PG Tips

My tea loving DW has taken a liking to this brand of English tea. I'm a not too fussy American black coffee drinker, so it doesn't mean much to me. However, a happy wife is important. :)

I know that a lot of British friends sail, so is this tea available onboard, or do we need to bring a box along?

Edited by davy jones

I think on our previous cruises it has been Twinings Breakfast Tea. I don't recall seeing PG Tips but I may be wrong. I'd slip a box in just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I've seen Tetley tea a few times on the transatlantic cruises from Southampton. They do seem to have Twinings English Breakfast on a number of cruises. I can't say that I've see PG Tips. We do tend to bring our own tea as you can't always be sure exactly what you are going to get on board.

Maybe Royal changes the tea based on the location of the ship, but all I've seen anymore is something called First Tea.

I've seen Tetley tea a few times on the transatlantic cruises from Southampton. They do seem to have Twinings English Breakfast on a number of cruises. I can't say that I've see PG Tips. We do tend to bring our own tea as you can't always be sure exactly what you are going to get on board.

I can't speak for elsewhere, but in the Caribbean they have, as the above poster put it, "something called First Tea." Apparently it was first tea, but is now something else, other than tea. It was dreadful. I'd say definitely bring your own!

I can't speak for elsewhere, but in the Caribbean they have, as the above poster put it, "something called First Tea." Apparently it was first tea, but is now something else, other than tea. It was dreadful. I'd say definitely bring your own!

I've been using two teabags of the "First Tea" and it does seem to help the taste.

PGTips used to put cards in their packets boxes, these cards were information cards on different subjects, I have many a different subject that I have saved and been given, these where on the same lines as cigarette cards. Useless bit of information.

According to the company website, this is what the PG stands for:

PG = Pre-Gest. In the 1930's some teas were believed to have certain digestive properties.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

The recent trend seems to be for RCI to offer some sort of organic tea bag - dreadful. No strength at all. Bring your own. I am as I have a 14 night TA coming up and I can't stomach that rubbish for 14 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by peteukmcr

LOL - that is really funny! I have to agree though, it certainly isn't tea!

The recent trend seems to be for RCI to offer some sort of organic tea bag - dreadful. No strength at all. Bring your own. I am as I have a 14 night TA coming up and I can't stomach that rubbish for 14 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, no strength at all. Even with 2 tea bags and leaving it to brew, it doesn't really taste like tea. I've tried the mint tea and even that lack flavour.

As an aside peteukmcr - which TA are you doing?

According to the company website, this is what the PG stands for:

PG = Pre-Gest. In the 1930's some teas were believed to have certain digestive properties.

I always bring a box of PG Tips on vacation with us. Husband refers to them as Pretty Good Tips!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app[/quote

LOL--but what was "PG" supposed to stand for? The mind boggles!

PG-rated tipping

pregnant tipping

port guide tipping?

Thank you for the laugh. :D

In the 1930s Brooke Bond launched PG Tips in the UK tea market under the name of Pre-Gest-Tee. The name implied that the tea could be drunk prior to eating food, as a digestive aid. Grocers and salesmen abbreviated it to PG.

After the Second World War, labelling regulations ruled out describing tea as aiding digestion — a property previously attributed to tea — and by 1950/1 the PG name was officially adopted. The company added "Tips" referring to the fact that only the tips (the top two leaves and bud) of the tea plants are used in the blend. ;)

LOL - that is really funny! I have to agree though, it certainly isn't tea!

Yep, no strength at all. Even with 2 tea bags and leaving it to brew, it doesn't really taste like tea. I've tried the mint tea and even that lack flavour.

As an aside peteukmcr - which TA are you doing?

We're on the Adventure 20th April Miami to Southampton

The wife loves PG Tips -it's the only tea she drinks! She needed decaf for awhile (medical reasons) and couldn't find any here so I ordered it from London. The price was pretty good and shipping was free. She has PG Tips breakfast tea every day with a little fruit plate :)

Edited by GonnaSailtoo

The wife loves PG Tips -it's the only tea she drinks! She needed decaf for awhile (medical reasons) and couldn't find any here so I ordered it from London. The price was pretty good and shipping was free. She has PG Tips breakfast tea every day with a little fruit plate :)

Here in PA, you can get it at some supermarkets.

I'm a creature of habit! About 20 years ago I found a little boutique coffee roaster here. They roast all their beans onsite and at 2 weeks from roasting date they go on the half price shelf. I buy all my beans there and grind fresh every morning and IMHO the coffee puts Starbucks to shame - and costs much less!

When I met my tea-loving wife about 6 years ago, I started noticing that they also sold loose tea of various varieties and flavors, so I started buying her tea every time I bought my coffee. She loves it and that's about all she drinks now - we alternate mostly between English Breakfast and Earl Grey, and usually also she has some "Apricot with Flowers" or sometimes Raspberry when she wants something different.

No easy way for me to bring my coffee, but her tea is easier. Thanks for the reminder, need to remember to bring a bag of tea and her steeper! :)

I'm a creature of habit! About 20 years ago I found a little boutique coffee roaster here. They roast all their beans onsite and at 2 weeks from roasting date they go on the half price shelf. I buy all my beans there and grind fresh every morning and IMHO the coffee puts Starbucks to shame - and costs much less!

When I met my tea-loving wife about 6 years ago, I started noticing that they also sold loose tea of various varieties and flavors, so I started buying her tea every time I bought my coffee. She loves it and that's about all she drinks now - we alternate mostly between English Breakfast and Earl Grey, and usually also she has some "Apricot with Flowers" or sometimes Raspberry when she wants something different.

No easy way for me to bring my coffee, but her tea is easier. Thanks for the reminder, need to remember to bring a bag of tea and her steeper! :)

For the die-hard coffee fan who wants to brew their own, you might consider one of the small French press pots that are now available in sturdier, less breakable form. Hot water is available at the promenade café, though I'm not sure how well it would work for brewing coffee. Sometimes it has been quite hot; other times not so much. (Or, if you are in a junior suite, you should have an electric kettle.)