Need Travel Insurance Recommendations

njgirl

You may actually already have it. I believe that a personal liability umbrella policy will cover liability subject to a deductible (read the policy).

Thanks, but that was my first stop- with no luck. Customer rep told me that their coverage ends at the border.

Very true. I never do, unless required by law in some few countries.

A question though: Does anybody know of a source for added LIABILITY coverage in foreign countries- other than the rental agency itself, of course? I have been unable to find anybody who sells this.

OK...you ruined my day :) I spent a good portion researching liability insurance and options. Net is that you are sort of correct.

The car rental agency must provide you with the basic minimum liability coverage when you rent a car. Many, if not all, offer additional insurance options.

CDW is pretty well covered by your credit card or the amex coverage per rental options...in fact it's better than the CDW option sold by the car rental company which has a hidden deductible of 5% of the value of the car....so it's not a full waiver...in fact, as I read it, it's a bit Frxxxxxnt. I'm sure this varies by car company..I researched Hertz.

Now on the liability side, the plot thickens. They provide basic coverage ($40K) and they offer extended liability coverage up to $1M for something around $10 a day. However, if you have a personal liability umbrella policy, it likely (read it) covers you anywhere in the world and it probably cuts in at less than $1M....for example it might cut in at $500,000. If you don't take the rental company extended liability coverage, you would, in this case, be responsible for $360K and then your umbrella policy would cut in.

BTW...all the above is if you rent outside the US because in the US, your regular auto insurance policy probably covers you on everything so any other insurance is redundant.

I've poked at my insurance agent to see if there is any alternative insurance to cover the gap....

Note: I believe if you are in the UK (or most anywhere outside the USA) your credit cards may offer some liability insurance. I found references to UK cards providing it...not sure elsewhere. Check your credit card companies because you might not have this "problem"

Edited by ghstudio

After my most recent cruise, I will buy Celebrity insurance. On my last cruise, a man that we met on board died. His wife has praises for Celebrity and was amazed by all the things that the insurance paid. Celebrity helped her make all the necessary arrangements. And paid for everything. They were wonderful.

OK...you ruined my day :) I spent a good portion researching liability insurance and options. Net is that you are sort of correct.

The car rental agency must provide you with the basic minimum liability coverage when you rent a car. Many, if not all, offer additional insurance options.

CDW is pretty well covered by your credit card or the amex coverage per rental options...in fact it's better than the CDW option sold by the car rental company which has a hidden deductible of 5% of the value of the car....so it's not a full waiver...in fact, as I read it, it's a bit Frxxxxxnt. I'm sure this varies by car company..I researched Hertz.

Now on the liability side, the plot thickens. They provide basic coverage ($40K) and they offer extended liability coverage up to $1M for something around $10 a day. However, if you have a personal liability umbrella policy, it likely (read it) covers you anywhere in the world and it probably cuts in at less than $1M....for example it might cut in at $500,000. If you don't take the rental company extended liability coverage, you would, in this case, be responsible for $360K and then your umbrella policy would cut in.

BTW...all the above is if you rent outside the US because in the US, your regular auto insurance policy probably covers you on everything so any other insurance is redundant.

I've poked at my insurance agent to see if there is any alternative insurance to cover the gap....

Note: I believe if you are in the UK (or most anywhere outside the USA) your credit cards may offer some liability insurance. I found references to UK cards providing it...not sure elsewhere. Check your credit card companies because you might not have this "problem"

Sorry about your day. I didn't mean to cause any labor that wasn't mine.

I had been aware of umbrella policies, but I was hoping to find a company whose coverage would mesh with what I already have. My home/auto insurance company told me they specifically do not offer extended liability coverage for overseas. (After drilling down on their website, I see a notice that they do sell umbrella policies after all. I suspect that the person to whom I spoke doubles as a cruise line phone rep. So, that will require a repeat call to make sure.)

Meanwhile, after doing an online search for umbrella policies, I found a bunch. However, they either specifically exclude auto coverage in other countries, or they require you to have your basic auto policy through them as well. I do not wish to do the latter because our company was great when we had losses in the Sandy storm.

As to the credit card company, I already checked into that. No way, Jose.

So, if my insurance company says no again, I'll be back where I started: no problem in the U.S. but liable for the excess overseas. I'll keep trying online. I just think that there must be something out there that would be better than paying a per deum to the car rental company. If I find anything worthwhile, I'll report back.