Disappointed with Carnival

skipsmith

Which ships have unlimited internet for $30???

None. It was a brief trial, and it didn't work well.

the internet connection is slow enough as it is. I cannot imagine how painful it would be if it was unlimited and free.

None. It was a brief trial, and it didn't work well.

the internet connection is slow enough as it is. I cannot imagine how painful it would be if it was unlimited and free.

If I remember correctly that when they discontinued that program that it was stated that so many people were trying to use it that it became extremely slow and that it wasn't working.

My experience has been that using the onboard internet is the most frustrating part of cruising...it is so slow. So much so that I don't even bother anymore except for airline check in if I can't help it.

The best bet, unless you absolutely have to be connected all the time is to wait for the next port of call. You can almost always find free internet that is much faster than what you will get on the ship. If you do have to pay it is typically just a few dollars an hour. Ask crew members where they go...that's how they call home.

FWIW, I own my own business and I don't call in or remain in contact when I'm on cruises or other vacations. In my experience most small business owners are egotistical micro-managers, but if your business is properly run (and you're not a one-man shop) your people should be able to get by for a week without input.

I put in some extra time the week before and the week after, but I am out of touch when I'm on vacation.

Agree totally.

Really, the world is not going to end if you aren't on the phone/internet with customers/clients/employers/employees all day, every day.

Remember the Good Old Days when people went on vacation and weren't expected to be available 24/7? I don't even check my email at work nonstop. I turned off the "ding" and disabled the popups. It wasn't so long ago that you got a call slip from the front desk and you returned calls twice a day. Now, if you don't respond IMMEDIATELY, people start harassing you. Don't suppose it ever occurs to anyone that all the unnecessary interruptions actually HURTS productivity rather than making people more productive?

Anyway, if I feel I MUST stay in touch, I use text. International texting is much cheaper than online or phone.

Agree totally.

Really, the world is not going to end if you aren't on the phone/internet with customers/clients/employers/employees all day, every day.

Remember the Good Old Days when people went on vacation and weren't expected to be available 24/7? I don't even check my email at work nonstop. I turned off the "ding" and disabled the popups. It wasn't so long ago that you got a call slip from the front desk and you returned calls twice a day. Now, if you don't respond IMMEDIATELY, people start harassing you. Don't suppose it ever occurs to anyone that all the unnecessary interruptions actually HURTS productivity rather than making people more productive?

Anyway, if I feel I MUST stay in touch, I use text. International texting is much cheaper than online or phone.

Agreed. It was actually difficult for me to let go the first time I tried it, but after a week I came back and there had been no issues. I had a mountain of calls and emails to respond to, but I didn't lose any customers or have any problems. Now I go away and tell my people not to call unless the building burns down. :D

Agreed. It was actually difficult for me to let go the first time I tried it, but after a week I came back and there had been no issues. I had a mountain of calls and emails to respond to, but I didn't lose any customers or have any problems. Now I go away and tell my people not to call unless the building burns down. :D

I'm with you, except that I tell the employees if the building burns down to call the fire department. Not a hell of a lot I can do about it when I'm half a world away....

Edited by megmno

FWIW, I own my own business and I don't call in or remain in contact when I'm on cruises or other vacations. In my experience most small business owners are egotistical micro-managers, but if your business is properly run (and you're not a one-man shop) your people should be able to get by for a week without input.

I put in some extra time the week before and the week after, but I am out of touch when I'm on vacation.

I own a family business that was started by my dad. While I loved him, he was one of those egotistical micro-managers who didn't take a week long vacation in over 30 years. He died of a massive heart attack at age 69.

I try to take at least a week off every year. Sometimes the employees don't do everything exactly as I would have, but somehow the show goes on....

I own my business and also have to stay connected. No big deal, I put cash on my account with the company credit card and use that for the internet package. I rarely check a forum when on vacation due to the slow internet speed, only e-mails. I've had to do proposals several times while on a cruise.

I'm with you, except that I tell the employees if the building burns down to call the fire department. Not a hell of a lot I can do about it when I'm half a world away....

:D

True, I can find out about the building burning down when I get home. I'll have to revise the employee handbook!

Glad you quantified 'most'.

It does depend greatly on the type of business. A storefront, mechanic or restaurant is very different than an office dealing with time sensitive matters such as legal or accounting.

DH staying in contact with his office IS the only way he can vacation. All notices have to go thru him. Our staff can cull thru the emails, mail, do the footwork and get paperwork out but cannot do exactly what he does. Most interesting call was a four-way conference call--NY, secretary in TX, office in CA and us in Rome. We got our monies worth from Skype that trip.

DH talking to the office less than 15minutes morning and night on vacation is much better than him working 16hr days at home.

:D

True, I can find out about the building burning down when I get home. I'll have to revise the employee handbook!

As long as everyone is safe, the building can collapse for all we care. Same goes for the house.

There was a trial run on a few ships with unlimited internet for $139.

Carnival CORPORATION is currently converting all their 100+ ships to a new internet service that is suppose to be faster and better.

Whether they go the unlimited internet route again ....well, we will just have to wait and see.

Personally, it would be a fabulous thing for us since our 22 year old son with Autism has aged out of all the groups...he spends a lot of time on the Internet at home and we would definitely purchase him the unlimited service.

This conversation reminds me of when we pulled into San Juan on a cruise. It was funny to see all the people on their phones. Yes we were included including our daughters calling boyfriends.

Would the business simply die because he wasn't there? Sorry, but to me, working on vacation isn't a vacation.

Funny. Working on vacation sucks, but I have had to do it for the last 20 plus years. If the alternative is to not go on vacation at all, which would you choose?

I cruised in the 90's with a satellite phone. Nice now to have more modern methods to communicate when necessary.

Like the OP, I also am disappointed that the unlimited internet did not spread fleet wide. I will be paying $159 for 8 hours of access on my cruise this month, and am hoping I don't need to use it all!

Kevin C

Edited by kmc500

Funny. Working on vacation sucks, but I have had to do it for the last 20 plus years. If the alternative is to not go on vacation at all, which would you choose?

I cruised in the 90's with a satellite phone. Nice now to have more modern methods to communicate when necessary.

Like the OP, I also am disappointed that the unlimited internet did not spread fleet wide. I will be paying $159 for 8 hours of access on my cruise this month, and am hoping I don't need to use it all!

Kevin C

Sorry, but I would choose a third alternative, either hire someone who is competent enough to cover for me or close the business for a week. Option 1 (work on vacation) or option 2 (never take a vacation) would not be options that would ever work for me.

If Carnival were smart and forward looking. They would find a way to provide free internet on board to all their passengers. Young people today (30 and under) love to constantly be connected to their friends. The first mass market cruise line that offers free wi if to all passengers will instantly win the loyalty of the entire generation. These people already fit Carnival's Forever Young and Fun target Demographic. I am sure it will be expensive and I am sure there are some technical challenges to over come. But every time somebody post a Lido deck video of them having fun, it will be like an unpaid Carnival commercial on Facebook. The key to doing this is to be seen as the leader and to keep upgrading the quality of your product.

from a business standpoint why would I let you have it for free if you are willing to pay for it. too many passengers will pay for wifi so there is no reason carnival would give it away for free. as for the videos. those people who do those are going to do it when they get home so carnival still gets the free commercial. not betting that wifi will be fee anytime soon on cruise ships.

If Carnival were smart and forward looking. They would find a way to provide free internet on board to all their passengers. Young people today (30 and under) love to constantly be connected to their friends. The first mass market cruise line that offers free wi if to all passengers will instantly win the loyalty of the entire generation. These people already fit Carnival's Forever Young and Fun target Demographic. I am sure it will be expensive and I am sure there are some technical challenges to over come. But every time somebody post a Lido deck video of them having fun, it will be like an unpaid Carnival commercial on Facebook. The key to doing this is to be seen as the leader and to keep upgrading the quality of your product.

voice of reason and reality,

we now live in a wired (and wireless) world, everyone (at least all those under 35 and most over) are on-line and connected 24/7. first cruiseline that joins the 21st century and adopts universal ubiquitous access wins.

Edited by monza

Being the OP of this message, it is interesting to see all the replies.

It is interesting to see the comments about the actual issue of unlimited internet and having it last year on the Magic and now it being not available. I agree with the person that stated this is a wired and wireless time and cruise ships need to catch up with the times in this area.

I also find it interesting that people will make judgments about your line of work and tell you how you should run your business. I think someone suggested I just close our doors for a week or not be a micro manager or hire someone that is competent....These comments come from someone that has no idea what a person does for a living. That is definitely not someone you would want to take business advice from...Good business advice comes from a person who looks at the type of business you are in and your processes and then lends their advice.

Hopefully Carnival will bring back the unlimited internet. If they do not, I will still be a Carnival fan and will just have to make other arrangements. Our cruise on the Magic last year was just fantastic. I will have to say that I never felt that I was over charged for anything and thought the money spent with Carnival was excellent for the experience we enjoyed. I guess that is why we are going again.

After thinking about it...I think maybe I felt over charged for one of the bingo games that I almost won. But Carnival made it up to me when I had that chocolate cake every night in the MDR. Life is good!

Skip

Edited by skipsmith

Being the OP of this message, it is interesting to see all the replies.

It is interesting to see the comments about the actual issue of unlimited internet and having it last year on the Magic and now it being not available. I agree with the person that stated this is a wired and wireless time and cruise ships need to catch up with the times in this area.

I also find it interesting that people will make judgments about your line of work and tell you how you should run your business. I think someone suggested I just close our doors for a week or not be a micro manager or hire someone that is competent....These comments come from someone that has no idea what a person does for a living. That is definitely not someone you would want to take business advice from...Good business advice comes from a person who looks at the type of business you are in and your processes and then lends their advice.

Hopefully Carnival will bring back the unlimited internet. If they do not, I will still be a Carnival fan and will just have to make other arrangements. Our cruise on the Magic last year was just fantastic. I will have to say that I never felt that I was over charged for anything and thought the money spent with Carnival was excellent for the experience we enjoyed. I guess that is why we are going again.

After thinking about it...I think maybe I felt over charged for one of the bingo games that I almost won. But Carnival made it up to me when I had that chocolate cake every night in the MDR. Life is good!

Skip

Just one correction. If you will reread my post, I did not suggest YOU close your doors for a week. I said I would close MY doors for a week if that is what it took to get a week's vacation in peace and quiet and that would not make me a bad business owner, just one with different priorities. Working on vacation is not a vacation (IMO). I just hope you don't end up like many people who work themselves literally to death because you can't carry that accumulated wealth with you to the grave. Some things are more important that money (again, just my opinion).

Edited by Out to sea!