Dooney and Bourke handbag

Other than Ebay, where could one find a great price on Dooney and Bourke handbag? In Dillards, I read that they are assembled in Mexico. Has anybody ever bought one there at a better price than here?

Thanks in advance!

Barb

There is a DB outlet in Vero Beach, FL. I have been to the factory stores in Maine and Pennsylvania. Like Coach, they have discounts on discontinued styles. I remember lots of good sale prices, as well. I hear that there is an outlet store in San Juan, PR.

QVC sells DB bags, but I don't know how well-priced they are.

--Judy

I got a tassel tote (the one with the removable shoulder strap) for $86 at Hechts if you have those near you... it was after Christmas and did have an extra 20% off store coupon but it was definitely a "illegal shopping pass" not to buy that! Have also purchased from QVC and their prices on many are excellent because they often include wristlet, make up case etc. in some of the "TSV" bags at an even better price.. check the website.. the prices are much better than here and on par with outlets in many cases.

you can look in pawn shops for your DB. You would be surprised at what you will find. It may take a little while but the great ones are out there. Other designers too....Coach, Kate Spade, Gucci. Beware of Louis Vitton you find there unless you really know the brand.

Happy shopping!

D&B has a big operation in Norwalk, CT. Every year, 2 Saturdays before x-mas they have a huge sale and the prices are unbelievable. You might want to either e-mail them, or give them a call for other locations and sale dates.

There is a very large outlet in San Juan.

Some bags are actually assembled in Italy. I know this because my dear friends own a leather factory in FLorence and when I was there a few months ago, they were putting together 3000 bags for them.

I just looked on QVC, and the bags say Made in China. Is that right?

Melissa :)

Evidently, the bags are made in many different countries, and yes, some are made in China. AND, I received this information directly from D&B. The material is shipped there by D&B, therefore, the tag "Made in China". I have bought 2 from ebay, they both said authentic, and had the product cards...no problem when I registered them with D&B...the material was the same as the one I bought in my local store, except half price.

Hope this helps.

Caviargirl - Thanks, I'll see if I can find an address on a Dooney website or something. We've been talking about doing a walking tour through Old San Juan. I could make this one of our stops!

I notice many of the D&B bags on QVC are "not available anywhere else." I wonder if they are made in China to be sold on QVC. The ones I've ordered have been through the D&B website or Dillards. However, I honestly don't know where they're made. And they're the leather ones, not fabric. Perhaps the ones on QVC look "similar" to the ones in the store except maybe the hardware is a bit different or the strap length is longer/shorter. Maybe Jane has the answers.

Esther

My first ever D&B purchase occurred a few weeks ago. Saw them at Lord & Taylor on clearance. I also had the extra 20% savings pass that expired the 19th. I bought a small mini hearts white handbag that is just too cute. It retailed for $195 and I bought it for $44!! I came home and checked Ebay and saw they were going for much more. Went back to Lord & Taylor a few days later and some smarter women than me had already bought them all. Drats! I was going to sell them on Ebay and make a profit for spending money on my cruise! lol!!

I've been hitting TJ Maxx 2-3x week and they've been getting trickles of D&B. Today they had one that caught my eye. A black mini hearts bag, the medium upright square. It retailed for $225, I think, and they were selling it for $129.99. They had others too. I'd try them and try them online too. I never knew they had a website until I started shopping for a formal. I bought a dress at L&T, came home and googled it to be sure I got the best price. TJ Maxx beat it and I ordered it from them and it came in Jones of New York plastic, brand new, all sealed and unwrinkled. That is so unlike what the dresses look like when they make it to the retail store. I was very pleased.

Hope you find a purse for a great price!!

:)

I just checked out the Dooney and Bourke store in San Juan today (yes, it's by the Convent hotel). They have stuff on clearance, but the clearance price at Marshall Fields or at TJ Maxx is actually better. There are a lot of knock off Louis Vuitton bags around, and some Coach. Anyway, too rich for my blood!

I notice many of the D&B bags on QVC are "not available anywhere else." I wonder if they are made in China to be sold on QVC. The ones I've ordered have been through the D&B website or Dillards. However, I honestly don't know where they're made. And they're the leather ones, not fabric. Perhaps the ones on QVC look "similar" to the ones in the store except maybe the hardware is a bit different or the strap length is longer/shorter. Maybe Jane has the answers.

Esther

Many manufacturers make a cheaper version of their own product to sell to a different market. Dooney & Burke absolutely does this. So the bags on QVC are not illegal knock-offs, they are made by D&B especially for QVC and sell for less money than the traditional line. So yes, you're absolutely right, they use cheaper fabrics and cheaper hardware, however, they are worth the QVC price, just not the typical dept store price. I would imagine that the label indicates too that is was made for QVC, but couldn't say for sure. But it will not be the same bag you see in a department store or a regular D&B retail store.

Maxx handbags does the same thing. Her handbags in the dept stores are made in Italy and her QVC line is made in China.

As a consumer, I find this offensive as it leads many naive people to think they're getting something that's worth a lot more than it is. As a fashion marketer, I think it's brilliant and every company I know would like to sell their product on through that channel.

QVC does not change cosmetic formula's around though, they simply package them in different quantities and different sets so that the cosmetic co. can sell them for less without compromising product.

Jane

Jane, I remember you posting a brand of makeup that was manufactured by Chanel, only for less $$. Was it you, do you remember this? Am I going crazy (don't answer that).

No, you're not going crazy and yes it was me who posted it......

Bourjois make-up is an inexpensive line of make-up that is made by Chanel. I don't know if it's sold in the US or not. Maybe Sephora has it?

I buy it when I'm in Paris, but I've only tried the lipsticks.

There's always a big "debate" about whether it's only produced by Chanel in the Chanel factory but using different ingredients or in the Chanel factory using the same ingredients. Popular opinion believes that many of the make-up products (lipstick, shadows, blushes) are the same ingredients but that the skincare products are different formulas. (Popular opinion poll was conducted by yours truly asking every Parisian she knows. :) )

It's kind of like the Lancome and L'Oreal relationship. Same company, same factories. Same products??? Some yes, some no......but who knows which ones? <shoulders shrugging>

Jane

I just bought a Dooney & Bourke choclate coin purse at Boscov's reg $65.00 for $25.00. It's the perfect size for my Drivers license, a couple of credit cards, cash and some lipstick!! They had some other styles 40-50% off already marked down prices!!:)

Kathy,

Since Sephora is a french company, I figured if anyone carried Bourjois, they would.

Now back to Dooney & Bourke............. <g>

Jane

I thought Sephora was owned by the Miller family (the pre Hilton sister true socialites, the Miller sisters).

I've been buying Bourjois from Sephora for several years and I also use Chanel. It never occured to me that I was getting a Chanel product by purchasing Bourjois as I like the line itself.

As far as the D&B bags, when I purchased one way back in 1988 or 1989, you could ship the bag back to the company if there was a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived