Singles table?

trvlfan

I am traveling with my DH and sister, and was wondering if there are set up in any of the dining rooms (GDR and Terrace Cafe), any "permanent" singles tables, where one can join a group of like minded travelers? I would imagine there may be a singles group that the Social Director may organize, but if she did not want to formally attend that, is there, in fact, a "single travelers" dining table?

She has no interest in room service at dinner time, but maybe too shy to just invite herself to an occupied table with an empty chair...

The simplest way is to tell the maitre d' when you enter (say the Grand Dining Room) that you want to share. They will match you up with someone. Likewise, in booking specialty restaurants you say that you want to share.

I've never seen anything like a singles table. I *have* seen people sitting by themselves at a table for two, but assumed that was their preference. Maybe I shouldn't assume.

I remember one time when my husband was ill and so I went to dinner alone. I asked for a group table and was added to one that had about six other people. It was a lovely evening.

Going into Terrace by yourself can be more difficult if you are shy. In that case I sit at a table for four and hope someone will ASK to join me! Although, I do admit I'd probably be more likely to take a table for two if I'm alone. But you don't always see them. (It's easier on the "O" ships than on the "R" ships in this regard.)

Good luck!

Mura

If she goes to the dining room they will seat her with others if she asks for sharing ..not sure if they have a separate table for singles

We have had solo cruisers at our table

Hopefully one of the solo cruisers will have a better answer

I have noticed on some cruises they have a had a singles meet

Hopefully she will meet many new friends on the cruise

Lyn

Thanks Mura and Lyn for your suggestions. I am truly hoping she will meet some new friends on this trip... 18 days, 3 meals a day, plus, plus, plus.... can be wearing on any sibling relationship!

I will suggest the "sharing" request!:)

Thanks Mura and Lyn for your suggestions. I am truly hoping she will meet some new friends on this trip... 18 days, 3 meals a day, plus, plus, plus.... can be wearing on any sibling relationship!

I will suggest the "sharing" request!:)

Maybe once she joins some activities or tours she will meet others that she will enjoy their company & choose to dine with them

She may even get invites from the top staff ;)

Lyn

I wouldn't worry. I'm not single, but I'm shy (in person, not on Cruise Critic!) so I can relate. I sometimes eat or do excursions (ship's or otherwise) on my own, and to be quite honest, I am absolutely fine sitting alone if that's how it turns out. Perhaps that will be the same for her. I would probably just try to make it clear to her (very nicely of COURSE) that she doesn't HAVE to always dine, travel, etc. with you. My husband and I don't always want to eat at the same time or place, and he isn't interested in going out in the ports as much as I am.

If the whole "being with people" thing starts to wear on her (and very occasionally it does on me!), she can always just go to the Terrace for dinner (or other meals), find a quiet table (inside if cool or rainy) or outside (if nice), eat quickly, and be on her way. The Terrace food is quite good, and there are plenty of individual tables, so if you want to eat alone, it's usually easy to do that without wondering if people are wondering about you.

If she doesn't make any friends, I wouldn't worry about her, either. Some of us are just more reserved and independent, and don't worry if we don't have new friends for 18 days! When I took my first cruise, I was a little afraid that it would be too "people intensive" for me, but I've found that, at least on Oceania, where there is more space and fewer people than many (most?) lines, you can be as outgoing or as reserved as you want. If I want to be somewhat alone, I go to Horizons bar at the top of the ship (not to drink; just to read, look out, etc.), or the sun deck if I want to be outside but away from the mass of humanity at the pool, and, on the smaller ships, outside on one of the weather decks (forget which decks these are, but it's where you'll find limited loungers, sun, and people).

As for you, as someone who will be traveling for 18 days with her, hmm...I guess the same places and tactics appy - but I certainly wouldn't worry that you'll have to look out for her the whole time. I bet she'll be fine on her own, and you both will have fun.

Edited by roothy123

I bet she'll be fine on her own, and you both will have fun.

I am sure we will have fun (!!) - and hopefully will be independent somewhat too! My DH has no problem going off on his own, at the ports, but I'm not sure if DS is as willing to be independent!

We'll see!

When my husband and I boarded Riviera in November 2011, he was in the last stages of recovery from a serious bout of salmonella. For the first couple of days , he didn't always feel like eating. I dined by myself in the terrace as a solo. Each time, very pleasant people asked to join me. When DH recovered, some of the same people joined us. In fact, there is a chance we will sail together again. As long as your sister says "yes" when people approach, she will have an interesting time.

Mary

I am sure we will have fun (!!) - and hopefully will be independent somewhat too! My DH has no problem going off on his own, at the ports, but I'm not sure if DS is as willing to be independent!

We'll see!

This is not particular to a single person but the trick with anytime dining is to be seated with the rest of the people at your table, so that everyone orders together, gets each course together, and so on.

Unless she is looking for some sort of a shipboard romance (and it is absolutely no reflection on your sister when I say that the odds are not good), I'd suggest that she simply ask to share a table without mentioning "singles" at all.

Unless she is looking for some sort of a shipboard romance (and it is absolutely no reflection on your sister when I say that the odds are not good), I'd suggest that she simply ask to share a table without mentioning "singles" at all.

Good suggestion,romance is not in her itinerary, just good times, great food and enjoyable conversation. The hard part is getting her to be independent from us, without feeling rejected (a sibling issue... Not one that all of you kind responders need to resolve!)

I'm not trying to solve the -- well, I'm not sure it's a problem.

I'll just make a couple of suggestions.

When my husband and I took my mother on a cruise (our first with "O") we did have meals with her, but she also went around on her own and made friends of her own. She was about 80 at the time. We didn't feel the need to hover over her 24/7.

Your sister may also feel awkward about inserting herself into your meals ALL the time as well. One way to handle that is for the three of you to show up at a restaurant and say that you want to share with others. That way, she also has a chance of meeting more people that she might want to deal with on her own. And you might subtlely suggest at times that you'd like to be alone that evening, or lunch, or whatever. (Easy for me to say, I know.)

If I were to travel with my sister it would be a constant war, I'm sure. That doesn't mean that is your situation! The fact that you are willing to travel with your sister tells me that your relationship is a lot better than mine is with MY sister!

Also, if you dine at specialty restaurants you can ask to share, so that the three of you become a table of 4 or 6. On an early "O" cruise we shared a table in Toscana with a guest lecturer who was traveling along and a woman who was traveling along. We all had a wonderful time. (Well, I guess I'm speaking for them when I say that. But certainly it was not an awkward evening.)

Another possibility is to make arrangements at your roll call and see if you cannot set up some dinners in advance. We have done that with great success. It's true that you don't know when emailing people if you will want to have a whole dinner with them, but as I say, these meal times have worked out fine with us. Sometimes when we say we'll share with strangers, it's a little awkward ... but it's never been terrible.

By the way, have you signed up at your roll call? I don't think you indicated your specific cruise. But on the roll call you could well find others to accompany on tours and at meal times where you could all be more independent of each other.

Just some suggestions ... Hopefully they are helpful.

Mura

We most often ask for a sharing table in the GDR. Not a problem and actually the maître d is happy! If you all do it, then she will see how easy it is. (I know someone else said that, it bears repeating !)

Also on our last cruise - Beijing to Bangkok, there were hosted singles lunches.

thanks Mura and Tansy Mews, we'll definitely embrace the sharing table concept, something we have done on our own on previous cruises to enjoy some lively meal time conversations. Our roll call has recently revealed some other single women traveling with us, will search them out at the M & G, and see if we can gather informally or at a meal as well.

Working hard to keep the sibling happy and not feeling "left out". In our 60s, it seems like this should not be an issue.... but it is, with hyper sensitive feelings that could be hurt.

On our last cruise we shared a table with singles traveling several times. We would be the only couple and everyone else was traveling by themselves. I would suggest though that she ask for sharing a table with 6 or less as the bigger tables tend to be difficult to have conversations. Also the service tends to be slower with the larger tables as well. For the specialty restaurants we again were matched up with single people. Some of them were fascinating to talk to as they had traveled extensively and could offer good tips on traveling while others had very interesting jobs which made for good discussions. Tell your sister that people are very friendly and do include all. There may be the odd couple that does not but then they are probably very shy and find it hard to meet others.