Obstructed View Balconies

ksg

Like some of you, I booked Anthem way back on day 1 when the itineraries were released. I, too, booked 6562 with the impression that the obstruction was only 50%. After watching the QOS come into port at CL on Monday and getting a better view, I started getting concerned that this "coveted" cabin with the larger balcony actually had a much larger percentage obstruction than originally thought. I'm glad I read this thread because now I see I'm right. I just changed my cabin to 6160. Whew. Love this site. What would we do without it? :D

Edited by yj2cute

I am booked on the obstructed balcony in April 2015. This past transatlantic, we were on deck 8. Looking down at deck 6, if you are on your balcony and look down you are above the deck walkway and would not see water looking straight down. Looking straight out standing on your balcony you could see water further away as the life boat top is in front of you if sitting.

Hope this helps.

50% obs

6620, 6272, 6224, 6206,6192,6190,6182,8112,7514,7114,7112,6706,6702,6692,6690,6304,6300,6292,6690,6304,6292,6690,6304,6292,6290,6282,6280,6666,6600,6576,6564,6210,6166,6694,6688,6288,

75% obs

We are looking for the 3 nt on anthem next october. These are a lot cheaper then having an interior or ocean view. We had a balcony on independence this week and had fantastic weather. We had an interior last year right in the middle of hurricane type weather so didn't even venture outside on deck

Thank you. We are in cabin 6224. I'm glad to learn that I have only a 50% obstruction.

[ATTACH]331650[/ATTACH] we went on a cabin crawl today. I have a ob booked for March. Based on what I saw I'm going to switch. This is 50 percent obstructed. I took these pictures sitting on the chair on the balcony. [ATTACH]331651[/ATTACH]. Looking to the right

[ATTACH]331652[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Finally some useful pictures. That ruled out deck 6 for me at any time. Too much blockage for me.

Agreed, no view at all. I'd rather have one of the inside cabins with the video window.

A lot of people think the same way which made the insides and oceans views on our Anthem cruise significantly more than the obstructed balconies.

The obstructed balconies were then the first to sell out though :confused:

I've only recently started to get into cruising again but my thinking was that sitting outside with whatever view I got and fresh air with a book/food/drink would be more enjoyable than sitting inside with the screen.

Who knows though, I took the saving on the OB and a cruise is a cruise at the end of the day and beats work :)

Greg

Finally some useful pictures. That ruled out deck 6 for me at any time. Too much blockage for me.

There are some really nice D8 category cabins on deck 6 that are not obstructed - ours was 6540 - about 8 cabins ahead of the foward elevators - good location with good views.

A lot of people think the same way which made the insides and oceans views on our Anthem cruise significantly more than the obstructed balconies.

The obstructed balconies were then the first to sell out though :confused:

I've only recently started to get into cruising again but my thinking was that sitting outside with whatever view I got and fresh air with a book/food/drink would be more enjoyable than sitting inside with the screen.

Who knows though, I took the saving on the OB and a cruise is a cruise at the end of the day and beats work :)

Greg

I agree with you 100%. I spend a lot of time on our balcony and usually have to position myself so I can't see the water below us going by as it makes me seasick - the obstructed view solves that problem! As long as I can sit outside and enjoy the fresh air with privacy I'm happy. An inside cabin was only $200 cheaper when we booked so it was a no-brainer to go to the balcony for us (obstructed or not).

I am going to look as I get off tomorrow and see if there are some that are not as obstructed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The DOs on deck 7 aren't really obstructed. The difference is the balcony is the made of the steel superstructure of the ship. No glass at the bottom you have to stand up to see the water, but no life boat in the way. Also, there are 2 on deck 6, 6160 & 6560 that are the very first DOs at the front, no obstruction straight ahead, no lifeboat in the way, only small obstruction if you look to the right. No obstruction to the left. That's the one I booked.

There are some really nice D8 category cabins on deck 6 that are not obstructed - ours was 6540 - about 8 cabins ahead of the foward elevators - good location with good views.

Thanks. That's actually what I'm thinking about. D8 that is. I'm looking at the TA crossing and I want a nice view of the ocean. I just did the oasis TA and having a great view of the ocean while sitting on the balcony was fantastic

The DOs on deck 7 aren't really obstructed. The difference is the balcony is the made of the steel superstructure of the ship. No glass at the bottom you have to stand up to see the water, but no life boat in the way. Also, there are 2 on deck 6, 6160 & 6560 that are the very first DOs at the front, no obstruction straight ahead, no lifeboat in the way, only small obstruction if you look to the right. No obstruction to the left. That's the one I booked.

I had originally booked 6562 because of the larger balcony and then found out it was 75% obstructed. Changed to 6560 with, as you said, little or no obstruction.

On our cruise with the 4 of us in the one cabin booking the obstructed view was the cheapest cabin available. Given that thus cabin is larger than the inside or outside cabins it was a no brainer to book obstructed view or not.

I had originally booked 6562 because of the larger balcony and then found out it was 75% obstructed. Changed to 6560 with, as you said, little or no obstruction.

On our cruise with the 4 of us in the one cabin booking the obstructed view was the cheapest cabin available. Given that thus cabin is larger than the inside or outside cabins it was a no brainer to book obstructed view or not.

I had the same cabin. I think I saw your post with the info about the 75% obstruction which Iis why I switched. So thanks! :)

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk

Edited by yj2cute

I called RC. The man had to look up each individual cabin so I only asked him a few :o

Here's what he told me:

6570 50%

6572 75%

6170 50%

6172 75%

6616 75%

6618 50%

6608 50%

6610 50%

I wish I could have asked him every cabin. :eek: Maybe we can compile a list if other people call and ask for a few room numbers each. ;)

I think I pushed him to his limit he was getting testy on the last 2 lol

Deck 8 front DO cabins have no obstructions, unless you consider the slightly rounded balcony corners as an obstruction. Went in to see two of them yesterday and they were pretty good. If you look at the ship's picture, they are the very first two balconies on deck 8.

Edited by Arzeena

Deck 8 front DO cabins have no obstructions, unless you consider the slightly rounded balcony corners as an obstruction. Went in to see two of them yesterday and they were pretty good. If you look at the ship's picture, they are the very first two balconies on deck 8.

Hi! and welcome home!!! Great meeting you! As I posted above, the 50% obstructed cabins seemed too blocked when you sat on the balcony. So this morning before we got off the ship we walked the port side of deck six while the cabins were being cleaned and I took pictures of the cabins with the least obstruction. We choose the port side because the outdoor smoking shed is on deck 5 of the the starboard side directly under the obstructed (lifeboat) cabins.

The ones with the most view and the least obstruction of those whose doors were open this morning are:

I will post the pictures in the next post. I have to do it from my phone. I changed our March 1 booking to 6160 because it was open today. We may still see you in April from New Orleans! LOL