Ko Samui

Trend

Anyone have some pointers for the island we will have a half day on the island would like to snorkel or just beach it.

Maybe Bophut area where you can visit Fishermans' Village. Nice beaches nearby and not too busy, near enough to go see Big Buddha too.

My wife and I spent a part of our honeymoon on Samui last summer and it was lovely. That being said, we're the type of people who like to avoid crowds, which can be very difficult on an island as small and busy as Samui, especially if you don't have a quiet resort to fall back to (like we did).

But, if you are a person who doesn't mind crowds, Bophut is nice to visit, and would probably be a good bet over Chaweng Beach or Lamai Beach. Choengmon Beach is also nice, and quieter (in my experience).

Taxi drivers tend to be a pain there, and negotiation is almost a must if you're going to or from touristy spots.

• 2 weeks later...

We will visiting Ko Samui on the Sapphire Princess in Feb 2015, and we have decided to do "Chaweng Beach on your Own" excursion - as my wife & I are both "beach persons" (love to swim). I like the idea of swimming, coffee at a nearby cafe, a "little" bit of beach shopping (if you know what I mean)

We have visited Thailand before on a couple of occasions.

We will visiting Ko Samui on the Sapphire Princess in Feb 2015, and we have decided to do "Chaweng Beach on your Own" excursion - as my wife & I are both "beach persons" (love to swim). I like the idea of swimming, coffee at a nearby cafe, a "little" bit of beach shopping (if you know what I mean)

We have visited Thailand before on a couple of occasions.

Chaweng is the equivalent of Kuta in Bali or Benidorm in Spain:cool:

Crispb - I figured on that.

Strangely enough, we are doing another cruise later in 2015 out of Singapore on a P&O ship, which goes via Semerang, Lombok, Bali (Benoa), Dilli in East Timor, then across to Papua New Guinea islands, then lastly it docks in Brisbane (closest city to where I live), so that should be interesting to.

We thought it Bali looked interesting, we might fly back sometime & stay (not in Kuta) but at Nusa Dua, the resorts look better, perhaps have 10 days there.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just returned from a cruise that included Koh Samui. We took the ship's shuttle to Chaweng Beach and arrived around 9.30am before any of the shops were open.

The beach was lovely as it is long wide beach and at that time of the morning it was empty. After spending time on the beach, we had a drink at the café/hotel overlooking the beach and around 12 noon went to look at the shops which really were very ordinary. We ended up getting the shuttle back to the ship 45 minutes earlier than planned. The drive to and from Chaweng from where we anchored takes around 40 minutes.

We spent a week in Koh Samui back in 1992 and unfortunately, it is nothing like it was back then. We were only there from 7am until 2pm which was long enough.

Jennie

My wife and I spent a part of our honeymoon on Samui last summer and it was lovely. That being said, we're the type of people who like to avoid crowds, which can be very difficult on an island as small and busy as Samui, especially if you don't have a quiet resort to fall back to (like we did).

But, if you are a person who doesn't mind crowds, Bophut is nice to visit, and would probably be a good bet over Chaweng Beach or Lamai Beach. Choengmon Beach is also nice, and quieter (in my experience).

Taxi drivers tend to be a pain there, and negotiation is almost a must if you're going to or from touristy spots.

We are only there from early morning till 2 pm but wanted a beach we could snorkel at, any recommendations?

Couple of years ago we did a full day tour of Ko Samui as a ships shore tour. Wasn't very impressed with the place - ESPECIALLY Chaweng beach. The best part of the day was a nice lunch in an upmarket resort - restaurant right on the water.

Crispb - I figured on that.

Strangely enough, we are doing another cruise later in 2015 out of Singapore on a P&O ship, which goes via Semerang, Lombok, Bali (Benoa), Dilli in East Timor, then across to Papua New Guinea islands, then lastly it docks in Brisbane (closest city to where I live), so that should be interesting to.

Lucky you, that sounds like such an interesting cruise!