Question re male attire: Panama Canal

jocelysue

There are online companies that sell tux ware, for rather cheap. I got my husband a nice tux shirt online. Princess lets you rent a tux that is waiting for you on the cruise; I don't know if Celebrity does that. You should search tuxes online, there are many cheap options and styles. The company I used was in New Jersey but I forget the name. Of course, if it comes and you don't like it, you can always return it. I am surprised two seamstresses have told you they can't take in the pants. I sew, and I bet a very experienced tailor might be able to do it. I think this is a case where, if you keep searching, you will find a good solution to the problem. Your husband will look like James Bond 007 again.

Does Celebrity have an option to rent tuxedos on board? He would only need to provide them with his measurments. The tux and accessories would be delivered to your cabin.

My husband wore black dresspants,and a black shirt with a blue tie. He looked quite sharp, and was allowed into the MDR without a suit jacket.

Can you order on line where you are? I see you are in Canada which I'm not sure of how that works. Here in the states, banana republic, gap and old navy have free shipping and free returns. Zappos also. Amazon has certain items which have free returns. I would order some things and just return what doesn't fit. Don't worry if nothing fits and you have to return it all, people do it all the time. My skinny S buys his work pants at Banana Republic, they make a slim cut and they are very nice. They have sales all the time too. In fact, I find that I never can find S's size at the store, they always have to be ordered.

JC Penny also will return things to the store that you order on line.

My dad lost a lot of weight. He also liked to look nice so I understand your predicament. I would pack a nice windbreaker and even a light pair of gloves. My dad had bad circulation and he was always cold. Better safe than sorry.

Just noticed that the gap stores are unavailable. Target will return to the store for free. There is a bigger selection on line than in the store. Besides that way you can try on at home which is always easier.

Edited by Deb922

Hopefully I'm not too late--

Doing laundry and found a pair of DH's shorts. When he bought them he bought another pair with the wrong pocket for him but would be good for your husband.

spin_prod_796420612?hei=624&wid=624&qlt=50,0&op_sharpen=1&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

See the side pockets? How they stick out? They're not flat to the fabric but have an extra piece?

The pair DH returned had that type of pocket on his back end. My DH doesn't need any emphasis back there. When I told him to return them he said, "But, they look good on Tom!". I told him Tom doesn't have a b*tt!:p

Look for pants that have THAT type of pocket on the rear. If it can't be fixed it can be hidden. A pair with a jacket will be fine for formal night.

Or buy a pair of pants that fit well enough and a second pair in the same color. Have a seamstress/tailor make pockets out of the second pair. (Cut only the legs off, making shorts.)

Edited by SadieN

You have all been great trying to help me out. Yesterday I did find a pair of black pants, not dressy, but at least not jeans. I followed your suggestions. A dressmaker had told me to buy a pair that fit DH's butt a bit and then have them taken out at all the seams which I did. Far from perfect but acceptable.

I'm saving your suggestions which will come in handy for regular pants. So I'm grateful to your kind and helpful e-mails.

You have all been great trying to help me out. Yesterday I did find a pair of black pants, not dressy, but at least not jeans. I followed your suggestions. A dressmaker had told me to buy a pair that fit DH's butt a bit and then have them taken out at all the seams which I did. Far from perfect but acceptable.

I'm saving your suggestions which will come in handy for regular pants. So I'm grateful to your kind and helpful e-mails.

Happy that you found something that will work, hope you have a wonderful time & come back with happy memories. :)

Glad you found something that would work for the trip. We hope your trip is full of shared laughs and good memories.

• 3 weeks later...

I just read through this thread and arn't there alot of nice people on the boards , everyone really trying to help a fellow cruiser, Just great.

I am glad you found a pair of pants that will work for your husband. I know the challanges you have with fitting and keeping your husband comfortable as well. I would say for sure take a lite sweater or jacket with for evenings , it can be cool inside the ship , even in Panama, it can be so hot outside and cool inside, we have done this cruise 3 times , and yes there are times we needed a light wrap. Be sure you have all his medications labeled well, and he will probably need to rest each day for a bit. Does he require a wheel chair ?

I have a friend who rented one just for the cruise, so her husband didn't tire from the walking on a large ship. I have traveled with my husband when he was not feeling well after chemotherapy and rest was important each day. So glad you are able to go on this cruise. hope you both have a wonderful time and enjoy every minute. God Bless...

Cori