked Mark for the exceptional manner in which he took care of Regent Guests and the positive manner in which he took care of Regent officers & crew members)

I was at a charity event and visited with Torsten Haagen for a bit as he was at a booth for Viking River Cruises - based in my neighborhood. Mark Conroy and his wife (formerly of Silverseas) are best friends with him and I would not be surprised that Mark Conroy would consult with Viking.

You will be seeing the senior officers on the Explorer next year....... General Manager Franck Galzy, Cruise Director Jamie, etc.

Agree that Willie is a very nice person but was fairly new to Regent (and spent a few contracts on Oceania).

I sincerely hope that Jamie is not the CD on the Explorers maiden voyage.

I sincerely hope that Jamie is not the CD on the Explorers maiden voyage.

Why do you feel that way? We will meet him in a day or so and will ask about the maiden voyage of the Explorer. So far I've heard the information from crew members on the Mariner. The information is not always accurate but I will believe what Jamie says.

I do not want to get into a discussion about this - everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion - but I do need to say that I have known and sailed with Jamie for more than 10 years as well as a number of other CDs. I have found him to be excellent in his job - organized, creative, nice to travel etc.

I have also enjoyed many of the other CDs, both on Regent and the other lines I've sailed on. Each has his/her own good point and not-so-good points. But most if not all, do a good job.

Why do you feel that way? We will meet him in a day or so and will ask about the maiden voyage of the Explorer. So far I've heard the information from crew members on the Mariner. The information is not always accurate but I will believe what Jamie says.

On the 2011 world cruise he essentially was MIA from his job (prior to that he seemed somewhat erratic in his performance). That's not the level of CD you want for an inaugural cruise.

On the 2011 world cruise he essentially was MIA from his job (prior to that he seemed somewhat erratic in his performance). That's not the level of CD you want for an inaugural cruise.

Hmm, we were on that world cruise for 72 days. We thought Jamie did an outstanding job of being very visible and interacting with the passengers.

Hmm, we were on that world cruise for 72 days. We thought Jamie did an outstanding job of being very visible and interacting with the passengers.

Yes, Jamie and Dana are very charming. We sailed with them on our honeymoon cruise on Royal Caribbean 18 years ago. It was the inaugural season of the Splendor of the Seas. On our first (then)

Radisson Cruise, they were on board and familiar but we did not specifically remember each other but figured it out. I have sailed with them a number of times and found them very professional, personable and fun too.

I'll take what went on over the entirety of the cruise, great that your limited experience was different. (maybe if he wasn't also doing his wifes job things would have been different).

Edited by Emperor Norton

I do not want to get into a discussion about this - everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion - but I do need to say that I have known and sailed with Jamie for more than 10 years as well as a number of other CDs. I have found him to be excellent in his job - organized, creative, nice to travel etc.

I have also enjoyed many of the other CDs, both on Regent and the other lines I've sailed on. Each has his/her own good point and not-so-good points. But most if not all, do a good job.

Peggy, I'm with you on this. I don't count on the CD or any other senior officer to make or break my cruise. To me, what they can do is enhance what is otherwise always great, Actually, I have liked all of them over my years with Regent since 2000, and 35 plus cruises. I will never reach the number of nights you have! My youngest daughter, who's 33, loves Jamie!

Peggy, I'm with you on this. I don't count on the CD or any other senior officer to make or break my cruise. To me, what they can do is enhance what is otherwise always great, Actually, I have liked all of them over my years with Regent since 2000, and 35 plus cruises. I will never reach the number of nights you have! My youngest daughter, who's 33, loves Jamie!

While we do not count on C.D.'s to make or break our cruise, having friendly, interactive C.D.'s can make things more enjoyable. Having said that, this is how we feel about Lorraine, Ray, Jamie (finally met him and think that he is great) and ex-C.D. Paul Reynolds. Honestly, while Willie is a lovely person, he did not enhance our experience on Regent.

We liked Paul Reynolds. We liked Willie Ames. We will miss them both. We haven't met others, but generally find Cruise directors all individuals and different. I suspect liking people is more individualized than liking food.

With the statement that we prefer Regent do its best not to lose good people, but if they do, replace them with good people, I suggest we wish those that have left well, hope to see them again, and do our best to successful enjoy and interact with those Regent cruise directors on our next cruse. Cruise directors are important to enjoyable cruising, and I hate to see us impair them, by bemoaning the lack of past favorites or stooping to criticizing current Cruise directors. We have the cruise questionnaires to comment on current staff, and don't need to do so publicly. Every time I go to a party I enjoy the party, even though I enjoy some people more than others. I feel the same way cruising. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Bill, strongly agree--Colin is outstanding. We enjoyed Colin on our first SS cruise about ten years ago. Fernando (CD for the Silver Whisper's annual World cruise got hurt for this year's WC) Colin will now be CD or this year's SS WC.

He joins many, many Regent crew and officers that are now on Viking Ocean. Too bad that most of us will never sail on that cruise line.

Not sure how you are able to speak for most other people - in fact, one our last cruise many passengers were talking about Viking cruises and were anxious to be able to try it out, even saw some people in the computer room looking at their website. The price point on Regent for many of the cruises is now exceeding $1000 day/per person for the least expensive suites and for many that has become a deal breaker. A TA who specializes in high end travel told me that she has held informational sessions for upcoming Viking cruises and they were so well attended that additional sessions needed to be added. Interestingly - the only cruises that had a recent price increase were those that are almost sold out - it is easy to raise the price on a product that is already sold. Viking is starting off right by hiring many of the best from Regent and other high end lines - it will be interesting to see what they are able to deliver.

gnomie :)

Although passengers we have spoken with are not interested in Viking Ocean (not even one of them), if Regent prices keep skyrocketing, there will be some passengers looking at Oceania, Azamara, and Viking Ocean. Prices on Oceania are so low that we were able to get a 1,000+ square foot suite with the premium alcohol package and unlimited internet for less than Regent in a smaller suite. Still prefer Regent. We have two Explorer cruises booked in large suites for a price that is close to Oceania's. Regent still has some deals out there.

In terms of the latest price increase, it makes sense to me to raise prices on well selling itineraries. After all, if an itinerary is not selling well, it won't sell better if you raise the price.

Edited by Travelcat2