cruise booking cancellation

When booking online there should be a 7 working day 'cooling off' period, where if you change your mind you are entitled to a refund under the Distance Selling Regulations… Doubt if these rules would apply if booking with TA… But good luck with getting anything back from Thomson’s, they probably have some terms & conditions that prevent them paying somewhere… I should think that for cancelling for any unforeseen reason the customer would be directed to their own insurance policy for refunds.

I've had a look at the T&C and on the face of it there would be 100% cancellation charge - that kicks in a few weeks before departure. Insurance paying up would depend on the circumstances but not for a known medical condition which they haven't been told about and covered or of some condition/situation you knew about at the time of booking which could mean you couldn't travel.

The cooling off scenario is an interesting one and I'd certainly like to know chapter and verse on that. You can see that in the circumstances that would be a bit of a problem for Thomson as they would end up with a cabin that almost certainly they would be unable to sell with 24hr notification. It's not like changing your mind over buying a kitchen when the supplier still has the product available for another customer - so nothing lost. My guess (only that) is that it wouldn't apply. It leaves suppliers in this sort of industry very vulnerable otherwise.

If anyone knows or gets a definitive answer on this I'd be pleased to know (just for info as I hope I don't end up in a position of having to cancel a cruise last minute as that would mean something awful had happened! )

Edited by kruzseeka

Regulation 6 of the Consumer Protection ( Distance Selling ) Regulations 2000 means the TA is wrong.

There is no 7 day rule in this instance of a Thomson cruise and for that matter the same would apply to Fred Olsen too etc etc etc

It is irrelevant therefore whether the booking was on line or via the local Thomson shop - it is a 100% cancellation fee in this instance of a last minute cruise.

Yes it would appear both Cruz & Hudd are correct, there is no legal right to a cooling off period for travel/holiday bookings unless the company choose to allow it. :(

I don't suppose even Jack Bauer would be successful in getting Thomson's to return the full dosh paid for a last minute booking even within 24hr. :D

From experience getting lucre from Thomson is tricky. Even on their clearly publicised sliding scale of refunds for a substantial change to a cruise... I could not get £10 out of them when they changed ship on me... Wrong ship not considered a substantial change. :confused:

Someone managed to get something out of Thomson, he had to take them to court though:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2570258/Grandfather-wins-pay-Thomson-Holidays-landmark-legal-case-refused-refund-Spanish-trip-cancelled-wife-fell-ill.html

He proved they had sold his flight and Hotel room therefore by law they had to pay him back.

Doesn't answer the OP's question, but interesting nonetheless.

Thanks for that clarification HT - much as I suspected, and not unreasonable. And an unusual occurence too I would think as I don't imagine many bookings are made very last minute with the possibility they might not be able to travel for some reason. Unexpected emergencies/health issues can always be a possibility but should be covered by your insurance - with caveats as I previously mentioned. (Keep thinking of you off soon - I'm with you in spirit if not in person - wish we were!:rolleyes:)

Thank you all for your comments, I am pleased to say emergency is over but was a close thing, cruise is on and it did seem we would have had to pay 100% cancellation fee, it could not even be transferred to another cruise.

Will be glad to get on board and raise a glass.

Molly

Edited by Mollythedolly

Yes it would appear both Cruz & Hudd are correct, there is no legal right to a cooling off period for travel/holiday bookings unless the company choose to allow it. :(

I don't suppose even Jack Bauer would be successful in getting Thomson's to return the full dosh paid for a last minute booking even within 24hr. :D

From experience getting lucre from Thomson is tricky. Even on their clearly publicised sliding scale of refunds for a substantial change to a cruise... I could not get £10 out of them when they changed ship on me... Wrong ship not considered a substantial change. :confused:

that worries me. I consider the Majesty the only Thomson ship with reasonable single cabins. If they changed ships on me not only would I be 'slightly peeved' but it would spoil the holiday as well :mad:

Maybe i will just book with another line where all the ships are high quality modern hardware.

Thank you all for your comments, I am pleased to say emergency is over but was a close thing, cruise is on and it did seem we would have had to pay 100% cancellation fee, it could not even be transferred to another cruise.

Will be glad to get on board and raise a glass.

Molly

So glad everything has worked out OK. Where are you going?

So glad everything has worked out OK. Where are you going?

Thank you campolady, we are going on Spirit of the Med on the Island Escape, it was one of those see it on Sunday and go on Tuesday affairs.

Not been on this ship before but it was such a good deal thought the weather must be slightly better than what we are having here. Off on the Dream again later in the year but that seemed so far away:(

Molly

Thank you campolady, we are going on Spirit of the Med on the Island Escape, it was one of those see it on Sunday and go on Tuesday affairs.

Not been on this ship before but it was such a good deal thought the weather must be slightly better than what we are having here. Off on the Dream again later in the year but that seemed so far away:(

Molly

Have a brilliant time Molly.

Like you, we booked a last minuter (3 weeks rather than 2 days) last month and go on Thursday. We too are going on the Dream later in the year but decided this was too good an offer to miss.

We haven't been on the Island Escape but I keep looking at it as sesm such good value so would love to hear your opinion when you return.

Bon voyage!

I take it it's tomorrow then Molly the Dolly, good choice :D

1st Cruise of the season ;)

Palma Port <<<< Please click me :D

I too found this webcam last year when we booked the Hotel Horizonte for the night before our sailing from Palma in October. Once I had found it I was addicted to looking at the ´Dream´ every Saturday!

By the way, if anyone is booking cruise only and needs a nights pre-sail accommodatiion the Horizonte is pretty unbeatable - both for price and location. The webcam is on the terrace so the view from the hotel (and our bedroom) was exactly what you see on the camera.

Sad person that I am, I will still have to have my weekly webcam fix from the beginning of May even though the Dream has to move on from Palma to Malaga before we sail on her in November.

Edited by campolady

that worries me. I consider the Majesty the only Thomson ship with reasonable single cabins. If they changed ships on me not only would I be 'slightly peeved' but it would spoil the holiday as well :mad:

Maybe i will just book with another line where all the ships are high quality modern hardware.

Thomson may say it is covered under their T&C's, but does not necessarily mean you have to accept it.

According to the Package Travel Regulations, if there are any changes, you are entitled to withdraw from the contract without penalty:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/package-travel-regulations

Changes to a booked holiday

Regulations 12 and 13 of the Package Travel Regulations are concerned with pre-departure cancellation or alteration by the organiser:

If there are alterations to your package holiday or to departure times or location, the travel organiser must notify the consumer as quickly as possible in order to enable him to take appropriate decisions and in particular to withdraw from the contract without penalty or to accept the alterations.

The customer is then required to respond to the notification of the alteration.

You then have the option of withdrawing from the contract without penalty or accept a variation.

That is presuming a cruise can be classed as a package holiday(which according to this, as they are supplying transport & accommodation, i would say it is):

Is your holiday protected?

In relation to any claim, it's essential to establish whether your package holiday falls within the meaning of the Package Travel Regulations.

If your holiday contract falls within the definition, you'll benefit from the additional terms implied in the contract by the Regulations.

Regulation 2(1) of the Package Travel Regulations provides that a package means the pre-arranged combination of at least two of the following components:

•transport

•accommodation

•other tourist services not ancillary to transport or accommodation and accounting for a significant proportion of the package

The definition includes a wide range of travel arrangements. Clearly traditional package holidays described in brochures are covered, but it would also include tailor-made holidays where you have selected separate components.

Edited by sodafountain

Have a brilliant time Molly.

Like you, we booked a last minuter (3 weeks rather than 2 days) last month and go on Thursday. We too are going on the Dream later in the year but decided this was too good an offer to miss.

We haven't been on the Island Escape but I keep looking at it as sesm such good value so would love to hear your opinion when you return.

Bon voyage!

Thank you all for your kind replies.

I must say campolady we loved every minute of this cruise. The ship is well worn but kept spotlessly clean and everyone was so friendly and joined in. We would definitely book to go on it again, at the right price, but this time possibly in time to select a cabin mid-ship on a lower deck, we were on deck 7 and because we were only two days from going we had to have what was going but hey for under £800 all inclusive for two we did not mind this. I think we would also book outside of any school holidays, not that we dislike children, but it might be slightly more manic on board as the ship is not as big as others but that's just our opinion. It's has a great afternoon tea and a 24/7 buffet, all meals are self service.

Now looking forward to the Dream later in the year.:)

Molly